Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignore this post
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
My alternator hasn't been working for a long time. I have rebuilding my engine so I never needed one. I replaced it tonight with a new Bosch 55a (what a pain). I hooked everything up and now when I go to hook up the battery- the wire arcs across to the battery post when I try to hook it up- wtf!!! I am an electrical idiot (along with other things). Anything is possible. I have made no other changes other than the new alternator. Inside the alternator, I did have to hook up the harness wires. I hooked up three things on the inside of the alternator- the big red wire to the area pictured, the wire from the black box on the alternator to the area arrowed and the obvious three pronged plug. There was a rubber boot around the red plug that was brittle and I suppose may not be insulating the ring connector well however I dont see how that would be a big deal.
Lennies914
How did you determine that your original alt. was bad? I would unplug the three prong harness and/or remove the voltage regulator off the relay board and see if it still arcs.
infraredcalvin
I don't recall what my 914 alt looks like, but I just pulled the alt out of my 930 yesterday, there was a big ground strap in addition to the 3 wires I pulled. Are you missing a ground?
tornik550
Well- it turns out that I am not just an electrical idiot- I must be just a general idiot. I forgot to hook up the three prong plug on the relay board. Damn it.

My goal is to someday post something that is half way intelligent. Maybe someday.
Dr Evil
av-943.gif With a title like "Ignore this post" I have to look.
markb
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 18 2012, 07:23 PM) *

av-943.gif With a title like "Ignore this post" I have to look.

agree.gif

biggrin.gif
shuie
This post?
Mark Henry
This problem is caused by a RTMS failure. smile.gif
Chris H.
Can't..............ignore............... hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.