Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
scotty b
In the beginning there was......
scotty b
smile.gif
scotty b
Uh oh that's not gold unsure.gif Looks like the rear has been clipped
scotty b
smile.gif The Ziebart boys got a little carried away. but a couple of engine degreaser baths and a towel took care of that mess
MDG
smilie_pokal.gif Looking forward to watching this one. Question: what's the plumbing behind the front bumper for?
bulitt
I think that's his oil cooler...
Cairo94507
I am so excited to see this thread as my car starts to come apart. Thank you Scott for posting this I hope everyone enjoys the progression of this build.

I will be interested to see what Scott finds re the rear end. I had no indications of the car having serious accident damage. The engine compartment is still the original color and areas of the trunk were still the original color too. Well, we shall see. Regardless, if it was not done right, it will be now.

MGD that is the oil cooler system; it runs up the passenger side long and across the front bumper area and returns to the engine. No actual cooler, it just cools the oil via the copper pipe and the trip to the front and back. Apparently it was effective as the previous owner said the car never ran hot.

shoguneagle
Very interesting and rewarding car project. I have seen that type of oil cooler before but with the thermo/bypass valve installed. I am putting a modified version in my clone Sixer. apparently they do work so we shall see.
scotty b
Does anyone know what this is ? It is on the drivers side and uses factory looking dome head screws. I also forgot about the speaker mod pics barf.gif
Cairo94507
Did the seat belt tongue sit in that? Shot in the dark here.....
cwpeden
The piece on the inner long is a seatbelt holder. I may be wrong but there should be one on both sides. Or was that only with adjustable seats?

My 72 4 had it on both sides
scotty b
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 19 2012, 04:42 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Looking forward to watching this one. Question: what's the plumbing behind the front bumper for?

Mobile still beerchug.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 19 2012, 05:26 AM) *

The piece on the inner long is a seatbelt holder. I may be wrong but there should be one on both sides. Or was that only with adjustable seats?

Ah makes sense. This car only had the one in it. Was this a six only feature or did the early 4's have it as well ?
porbmw
I think they were only on the drivers' side....and indeed are for the belt. Mine had neither side, have been trying to sort that out. Are there any holes for the screws in the sheetmetal, or does it just attach to the carpet?

Looking forward to watching this....wish I"d taken a series of pics, not just for thread value, but so I could figure out how to reassemble years later sad.gif

Please keep us posted
cwpeden
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 19 2012, 06:28 AM) *

Ah makes sense. This car only had the one in it. Was this a six only feature or did the early 4's have it as well ?

There was debate on this a couple years back and my 72 4 cylinder car had both sides.
walterolin
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 19 2012, 09:36 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 19 2012, 06:28 AM) *

There was debate on this a couple years back and my 72 4 cylinder car had both sides.

I have a 1.7 manufactured August 1970 - it had the holder on the driver's side. Probably had one on the other side before the rust set in.
sixerdon
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2012, 05:25 AM) *

Yes. Only on the driver side with the moveable seat. My /6, #0137 did not come with it, but my #0876 did. There has been some discussion as to whether it was factory (Karmann installed) or after market. IMOH, it was factory as I have seen them on '71's also. They could be on both sides of a '72 prior to the retractable belts, but I have not a '72 up close. Many get broken or lost, so consider yours a unique part.
They were screwed into the metal and the two that I have (one was a '71 /4) were in identical locations.
Good pictures. I'll be watching.
Don
MDG
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 19 2012, 09:27 AM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 19 2012, 04:42 AM) *

Mobile still beerchug.gif

So originally an Arkansas car?
Al Meredith
Do a search for that seat belt holder, I remember reading about it before. I too have a real 6 and need to know. Al
gms
I have found these seat belt holsters on the drivers side (only) on 1970-71 fours and sixes. the non-retractable seat belt years on the adjustable seat side of the car.
I have never parted out a 1972 so I cannot say for sure.
Eric_Shea
Gold*Gold*Gold!!! biggrin.gif
Ferg
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 19 2012, 06:29 AM) *

Gold*Gold*Gold!!! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif
sixnotfour
Is the driver side rear fender a replacement ? Red primer on sail panel makes me wonder...
Dr Evil
Much nicer than the other turds you have been messing with lately wink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 19 2012, 07:39 AM) *

Is the driver side rear fender a replacement ? Red primer on sail panel makes me wonder...

I don't think so. What you see in the pics is actually a very mild case of surface rust, but we will know more in a week or 2 smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 19 2012, 06:57 AM) *
I have found these seat belt holsters on the drivers side (only) on 1970-71 fours and sixes. the non-retractable seat belt years on the adjustable seat side of the car.

I have a '70 /4 and my longs don't have the screw holes for the holder on either side.

Seeing how crudely those are usually attached, i venture to guess they were probably dealer installed and *not* from the factory ...
popcorn[1].gif
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2012, 11:36 AM) *

Hey, not nice dry.gif
OU8AVW
Sweet ride. Have fun!
billh1963
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Jun 19 2012, 04:21 PM) *

Hey, not nice dry.gif

He was probably referring to my green car... biggrin.gif

He's just jealous because he's riding around in a lesbian car with a rod knock . Ask him how many running/driving 914's he has... poke.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 19 2012, 09:57 AM) *

My 71 has it on the driver side only. No screw holes on the passenger side. Factory installed.
Michael N
What color will the car be when finished? Keeping black or going back to original color?
Cairo94507
Michael-

My plan, as of now, keeping in mind that could change between now and paint time, is to go ivory white. I seriously can not own a gold car. If I was just going to paint it and sell it then it would be gold. I plan on keeping it and driving it so no gold for me. The next in line color would likely be either irish green or adriatic blue and then silver is added to the list. I am 99% positive it will be light ivory though.

The car has been black since it was apparently 1 year old. That has to say something about how much the original owner liked the gold....
Dr Evil
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 19 2012, 04:26 PM) *

Hey, not nice dry.gif

He's just jealous because he's riding around in a lesbian car with a rod knock . Ask him how many running/driving 914's he has... poke.gif

Ah, the truth cuts both ways smile.gif

Touche!
billh1963
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 19 2012, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 19 2012, 04:26 PM) *

Hey, not nice dry.gif

Ah, the truth cuts both ways smile.gif

Touche!

All in good fun! I think Scott is working on less rusty cars and letting mine sit so that he can remember what a solid car looks like! evilgrin.gif
Cairo94507
Well mine may be less rusty (praying to the Porsche Gods and the rust Gods) but I am sure we will see enough rust on my car car to require surgery. I am just hoping it is on the lighter side of 41 year old rust.
hot_shoe914
He has a non rusty specimen waiting for him when he gets done with all these crusty turds. Just waiting on all the rusty ones to be gone so they don't infect the good one. beerchug.gif
elmonte
Michael

Great to see that the restro has started. Trying to find the time to get together with you to talk shop.

Cheers
Cairo94507
I would love that; you could bring the NSX or I could come over to your place. Let me know.
Michael

QUOTE(elmonte @ Jun 19 2012, 06:50 PM) *

Michael

Great to see that the restro has started. Trying to find the time to get together with you to talk shop.

Cheers

Michael N
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2012, 02:24 PM) *

Michael-

My plan, as of now, keeping in mind that could change between now and paint time, is to go ivory white. I seriously can not own a gold car. If I was just going to paint it and sell it then it would be gold. I plan on keeping it and driving it so no gold for me. The next in line color would likely be either irish green or adriatic blue and then silver is added to the list. I am 99% positive it will be light ivory though.

The car has been black since it was apparently 1 year old. That has to say something about how much the original owner liked the gold....

I have gotta love white light ivory biggrin.gif .

Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
6freak
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 19 2012, 06:25 AM) *

yes sir it does
smile.gif
gms
Looks like the front panel was also replaced, this should have holes in the panel.
the later panels had not holes stamped. the early headlight buckets do not line up with the late panels...did they replace the buckets too?
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Glenn, The later replacement fits all years. The later headlight buckets are shorter to allow the bumper shocks.
scotty b
One other things I have found odd ( remember this is my first time completely disassembling a 6 ) is all of the additional sound deadening in it. Both inner rockers were coverd top and sides and then there were pieces on both wheel wells and two smaller squares on the front firewall. I also found two small dia holes in the pass front floor pan that had rubber plugs in them confused24.gif Never seen that before on any 4 cylinder

also I thought the 47 stamp on the gas tank was cool. Another thing I've not seen before smile.gif There is another stamp on top I forgot to get a pic of. Can't quite make out what it is. I'll get a pic tomorrow
Mike Bellis
Looks like a "body in white", painted gold... confused24.gif idea.gif
bigkensteele
I dig the gold. I have never seen that color on another car, and if this is going to be a high quality resto, I think that the value it will add would be big. Can somebody do a PhotoShop?!?!?
pete000
I vote to make it gold again ! aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Very nice so far. Fortunately, when it comes to color, this is not going to proceed as a democracy.....gold is not in the future of this car. Sorry.
EdwardBlume
I dunno, gold is rare flashy and says something like I'm somebody!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 27 2012, 04:48 AM) *

Very nice so far. Fortunately, when it comes to color, this is not going to proceed as a democracy.....gold is not in the future of this car. Sorry.

A little late, but don't ever use that seat belt receiver.
When the buckle is inserted it sticks straight up. When you attempt to sit you will either break the receiver or the buckle will go right where the sun don't shine. Ouch !
Gold is unusual and certainly original but I don't think I would go with it either. And I'm a big fan of original.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.