Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Current measurements thru main fuse, fuses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom
Been meaning to get this done and finally got around to it today. Wanted to make sure a 30 amp ATC style fuse would handle a 35 amp load without overheating the fuse holder and/or blowing.
Fuse was in-line with the 4 red wires from the battery. Ran 36.85 amps thru it for 15 minutes and removed to check the fuse. barely warm.
Following are the results I got.
engine running - 6.0 amps
add radio - +1.1 amps
add high beams - +10.6 amps
add fog lights - +9.4 amps
add emergency flashers + 5.25 amps
add wipers - + 4.5 amps
Total 36.85 amps
My fresh air blower is not working and my heater blower is not installed but seperate testing on the heater blower was about 5 amps. I would expect the fresh air blower is about the same. Those with high output stereos would see more than my simple radio.
I don't know how often one would have everything on at the same time, but some who purchased fuse block kits may be interested to know these results, especially those with the early cars that only have one large wire going to the front fuse panel area.
Tom
shoguneagle
This is excellent general information. I used something similar in the conversion of the 3.2 engine (sixer) into my 914. I did add fans and additional wiring including new radio and speakers. I will use this information to recheck my wiring configurations.

Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 19 2012, 12:54 AM) *

add high beams - +10.6 amps
add fog lights - +9.4 amps

Since those two are not wired to run together (and in fact it is illegal to do so in Europe) most stock wired 914s should run at least 10 amps less max ...

shades.gif
Tom
Andy,
I thought the headlights had to be on for the fogs to work? No? I can't check mine as I have the fog light flasher mod installed.
Difference between low and high beams for stock headlights are less than 1 amp.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 19 2012, 01:25 PM) *
I thought the headlights had to be on for the fogs to work?

Headlights, yes. High-beams, big no-no ...
shades.gif

QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 19 2012, 01:25 PM) *
Difference between low and high beams for stock headlights are less than 1 amp.

Not on my car. confused24.gif
euro911
That's why I ordered one of them thar 6-fuse models shades.gif

If I install any additional devices, like a high power stereo amp (with a 2-ohm cap), I'll run a larger gauge wire (#10 or even #8 AWG) through the tunnel to the battery via one of the spare fuses.

Andy, what wattage headlights are you running?
Tom
Andy,
On mine low beams are 9.3 amps, high beams are 10.6 amps. I do have stock headlights. Per Haynes they are 50 watt lows, 60 watt highs. So only 10 watts difference between highs and lows. I am guessing most have some higher power lamps installed.
I was using lowest likely for our cars, and I'm sure some have much more amperage draws.
Never knew that about the laws in Europe, but it does make sense. Even here I know driving with high beams on during fog conditions is detrimental to seeing where you are going. Low beams with or without fog lights is generally better.
Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jun 19 2012, 05:10 PM) *
On mine low beams are 9.3 amps, high beams are 10.6 amps. I do have stock headlights. Per Haynes they are 50 watt lows, 60 watt highs. So only 10 watts difference between highs and lows. I am guessing most have some higher power lamps installed.

I thought mine were stock, but apparently, they aren't. ...
driving.gif
Elliot Cannon
My fog lights have been replaced with driving lights. My lights are wired so the driving lights and high beems can be on at the same time. I think I remember wiring it that way when I upgraded the fuse panel. (But then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday). confused24.gif lol-2.gif
Cheers, Elliot
Mike Bellis
Electric motors go to full torque at start up. The starting amps are 3 times what you measure at RMS amperage.

I run a 200A fuse between my battery and disconnect. Works fine through the starter too. My electrical system is heavily modified. The 2 large wires that a 914 has from the battery to the dash are now fused and routed to the front trunk. I pulled the wires out of the loom and ran to inline fuses. I run a GM 1 wire alt with a #2awg cable to the starter. This completes the charging cycle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.