Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto mirror glass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I am thinking about replacing my mirror glass. I know George carries it. Does anyone know if mirror glass for our cars is a special grade different from local hardware variety?
Black22
I think it's a lot thinner than the normal variety. It has to be exact for the black frame/gasket deal, on the outside of the mirror, to snap into place and hold it.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Black22 @ Jun 21 2012, 12:59 PM) *

I think it's a lot thinner than the normal variety. It has to be exact for the black frame/gasket deal, on the outside of the mirror, to snap into place and hold it.

I am sure the thickness will be different. I can use plastic shim stock. My only concern is about the glass and the reflector material.
GeorgeRud
I'd think that if you take the old piece into a local glass place, they should be able to get you a mirror with the right thickness, but if AA already has them, why not support 914 vendors? ( Yeah, I know some folks don't like them, but still).
TheCabinetmaker
I cut my own from 1/8" (double strength) mirror. It mounts perfectly in the stock mirror body.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 21 2012, 03:12 PM) *

I cut my own from 1/8" (double strength) mirror. It mounts perfectly in the stock mirror body.

Thanks

beerchug.gif
lagunero
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:11 AM) *

Does anyone know if mirror glass for our cars is a special grade different from local hardware variety?

automotive mirrors do have anti-glare properties.
914werke
This was discussed recently.
Its a special beveled piece of glass that is necessary for the wink function to work. At least that was the case with my early mirror.
Its doubtful your local glass house has it, & I was unaware that AA sells a replacement.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jun 21 2012, 11:54 PM) *

This was discussed recently.
Its a special beveled piece of glass that is necessary for the wink function to work. At least that was the case with my early mirror.
Its doubtful your local glass house has it, & I was unaware that AA sells a replacement.

That would be for the rear view mirror on the windshield. I am looking at the side mirrors. This is the glass that George carries.
TheCabinetmaker
Holy Crap! 25 bucks at AA?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 22 2012, 11:21 AM) *

Holy Crap! 25 bucks at AA?

That is why I am thinking of making my own. I can cut glass as I have the tools. I am looking at 2 mirrors plus shipping. It is still doable and I may end up getting his. I still need to locate double strength mirror sheet.
TheCabinetmaker
Your local glass shop. about 5 bucks or less per sq ft.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.