Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp sender and dry sump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Where would be the appropriate place to take oil temps from when converting to dry sump. My thoughts were either at the tank or utilizing one of the ports in my thermostat:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-501ERL/

Opinions?

-Aaron
SLITS
Ideally somewhere in the engine oil galleries.

I don't think the scavenge line is full enough to properly trigger a sender, but then again, I don't really know.

In any case, you want to know what the temp of the oil is in the engine.
yeahmag
I was thinking in the return to the engine might be a good spot too.
ChrisFoley
I put mine in the oil tank.
McMark
In the tank will essentially tell you the temp of the oil going into the engine. I would bet that there is very little variation throughout the whole system.
mrbubblehead
i am using the same t-stat. my temp is taken right after the cooler, right before the oil goes to the mains.
pcar916
I'd use the normal one in the engine, then another anywhere after the cooler. I like to know the efficiency of the cooling system in addition to the BTU specs of the cooler. Stuff like running the return line over the exhaust pipe makes a difference on the sixes.

An infrared thermometer on the inlet, then on the exit of the cooler is a great way to measure the performance of the cooler alone.

If you want to go easy I'd think about a surface-mount sensor and a digital gauge... no drilling and tapping, you can glue those puppies all over the place, and sample any one you wish with a single gauge and a little switch fabrication.

Life is good with instrumentation.

Good luck
yeahmag
So are using any of the 1/8" NPT ports to monitor anything? Mines going to be on the scavenge side, so I doubt the are useful for anything for me...

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jun 20 2012, 01:01 PM) *

i am using the same t-stat. my temp is taken right after the cooler, right before the oil goes to the mains.

yeahmag
Not sure it would be covered with enough oil to make it accurate in a dry sumped moter. That would also be the temp of the oil leaving the engine and not the temp of the oil coming to the engine.

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jun 20 2012, 03:21 PM) *

I'd use the normal one in the engine, then another anywhere after the cooler.

mrbubblehead
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 20 2012, 03:30 PM) *

So are using any of the 1/8" NPT ports to monitor anything? Mines going to be on the scavenge side, so I doubt the are useful for anything for me...

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jun 20 2012, 01:01 PM) *

yes i am using all but one of them. i also had to add an aditional an fitting with an 1/8 port....(i wanted to monitor temps weather it was in bypass mode or not) oil pressure sender, oil pressure idiot light, and oil temp.

i am using mine on the pressure side.
yeahmag
I'd guess you are wet sump then. Is that correct?
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 20 2012, 03:46 PM) *

I'd guess you are wet sump then. Is that correct?

no...im dry sump.
yeahmag
Oh! We need to talk then!

no...im dry sump.

mrbubblehead
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 20 2012, 03:49 PM) *

Oh! We need to talk then!

no...im dry sump.

pm sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.