Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Wannabe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
halmil
Hi!

I currently own a 1996 993TT. I have a hankering for a vintage car and seem to be gravitating toward a 914. I would use this car for weekend crusing, vintage rallying and light autocrossing.

I am thinking 1973-74 2.0.

Of course, being a power junkie, more HP always sounds better. As I do not want to spend enough to get into a real 914-6. What is the conventional thinking on conversions? I am kind of prejudiced against, but not knowledgeable enough to understand what the cognescenti feel about this topic.

My normal thinking is to keep something mostly as it is. I am open to upgrading suspension and other bits and pieces, but not really to wholesale cloning.

I would welcome thoughts from those who know better.

Thanks,
Hal
SirAndy
QUOTE(halmil @ Jun 20 2012, 03:05 PM) *
I currently own a 1996 993TT. What is the conventional thinking on conversions?

Your 993 is a perfect heart transplant donor! See the conversion link in my signature ...
biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png
brant
only my opinion....

it is my belief that the 914 crowd are VERY open to conversions
more so than the typical porsche scene.

I know a real 914/6 with VIN is cooler...
but the real cars are under powered
and the difference between a correctly done conversion and a real car is only the different serial number...

some of the conversion parts have improved on the factory pieces
and a conversion can be a blast to drive

(not trying to knock down a cool real -6)

as a whole the 914 crowd is pretty accepting of conversion and even transplants... not something you find from 911 fellas....

brant
SLITS
My '73 2.0L was a nice cruiser and when pushed would run 126 MPH (by GPS).

That said, I no longer own a 4 cyl. I have a '74 with a 2.7L in it and a '73 with a 2.4T MFI. There is nothing like a six.

I was happy with the 2.0L, but am really happy with the 2.7L.

The conversion can be costly.

I would own another /4 in a heartbeat though.

And to expound on Brant's post .... a /6 is just a VIN number (my opinion) with inadequate roll up windows ... I'll take a conversion any day!
pcar916
Some of the best handling 914's I know are 2L 4 cylinder cars with wicked good suspensions. Light and quick is good.

That said lots of us have what's referred to as "outlaws" in the 356 crowd. Some like 'em and some don't. Mine was already mostly converted when I bought it. It was a 2.7L conversion and the excellent PO had a baby coming and no room for this project anymore. Bought the car and a bunch of spares incl. a 2L six T-engine.... more than I could get in my Pacifica garage at the time.

Point is I've modified it since 1994 and had more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Now it's safer, faster, and handles better. Nothin better.

But I would keep a really good stock car stock, and find a good "project a PO got tired of". The old saying stands...

Buy someone else's dream. There's generally less to do to convert it to your dream.

Good Luck!
struckn
I'm not an expert in the conversions but from reading several Built threads here I think I'm safe in saying that many conversions involve a water cooled system that has got to be more complicated then that of an air cooled conversion. So, consider all that's involved before you jump.

I'd say you would be better off buying a finished conversion then doing one your self and in the long run may not cost anymore, maybe less.

Personally I love driving the 914-4 and speed is relative to a cars power envelope and the Drivers skill.

Last comment, goggle Jake Raby Air Cooled Technology 4 cylinder 914's four street or track.

welcome.png
ThePaintedMan
You didn't mention whether you're pretty handy with tools or not. I still think its better to take on a well-completed car, whether its a /4 or /6 after going through the madness I have, but if you're looking to learn, these are great cars for it. I would assume that if you're a 993 owner, you're used to power and would find yourself disappointed with a /4, unless it was a Raby engine. For me, I don't know anything different, so a worn-out 1.7 is fine for my liking (at least on my budget for now).
Lennies914
agree.gif with all the above. I too have a /4 and it's a blast to drive. That being said, I'm in the gathering stages of starting a suby conversion.

welcome.png
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:00 PM) *

agree.gif with all the above. I too have a /4 and it's a blast to drive. That being said, I'm in the gathering stages of starting a suby conversion.

welcome.png

piratenanner.gif Yay I didn't get immediately shot down for once.
seanery
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 20 2012, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(halmil @ Jun 20 2012, 03:05 PM) *
I currently own a 1996 993TT. What is the conventional thinking on conversions?

Your 993 is a perfect heart transplant donor! See the conversion link in my signature ...
biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png

agree.gif w00t2.gif w00t1.gif

welcome.png

I think you're seeing a pattern here biggrin.gif

2 liter 914s are an absolute blast to drive! My mildly massaged 2 liter built from a bus block would do similar times to base Boxsters at Putnam Park. They handle like a dream and have a bit of the ugly duckling syndrome - which is good in my opinion. (I also like Ferrari Mondials and Ducati 907s - both oddball under appreciated brothers.) When I broke the motor missing a shift, I decided to build a '6. Small-ish sixes with sport exhausts sound amazing and the smile factor can't be beat short of an outlaw 356!

Find yourself a good 2 liter, have fun with it, decide if it has enough power, and then later on you can make it whatever you want - if you want.

That being said, there are more and more people who value the car in it's as delivered state.

IMHO, a tasteful conversion using period(ish) parts is a beautiful thing!
iamchappy
The only difference between an original six and a well done six conversion is the serial number, and if the conversion was done to a 73 or 74 the conversion would actually have some improvements over the original.

That said a worn original six is probably worth as much as my completely restored pristine 935 turbo engine powered conversion.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
jmill
Don't be stuck on a specific year nor engine size. If you could pick up a rust free 1.7 or 1.8 you'd be money ahead. Toss in a 2.0L and sway bars and you're golden. I'm converting a 73 1.7.
bandjoey
You'll be very happy with my 914 and I'll make sure your 993 is well taken care of while I locate another 914 biggrin.gif

Jump in with both feet 'cause it's addictive. A True Adult GoCart!
MikeSpraggi
I have both a real /6 (well, mostly at least) and a conversion. Started with a '70 1.7L. What a blast to drive, real cool factor. Then got a '73 2.0 with a set up suspension. Had been a track/autocross car with the PO. I couldn't believe the difference in speed and handling, that was really a real double blast! Then I found a damaged and repaired real /6. I gotta tell you, when I went to see that car for the first time (it had been sitting for about 6 months I was told) and it finally fired up after 3 or 4 attempts, I lost all reasoning ... I bought it on the spot. So, I also found a real ugly duckling '70 (1.7 or 1.8?) for next to nothing and did a six conversion (btw, these conversions to a Porsche /6 are not cheap). I built a dedicated track car out of it. So now, with the track car, everytime I get in, start it up and pull into to grid, I'm in .... well, an orgasmic state drooley.gif . You see the progression here .... I know people out there have their turbos , prancing horses and Lambos along with countless other cars that out perform, out price and out bling our beloved 914s, but these little cars can really get under your skin and into your blood .... for life. So get the 914 that makes sense for you at this time and see where it takes you.
smj
QUOTE(halmil @ Jun 20 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Addicts don't necessarily know better! I also don't recommend going to the local methadone clinic and asking for life counseling from the customers... wink.gif Kidding aside, welcome!

A 914-4 in good trim is great fun. The only time I really feel like I'm down on power is when somebody else decides to put the hammer down on the freeway and reminds you've got 1.4L less displacement and/or are missing a turbo.

I think the question you need to answer is whether or not you're going to sit in whatever vintage car you decide on and be disappointed that it doesn't have the same power & handling as your 993TT. If you can enjoy a vintage car for what it is, the 914 is an excellent choice.

Have you driven one yet? If you don't have a friend who has one you can take for a spin, keep your eyes peeled here for a local meet-up and see if you can swap cars for a tour. I'd start with that, and in the meantime you can read up on the zillion different kinds of conversions people have done with them.
Jeffs9146
welcome.png

I have owned at least 14 914's, both 6's and 4's, and I would have to say that there is nothing like the snap/pull of a larger 6 or a high tork Suby........V8 ect!

I loved my 2.0L's and I decided to keep my 2.0L's stock and modify the cheeper and more available 1.7's & 1.8's! You can save a ton of money getting a 75 1.8L and back dating the bumpers then slapping in a 3.0L/6 or 3.2/6! It is still not cheep but it can be done for less than 10K if you don't have to paint it, fix a bunch of rust or pay someone else to do the work!

You should meet up with a few of us and take a spin in some of the different configurations so you can apreciate the subtle differences! There are some amazing cars in this group! beerchug.gif
al weidman
A little more info. Mark (computers4kids) has one of the sweetest rides I have ridden in. A real pretty narrow body with a small block chevy, runs and drives like a dream. smilie_pokal.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(halmil @ Jun 20 2012, 06:05 PM) *

Hi!

I currently own a 1996 993TT. I have a hankering for a vintage car and seem to be gravitating toward a 914. I would use this car for weekend crusing, vintage rallying and light autocrossing.

I am thinking 1973-74 2.0.

Of course, being a power junkie, more HP always sounds better. As I do not want to spend enough to get into a real 914-6. What is the conventional thinking on conversions? I am kind of prejudiced against, but not knowledgeable enough to understand what the cognescenti feel about this topic.

My normal thinking is to keep something mostly as it is. I am open to upgrading suspension and other bits and pieces, but not really to wholesale cloning.

Thanks,
Hal
I have a well sorted out 914-4 that I would sell, its kinda like what your looking for... tricked up, strong-4, springs,wheels,no rust!! Blue in color Bob Arnett 812-232-4777 after dark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.