Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel fender flares conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
Media blasting revealed some late 70's body work...kind of a surprise

Anyway, car is not the untouched beauty I thought it was, so I'm considering putting fender flares on it.

My body guys are saying it will take hours ($) and hours ($), so I'm trying to get an idea of what it will be.

Also, are there other things to consider besides the wheels and conversion kit?
ConeDodger
First of all, I wouldn't trust that to anyone who hadn't done it before. Scott Yeaman's shop manager quoted me about 20 hours. I am not sure how many hours Mark at Original Customs took but they are perfectly positioned. Scott Kline has done quite a few too. In fact, I think he would travel to you and do it for his costs + IIRC a post he made a while back. Scotty might be closer to you than Mark at Original Customs.
ConeDodger
Be especially concerned about a "time and material" estimate from someone who hasn't done it before. 30+ hours if they haven't, 20 or less if they are good like Mark and Scotty...
bulitt
What is he extent of the work you are having done? Do you own the flares already?
Welding the flares on.
Filling the side markers and antenna holes.
Grinding the welds (both sides), sealing the inside,
smoothing, sealing, priming and painting.
Installing flared rockers?

Also these cars are like onions. Peel back one suspect section and you may expose additional work as you have found out.
scotty b
25-30 depending on what the surrounding metal is like, and if you want any bondo, primeing, etc. done after the install. If the panels are already buckled or rotted figure on 30+ to straighten it while the flares are being fitted. If you wanted a bondo free full metal worked set you're not going to get a quote from anyone with experience. That's straight time and materials
McMark
agree.gif 20 hours to get them in place and 90% there. Some more time to fix the lower edges. Even more time if you find surprises...

scotty b
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 20 2012, 09:33 AM) *

agree.gif 20 hours to get them in place and 90% there. Some more time to fix the lower edges. Even more time if you find surprises...

blink.gif They hunt 914's out there Mark ? ar15.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 20 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Scott Kline has done quite a few too.

I think you have your Scotty's mixed up ...
shades.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 20 2012, 01:41 PM) *

blink.gif They hunt 914's out there Mark ? ar15.gif

WTF.gif How did that happen? PO did some dent pulling with a drill bit and slide hammer?
dlee6204
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 20 2012, 01:33 PM) *

ohmy.gif
OU8AVW
Remember, it's the last 10% of the work that takes 90% of the time biggrin.gif
PRS914-6
There is a big difference in hours for "welding them on" VS. "paint ready"

For cost planning I would figure a day per flare for "paint ready"

That doesn't include the front and rear valance work required for them to match up nicely

Scotty could confirm that.

If you want them to look nice, it's not an inexpensive venture sad.gif
jmill
And then you get to the rockers. You can match the flares to them or you can match them to the flares. The former being less time consuming but also less symetrical.

rick 918-S
The last set I did ended up wayyyyyyyy over budget but in my defense I needed to completely change the shape of the rear flares and widen them over 3", mount the fronts to a slope nose, cut a new higher front wheel opening, close the ends off, and weld up big hole saw holes in the quarter panels. Left my place still needing body work.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=132215&hl=
hot_shoe914
You can bet one thing for sure though, whatever you are charged, it will be way less that it is really worth. These guys that do this bodywork are so UNDERPAID it isn't even funny. After just assisting in the fairly minor rust repair on my latest car, I came to realize that these guys really do earn every penny they make and should make a lot more. Here's to you body guys. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
jmmotorsports
I charge 40 hours to install and put in primer,pretty much ready for final sanding for paint. And that is not really enough.

Jerry
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Jun 21 2012, 05:22 AM) *

I charge 40 hours to install and put in primer,pretty much ready for final sanding for paint. And that is not really enough.

Jerry

Jerry,

Do you have any pics of your work or a website? I have some flares that I am going to need attached to a car soon smile.gif

Ian
Type 47
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jun 20 2012, 08:31 AM) *

What is he extent of the work you are having done? SEE BELOW Do you own the flares already? NO
Welding the flares on. YES
Filling the side markers (OK MAYBE?) and antenna holes. YES
Installing flared rockers? HAVE ABS FLARED ROCKERS...NOT SURE HOW THEY WORK WITH THE STEEL FLARES

Also these cars are like onions. Peel back one suspect section and you may expose additional work as you have found out. SEE BELOW

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Type 47
QUOTE(bulitt @ Jun 20 2012, 08:31 AM) *

What is he extent of the work you are having done? Do you own the flares already?
Welding the flares on.
Filling the side markers and antenna holes.
Installing flared rockers?

Also these cars are like onions. Peel back one suspect section and you may expose additional work as you have found out.

see responses above
rick 918-S
yikes.gif It would be easier to replace the quarter panels first then do the flares. The right one is damaged but you could bump it out first. But the left is hacked.
Type 47
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 22 2012, 09:02 PM) *

yikes.gif It would be easier to replace the quarter panels first then do the flares. The right one is damaged but you could bump it out first. But the left is hacked.

I think your right...I will review with the body guys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.