Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ZacB20
Need to swap out the original 4 lug for new 5 lug. Front and rear obviously. How much will it cost? What hubs should I use and who makes them? Thanks for the support guys!
brant
the front "hubs" don't interchange
you need to change the strut on the front
and possibly the a-arm while your there (not absolutely required but gives you stiffer suspension)
(recommended to replace the shocks bushings, ball joint, sway bar, and wheel bearings... oh... yeah replace the brakes, new rotors, different calipers, rebuild teh calipers, new pads, and brake lines while your in there. The 911 brakes bolt to the 911 struts and give you a vented front brake)

the rears will interchange
although it would be cheaper to have yours welded, machined, and drilled into a 5 bolt.....
(you have to replace the rear bearings while your there)

probably 1K if you do your own work... maybe 1,500 with shocks and rebuilding the calipers.
ZacB20
Would 4 to 5 lug bolt on wheel spacers handle the 550ish horse I'll be making when it's all said and done? Seems like with the right studs and spacers it could work
brant
QUOTE(ZacB20 @ Jun 19 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Would 4 to 5 lug bolt on wheel spacers handle the 550ish horse I'll be making when it's all said and done? Seems like with the right studs and spacers it could work

nope
pretty frowned upon
and the spacers eat up your tire clearance
so with spacers you really need flares (ie: body work/paint $$$)
ZacB20
Alright. Thanks for the quick replies btw!!

So even the stock 4 lug with custom 1 piece wheels and tougher studs won't hold up to 550 horse? I really would like to avoid having to swap struts and hubs.
ZacB20
Also I already plan on getting a body kit for 9" fronts and 11" rears
brant
you could run the 4cylinder stock stuff.. minus the spacers

but the brakes and spring rates will be inadequate for that kind of power....

plus you would really need to rebuild all of the stock stuff (calipers, brake hoses, special pads, ball joints, and shocks) at the same cost as the 911 parts.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ZacB20 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:12 PM) *
So even the stock 4 lug with custom 1 piece wheels and tougher studs won't hold up to 550 horse?

Let's put it this way, you will not find a single racing or autocross venue that allows 4 lug to 5 lug bolt-on adapters.

And if that's not enough, with bolt-on adapters, you're still running the /4 brakes that were build for a sub 100 HP car.

I'm not sure how much you value your life (or that of others), but if you're planning on pushing 500+ HP in a 914 and at the same time you cringe at upgrading your suspension and brakes, you might be better off buying a Mustang.
biggrin.gif
ZacB20
I am upgrading the brakes and suspension definitely. I am just looking at the simplicity side of things. Which 5 lug struts and rear hubs should be used? Brake calipers? I already have springs and rear shocks picked out.
brant
the front "springs" are torsion bars
the 911 stock ones are bigger "stiffer" than stock 4 cylider ones...

you can upgrade from there to a stiffer spring rate.
you want to balance somewhat your rear spring rate to your front rates...
ZacB20
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 19 2012, 07:44 PM) *

I know there's a torsion bar stock. I've left it their but added coil springs also. It's actually not as ghetto as it sounds. It's been done on multiple different car builds including Porsches and VWs
brant
QUOTE(ZacB20 @ Jun 19 2012, 08:50 PM) *

I know there's a torsion bar stock. I've left it their but added coil springs also. It's actually not as ghetto as it sounds. It's been done on multiple different car builds including Porsches and VWs

we used to do that on 944 rear ends, in order to beat the rules for club racing...
it will be fine, just harder to get the rates right. You may want to ditch the torsion bar, and you will likely need to reinforce the top of the strut mount. They weren't designed to hold the load once you transfer the area on the chassis bearing the weight.

your front coil spings will eat into your inner wheel clearance and require those flares though....
ZacB20
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 19 2012, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(ZacB20 @ Jun 19 2012, 08:50 PM) *

we used to do that on 944 rear ends, in order to beat the rules for club racing...
it will be fine, just harder to get the rates right. You may want to ditch the torsion bar, and you will likely need to reinforce the top of the strut mount. They weren't designed to hold the load once you transfer the area on the chassis bearing the weight.

your front coil spings will eat into your inner wheel clearance and require those flares though....

Thanks for the tips. I plan to have my buddy build a chromoly tube chassis. And yea like I said, I'm getting a body kit... I want a wider wheel trac
brant
you should check out this build thread
the car is local to me and the builder is a great guy, a real car nut...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=50151&hl=
type47
Thought someone would comment on transmission.... what tranny? Not sure 550 hp and 901 tranny are a good combo.....
ZacB20
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 20 2012, 05:44 AM) *

Thought someone would comment on transmission.... what tranny? Not sure 550 hp and 901 tranny are a good combo.....

It is a 915, but still, unless someone will rebuild it for me with a lot taller gears, I'm already looking into a g50 or 930... Thanks for the concern!
ZacB20
What will my best option on 911 strut/ spindle combos be? I'm thinking stock from a pick n pull because after that motor and tranny, my wallet is gonna be crying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.