Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black Windshield and Sail Trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Rant6
Hi. I recently bought an "all original" 1975 914 2.0 in fairly decent shape. It has the appearance package and the sport package with an unusual white colored interior and a copper colored body for a real 70's pimp-mobile look.

The windshield trim and the sail trim are painted a gloss black. Though I think the car could use some more "bling" (i.e. chrome trim), the paint on these parts looks very good. I'm trying to understand if this is original, or if these parts were painted at some point. I've found that a couple of special addition 914's did have the trim painted black, but all other accounts seem to point to chrome trim. I'm hoping that it is original because it would be a bear to try and remove the paint, but I'm thinking that it is not.

Does anyone know if the black trim might be the original finish? Thanks.
JeffBowlsby
The black trim on your 914 would not be original, which would be clear anodized aluminum. You will need ot replace the trim to get it back to original finish.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 18 2012, 05:01 PM) *
The black trim on your 914 would not be original, which would be clear anodized aluminum. You will need to replace the trim to get it back to original finish.

agree.gif

PS: welcome.png
Pat Garvey
Some pics would help.
bembry
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Some pics would help.

Yes! That car sounds cool--you can't just leave us all hangin' without pics...
Rant6
QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 20 2012, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 20 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Some pics would help.

Yes! That car sounds cool--you can't just leave us all hangin' without pics...

Hi folks. Sorry for the delayed response. I was pleasantly surprised to log back in and see that I had several responses to my query. You guys are just as nutty as I am about cars, which makes this a great place for me!

I had suspected that the trim finish is not correct. Did I read somewhere that these parts are almost impossible to get?

I'm at work, and it is raining out now, but I'll snap a few pics over the next day or so and post. I'm really enjoying this car!

Mike
JawjaPorsche
914Rubber sells them:

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-c...color-914WC.htm
Pat Garvey
Go with Mark - he's the best!
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Rant6
OK, I'm a little embarrased to ask this question, but how do I post an image from my own hard drive? When I try to insert an image using "insert image", I get a dialog box asking for a url, but my images are not on the web. I searched "Help" with no luck. I looked for some way to post images to my account in general (as opposed to posting them directly in the message) so that I could link to them, but no luck there either.

icon8.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rant6 @ Nov 8 2012, 03:58 AM) *

OK, I'm a little embarrased to ask this question, but how do I post an image from my own hard drive? When I try to insert an image using "insert image", I get a dialog box asking for a url, but my images are not on the web. I searched "Help" with no luck. I looked for some way to post images to my account in general (as opposed to posting them directly in the message) so that I could link to them, but no luck there either.

icon8.gif

It's in the FAQ:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637
scotty b
Just to get Tom going. Didn't the creamsicle LE models have black trim ? Not sure if it was low gloss paint or anodized
bulitt
1) Click on "add reply" not - "fast reply" for the thread.
Your reply window opens

2) Scroll down under the smiley's and click on the "browse" button next to the empty file attachment box

3)select the picture off your hard drive

4)now click "add this attachment"

5)your picture is now loaded into the file attachment queing box but not into the post yet.

6) click on your reply window the spot where you want to add the picture.

7) drop back down to the que'ed picture and click on "add into post" box.

8)click "add this" at the bottom of the page.

Post pics of the copper car with white interior!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(scotty b @ Nov 22 2012, 04:18 AM) *

Just to get Tom going. Didn't the creamsicle LE models have black trim ? Not sure if it was low gloss paint or anodized

Both 1974 LE models, Bumblebee and Creamsicle had the three aluminum pieces of the rear Targa bar as satin black painted trim, incl the two screws, all other exterior metal trim was bright. All 1974 914s had black plastic rear tailbadges too.
914Sixer
Early base model cars (70-72) had trim painted to match car color. These pieces were not anodized and then painted over as the 74 LE cars were.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 6 2012, 10:54 PM) *

Early base model cars (70-72) had trim painted to match car color. These pieces were not anodized and then painted over as the 74 LE cars were.

Yep, for the base models.
AlanG
Maybe I should have started a new thread but this seems to be the topic I have a question about.

My '72 has a black, rubber-like material on the windshield pillars and across the top. I do recall having seen pictures of one other 914 with similar trim. Anyone know the background on this?

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(AlanG @ Dec 31 2012, 06:48 PM) *
My '72 has a black, rubber-like material on the windshield pillars and across the top. I do recall having seen pictures of one other 914 with similar trim. Anyone know the background on this?

Yes. First, your car is a '73 and an early one at that. The door decal should have a build date of '72 but i'm certain your VIN starts with 473 ...

The first 1000 or so of MY '73 had the black windshield pillar trim. There are several threads about these here already.
shades.gif

AlanG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2012, 11:08 PM) *

Yes. First, your car is a '73 and an early one at that. The door decal should have a build date of '72 but i'm certain your VIN starts with 473 ...

The first 1000 or so of MY '73 had the black windshield pillar trim. There are several threads about these here already.
shades.gif

I'm really not the argumentative type but, my VIN is 4722910267.
SirAndy
QUOTE(AlanG @ Dec 31 2012, 08:15 PM) *

shades.gif

In that case the vinyl on your windshield pillar is not original.
shades.gif

10267 is right in the middle of the '72 production run and way too early for the vinyl to be from the factory.

Here is a link to a thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67816

AlanG
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 31 2012, 11:39 PM) *

QUOTE(AlanG @ Dec 31 2012, 08:15 PM) *

shades.gif

In that case the vinyl on your windshield pillar is not original.
shades.gif

10267 is right in the middle of the '72 production run and way too early for the vinyl to be from the factory.

Here is a link to a thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=67816

Thanks. That's very interesting. I wish I had more background on its history. Based on how faded it was when I first got it, I'd guess its been there for quite a while.

Happy New Year!
AlanG
As I look into more "oddities" of my car, I have found that it has a "Fasten Seat Belt" light (not working) which didn't appear until '73 and the heater controls are from a post '72.

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.