Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone use these jack stands?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I have (like I suspect most of us have) the harbor freight 6 ton ratcheting stands. I was looking into some Esco stands but found these locally. They look like the standard ratcheting variety with an added pin for safety...it appears that when the pin is inserted, the pawl can't ratchet. They're pretty cost effective. Anyone here use them or have experience with them?

Pin Lock Jack Stands

ConeDodger
Rich,
Check out the all aluminum ones at Harbor Frieght. They are lightweight, more substantial, and with the coupons that seem to be always available, pretty cheap. I use mine in my track box.

To answer your question, they might be positively locked, but they look pretty wimpy.
ConeDodger
Rich,
Check out the all aluminum ones at Harbor Frieght. They are lightweight, more substantial, and with the coupons that seem to be always available, pretty cheap. I use mine in my track box.

To answer your question, they might be positively locked, but they look pretty wimpy.

Sorry... Just getting used to the iPad. Touching "add this" twice = double post!
rwilner
hey Rob
I have some steel HF ones now. They have always seemed rock solid to me, but with all the discussion of pinned jack stands lately I've been looking into the options.

The ESCO ones seem like the only true pinned option out there, but they are enormous, expensive and must be shipped. I was hoping to find something similar that was a reasonable cost and I could pick up on the way home.
Tom_T
It would depend on if the pin also prevents the notched lift bar to wiggle & slip, & if it's beefy enough alone to hold the weight of the car on the stands, if the handle gets bumped enough to jiggle the ratchets loose.

Many on here - myself included - won't go near a ratcheted jack stand because they can & have slipped or the lever gets bumps...then your noggin does! Several members have been seriously injured under their car when the ratchet type gave way.

Apparently the ratcheting type must be cheaper to make, because only a few of the most expensive stands have pins now, but the bucks are worth not getting injured, medical expenses, & possibly missing work &/or permanent physical problems.
rwilner
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 18 2012, 11:45 AM) *

It would depend on if the pin also prevents the notched lift bar to wiggle & slip

the E$CO jack stands wiggle and slip too...check out this animation I stole from the E46 site.
billh1963
QUOTE(rwilner @ Jun 18 2012, 10:25 AM) *

I have (like I suspect most of us have) the harbor freight 6 ton ratcheting stands. I was looking into some Esco stands but found these locally. They look like the standard ratcheting variety with an added pin for safety...it appears that when the pin is inserted, the pawl can't ratchet. They're pretty cost effective. Anyone here use them or have experience with them?

Pin Lock Jack Stands

I use some just like that...but I still back it up with a jack, blocks of wood, etc....
brant
I use those exact northern tool ones.
they are HEAVY.... built like a tank
I promise they are not wimpy and not wiggly

6 ton units... so you could stack 5 or more teeners on them without trouble.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.