Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny drain & fill plug....what size? what tool?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
seems like I've replaced about everything except the gear oil (who knows how long it's been in there!). So, those plugs must take one big allen wrench or some special tool. What size and/or where do you get something to take those plugs out?

Think it would be smart to change that oil or make sure it's at the right levels before I leave for the Fall Foilage Classic!

Thanks as usual....Jim
Series9
17mm allen key. Not hard to find at a VW or Porsche shop.
bongo monkey
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 18 2004, 08:46 PM)
seems like I've replaced about everything except the gear oil (who knows how long it's been in there!). So, those plugs must take one big allen wrench or some special tool. What size and/or where do you get something to take those plugs out?

Think it would be smart to change that oil or make sure it's at the right levels before I leave for the Fall Foilage Classic!

Thanks as usual....Jim

Big old 17mm hex key. I got mine at Sears.

Take the top plug off first. So you don't empty the tranny, find out the top plug has seized, and have to pour oil through the breather.
nebreitling
or sears.

i would like to find it as a socket, though. does anyone have a 17mm hex socket? where'd you get it?
URY914
Take a 17mm bolt and put the head in the plug. Put two nuts on the bolt and tighen them against each other. Back out the plug with a open end wrench on the inside nut.

Hope I explained this so you'd understand it.

Paul
nebreitling
good idea! smilie_pokal.gif
914helo
I have a 3/8" 17mm socket. Much better than using the old big key that was a pain to manuever, and I don't overtorque it now either. Picked it up a couple of years ago at a VW shop. IIRC was about $10-12.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 18 2004, 05:52 PM)
i would like to find it as a socket, though. does anyone have a 17mm hex socket? where'd you get it?

Snap-On. 1/2" drive so you can use a long enough breaker bar / flex handle.

i use the Allen socket exactly twice per car - to remove the plugs.
replace them with the 19mm hex head 911 parts.

these are pipe plugs and DO NOT require The Strength Of Ten to seal. tight is enough, preferably with anti-sieze. i drill mine for safety wire - this does a few things.

since you'd -never- wire a fill plug unless you had just filled the tranny, you can just look at it and know that has been done. you KNOW it will never fall out. since you KNOW it will never fall out, you are not tempted to over-tighten it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.