Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rattly door windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Haudiosolutions
The door windows rattle annoyingly on my 70. I assume I'm missing channel seals but I can't seem to find any. I've looked in the guide rails and there is nothing but metal. What would be the fix for this?
76-914
mikey 914. rubber can fix you up.
Haudiosolutions
I only seem to find rubber for late model doors. I've ordered from him before, I'll give it another look. They only rattle when lowered so I assume there is supposed to be something in the window guides within the door correct?
jsayre914
Here is a link to AA catalog w diagram. See if you are missing somthing. smile.gif

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/804-10.php
rhodyguy
the inner fuzzy channel (a press on affair) helps. outer fuzzy is a bit more work. the early doors use little tiny wheels on the front of the window.

k
etcmss
the guide on the early doors is different than the later doors. at the rear of the window channel there is a piece to guide the window and prevent the rattle. piece 9 from the AA catalog shown but must be for 70-early 73 in their catalog.
Try number B91454211110 or B91454211210. the numbers for the late 73 to 76 is different.
Haudiosolutions
Thanks guys, I'll check that out. I figured something was missing.
ConeDodger
Make sure it IS your side windows. A very common rattle is the rear window. The goo that holds it in place dries out and then the only thing holding it in is the backpad. Rattle - rattle - rattle!
Mr.242
I just did my early doors. There is nothing in the channel except the window. On the window is a mount that guides up the channel. That guide has small wheels mounted on it. use good lithium grease in the channel.

I would bet that one or two of your small wheels are bad. When it gets to the bottom it has all sorts of wiggle and rattle, mine did. 914rubber has the replacements and now it is tight.

New window scrapers are nice too. However, they do need to be broken in to be allowed to slide properly on the glass.

Have fun...pm me if any questions on the rebuild.
slu234
I'm in the same situation with early windows/doors (1970) and there is nothing in the channel and nothing on the window glass at the rear of the glass. I've replaced the front rollers but still have the same problem.

So...is there supposed to be a channel liner on the rear or something on the rear of the glass. Not clear in the AA table.

Thanks,
Brian
Mikey914
There is aplastic guide that us glued to the window on the rear part of the window that may be missing or worn. That is the source of the rattle at the rear.
Also the front has 4 rollers on the front track. These become worn and get out of tollerence.
I make the rollers and if there is enough interest I can make a replacement l can make a repair part. As far as I can tell the rear plastic guide is part of the window assembly.
Mark
Mikey914
I estimate a set would run about $7.
Eric_Shea
Mark, did I read somewhere you were thinking about making that channel that the fuzzy resides in? My fuzzy's are steel/aluminum/rust/welded into that channel. No hope.
SirAndy
Also make sure the little plastic rollers that hold it inside the front channel are still there.

If there's play in the front where it sits in the vertical chrome channel (with the window up) you may need to get new rollers ...
idea.gif
Haudiosolutions
I'll have to find some down time to get in there and get a better look. When my windows are rolled up, there is no noise. okay, who am I kidding, there are a few random vibrations from the dash area but not the annoying glass to metal rattle coming from the doors. Seems to be worse on the passenger side door but both need some attention. Thanks again guys, I'll try to find what's missing or worn.
Mikey914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2012, 07:53 PM) *

Also make sure the little plastic rollers that hold it inside the front channel are still there.

If there's play in the front where it sits in the vertical chrome channel (with the window up) you may need to get new rollers ...
idea.gif

I allready make the front rollers $24 for all 8 with stainless washers. Factury makes them at $8 a piece.
Mikey914
I'm banking that it's the rear track "shims" that are broken off or missing. I'm trying to locate a suitalbe example of an early door to determine the thickness and shape. From what I remember it's about 1x3.5" and is at the outside rear edge of the window. I can't remember is these is another shim on the inside too, but it would make sense.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Jun 25 2012, 03:30 AM) *
When my windows are rolled up, there is no noise.

You need to test the window for movement with the door open and the window up, not while you are driving.

If the window is up and the door closed, the glass will sit against the top seal and that's what's holding it still.

The only way to test the window for movement is with the door open, window all the way up and see if you get any movement near the front channel.
Then try the same with the window 3/4 down and 1/2 down.

That will tell you where to look ...
shades.gif
Haudiosolutions
The window makes noise from about half down to all the way down.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 24 2012, 07:50 PM) *

Mark, did I read somewhere you were thinking about making that channel that the fuzzy resides in? My fuzzy's are steel/aluminum/rust/welded into that channel. No hope.

Just saw this, guess I should read a little more throughly.

Yes I do have the aluminum and the fuzzies and the rubber. But I think the issue here is at the back of the window (maybe the front could have some slop too, but I suspect that if you pop off the door panel the rear guide is worn.
-mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.