Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: reconditioning door latches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
So since both of my doors had the dreaded "broken cam latch disease" and could only be opened from the inside, I decided to take the plunge.
Both plastic door cams are broken in the classical spot. I ordered new cams but I think we need to address the root cause.

Over 40 years ,the door handles & latches have been sprayed with everything from white lithium, to WD-40 and are seriously gummed up inside. They barely moved.

This is obviously what breaks the white plastic cam piece in the handle.

So I took my latches out and soaked them in engine degrease and scrubbed them good.
The plating alll looks like new, now for the real question:
What should I re-grease them with?
I could give them a final soak in mineral spirits, then a spray of white lithium....
Or do I use the new "high tech" anti-sieze that I use to clean my guns, or the stuff my locksmith swears by, or graphite..... Any experience?

Stu - as usual, over-thinking bootyshake.gif
markb
Don't forget to clean the stuff on the door. The rod, the receiver, etc. Those get gummed up too. NEVER use graphite!!!
eric9144
Mark, why not graphite? Just curious...
markb
Graphite gums things up, and is (believe it or not) an abrasive. I use a Wurth product when I rebuild lock sets.
Valy
Just rebuilt my door lock few weeks ago.
After the degrease in ultrasonic bath all worked well until it completely dried. Then I had to grease everything to make it move again. I used lithium grease
stugray
After the degrease in ultrasonic bath

Ooohhh.... I forgot that I have an ultrasonic cleaner....

I'll do that and go with the white lithium.

Stu
Elliot Cannon
You can lube it with just about anything. You just have to remember to take it apart and clean it all up every 40 years or so. lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.