Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 13" wheels on 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bobby Smith
Has anyone had success fitting a 13" wheel on a 914. I'm looking to run a 10x13 but in the past the wheels I tried would not clear the calipers. Does any 13" wheel fit? If so, I'd like to buy 4.
Thanks.
toolguy
On my six, 14 inch Fuchs just barely miss the calipers. .
falconfp2001
QUOTE(Bobby Smith @ Jun 19 2012, 04:35 PM) *

Has anyone had success fitting a 13" wheel on a 914. I'm looking to run a 10x13 but in the past the wheels I tried would not clear the calipers. Does any 13" wheel fit? If so, I'd like to buy 4.
Thanks.

There is someone who races here that fit 13" wheels on his fiber glassed flared 914/4 but I forget who.

It looks wicked low though.
rohar
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Jun 19 2012, 05:20 PM) *

Thanks.

There is someone who races here that fit 13" wheels on his fiber glassed flared 914/4 but I forget who.

Trekkor! He's running VW fox brakes to clear the rims and seems to be meeting some success.
ottox914
QUOTE(rohar @ Jun 19 2012, 09:08 PM) *

Thanks.

Trekkor! He's running VW fox brakes to clear the rims and seems to be meeting some success.

He did need to add flairs and cut the fenders to make it all fit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=165916&hl=

http://www.axpaddock.com/viewtopic.php?f=4...&hilit=rims
silver74insocal
why is this in classifieds? beer3.gif
falconfp2001
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(rohar @ Jun 19 2012, 09:08 PM) *

Thanks.

He did need to add flairs and cut the fenders to make it all fit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=165916&hl=

http://www.axpaddock.com/viewtopic.php?f=4...&hilit=rims

Oh man, I remember reading his thread on this and his car looks wicked low taking the corners but so cool.
EdwardBlume
Trekor and borderline.
Randal

Trekkor was first, Bill Charron was second.

Bill drives to the Autox and returns home with 15" rims. He puts his 13"ers on at the event. Everything he needs for the event is in his car. Pretty smart.

Make enough noise and I'm sure he'll post everything he did to get all the calipers/rotors and wheels correct. Big Job. biggrin.gif

Trekkor used calipers off other cars to get the combination to work.

You gotta wonder what Trekkor is going to think of next.... cheer.gif

Borderline
Yeah Trekkor is using 13" steel wheels. The steel wheels have a taper to the barrel and he manages to get them to clear by spacing them out some.

As my car is still a narrow body and I want to keep it that way, I went through a lot of work to the brakes and struts to get the 13's to fit. I ended up buying "Real Racing wheels" custom built to my size and with the 4 bolt pattern. Their price was very good for custom built wheels. And they are light too!!! 10 lbs !!!

I took off about 80 lbs of unsprung wt between the wheels/tires brakes and rotors!
Bobby Smith
Thanks for all of the great info and sorry if my WTB 13 wheels was in the wrong area of the site. I've been running 10x 15's for many years and a few years ago Hoosier stopped making the 22.5x9.5 bias slick in the soft R25 compound. You can still get that compound in 13" sizes. I may just end up running Hoosier radial slicks or their 275/35-15 A-6. Maybe even Avons.
Cheers, Bobby
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 21 2012, 08:06 AM) *

I took off about 80 lbs of unsprung wt between the wheels/tires brakes and rotors!

wow beerchug.gif
first.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 21 2012, 11:06 AM) *

Yeah Trekkor is using 13" steel wheels. The steel wheels have a taper to the barrel and he manages to get them to clear by spacing them out some.

As my car is still a narrow body and I want to keep it that way, I went through a lot of work to the brakes and struts to get the 13's to fit. I ended up buying "Real Racing wheels" custom built to my size and with the 4 bolt pattern. Their price was very good for custom built wheels. And they are light too!!! 10 lbs !!!

Why did you do this, and can you talk about the steps?

rich
Borderline
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 21 2012, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Borderline @ Jun 21 2012, 11:06 AM) *

Why did you do this, and can you talk about the steps?

rich

I'll start a new thread with some photos
ottox914
QUOTE(Bobby Smith @ Jun 21 2012, 12:13 PM) *

Thanks for all of the great info and sorry if my WTB 13 wheels was in the wrong area of the site. I've been running 10x 15's for many years and a few years ago Hoosier stopped making the 22.5x9.5 bias slick in the soft R25 compound. You can still get that compound in 13" sizes. I may just end up running Hoosier radial slicks or their 275/35-15 A-6. Maybe even Avons.
Cheers, Bobby

Avons are awesome. A Dmod guy in our club got some for his Lotus 7 clone. At our 1st event of the season, in April, with high temps in the 40's, you could squish your thumb into the tread and leave a fingerprint. Talk about making a fast car faster. And they didn't seem to go off in higher temps once things heated up around here. I don't know what compound he was on, but he does run 13's on the little beastie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.