Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window scraper seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I am putting together doors for my newest project. I installed the new rubber window scraper seal. The rubber is nice and soft. The problem is the window goes up but down is a problem. The rubber sticks to the window and wants to pull in. I cleaned the window and this does not help. I am sure as the rubber ages, it will get harder and work properly. I am thinking I need to coat the rubber with something but I don't know what will work best. Anyone have this issue? Suggestions welcome
rhodyguy
go to the drug store, wallgreens etc, buy some glycerin and dress the seal. REALLY clean the ext of the windows.

k
6freak
just did the same thing to my brothers car! Im gonna try them when i get home.I never rolled the window up and down after install huh.gif
smile.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 20 2012, 09:13 AM) *

go to the drug store, wallgreens etc, buy some glycerin and dress the seal. REALLY clean the ext of the windows.

k

this won't cause the windows to streak up?
Black22
This happened to me as well. I used that spray detailing wax on the windows and the seal. It was a problem for the first couple of weeks, but will go away. Actually the cleaner the seals, the more they will grip. Your actually waiting for a fine layer of dust to collect on the seal.

I just hope your inside door handles work!
SUNAB914
Silicone spray in a can, make sure the channel isn't bent. Silicone spray is your best friend for all those seals.
rhodyguy
they may streak bit initially but it will wipe off easily and the glycerin won't damage the paint.

k
Bartlett 914

k

Glycerin did the trick. Not messy as I thought it might be. Thanks Kevin.
r_towle
Do that yearly on all your rubber and you can keep it looking like new.

rich
etcmss
done this several times and not had the problem. Where did you get the seals?
6freak
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 20 2012, 11:36 AM) *

k

Glycerin did the trick. Not messy as I thought it might be. Thanks Kevin.

right on! go to know
smile.gif
zonedoubt
I used baby powder (talcum).
McMark
I used baby powder (talcum).

agree.gif
Mikey914
Funny
I have occasionally heard this is an issue.
It really sounds like the rubber IS too clean.
Glycerine sounds like the best answer.

I'm installing a new set on the doors of my sons car in a day or two and I'll look specifically at this.
Also aerospace 303 has a sacrificial coating that may help.
I usually pre treat my seals. It may have been why I didn't have any issues on my car.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 21 2012, 10:41 AM) *

Funny
I have occasionally heard this is an issue.
It really sounds like the rubber IS too clean.
Glycerine sounds like the best answer.

I'm installing a new set on the doors of my sons car in a day or two and I'll look specifically at this.
Also aerospace 303 has a sacrificial coating that may help.
I usually pre treat my seals. It may have been why I didn't have any issues on my car.

And what do you pre treat your seals with?
tod914
I used a piece of thin carboard between the seal and glass for about a week. Worked fine afterwards.
pt_700
how about some rain - x? when my wipers start to chatter across the windshield, a treatment really smooths things out.
reharvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 21 2012, 01:46 PM) *

I used a piece of thin carboard between the seal and glass for about a week. Worked fine afterwards.

agree.gif
Mikey914
I use Aerospace 303 protectant. It has a sacrificial coating that helps to protect the rubber. I suspect it also lubricates it too.
Mark
solex
I snapped my window scrapers in using a plastic trim tool. This was much easier then sliding them in the channel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.