Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bartlett 914's Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gms
Since Mark will not start a thread on his restoration I guess I will!
Back in 2007 I ran across a 39,000 mile 1976 914/4, the chassis was very clean and the price was right.
This 914 had been moved from storage to storage in Chicago for about 20 years!
The car was mostly complete and in primer, I talked 2 friends into buying the car and It was brought to a garage and stored for 2 years.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
Look at the Mileage!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Very cool! I like that yellow!
gms
Back in the spring of 2007 I did some work on the car, removed the glue from the engine pad and cleaned the engine compartment
Click to view attachment
gms
in spring 2009 I brought the car over to Mark's shop and replaced the battery tray. Although Mark had a project car in the works I convinced
him to adopt the yellow (primer) '76. A deal was struck and the car had a new home.
Click to view attachment
gms
The car with a new paint job back in late April 2012
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
OK Glenn, I can take a hint LOL

I finally got the car painted and it looks great. I purchased a lot of stuff from Eric.

I got Turbo Tie rods and all my brake stuff.
Bartlett 914
I was able to get the drivers door installed last night. The passenger door is ready to be put on. This really helps give a feeling of progress.

Most of the front end stuff has been done. (wipers, fresh air blower SS fuel lines etc.)
I am waiting for my gas tank to be finished. I took it to a radiator shop for cleaning (he just called as I way typing. it is done). More pictures to follow.
stuttgart46
That looks clean. Keep the pics coming
FourBlades

Starting with a rust free body saves 75% of the time and aggravation.

Looks like it will be a great car!

Love the yellow. piratenanner.gif

John
GeorgeRud
Now, you just have to decide how big of a -6 do you want to put into that tub! wink.gif
Looks like a nice roller and should be a great car when you're done! It's always nice to see some Midwest projects to let folks know that not everything gets done on the coasts.

Having said that, I really appreciate what our California friends have when I went to Rennsport last year. With weather and roads like that available, my car would have a lot more miles on it than it does.
Bartlett 914
I rebuilt the calipers using kits from PMB Performance. Eric recommends having the calipers plated. I went for "instant gratification" and painted them.

Instant gratification looks different to me know. More like:
Take calipers to plater
Pickup calipers from the plater.
Be instantly gratified you didn't paint them!

They turned out fine. I just think the expense and work wasn't worth it for painting.
3d914
Glenn,

Nice starting point - but it's totally unfair that you should get to miss out on all the bodywork the rest of us are going through!

hissyfit.gif
gms
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Glenn,

Nice starting point - but it's totally unfair that you should get to miss out on all the bodywork the rest of us are going through!

hissyfit.gif

I had to put in a battery tray biggrin.gif
Mark will need to do a little work on the jack post area, all in all not a bad car
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jun 21 2012, 02:36 PM) *

Glenn,

hissyfit.gif

Notice the black car in the back ground?

I had a thread on Roadglue on this car. Trust me, I went through enough rust / bodywork. Nice to have a clean car for a start. It was the yellow car that stopped the work on the black one. Maybe someday.....
Bartlett 914
More progress. Glenn and another friend came over and we got the hood aligned.
Backdating the bumpers will be next.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
it has almost been a year since Mark worked on the car.
Today i stopped in and saw that he installed the trailing arms!
Click to view attachment
scotty b
WTF.gif Mark ? WTF.gif man ? slap.gif
gms
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 2 2013, 09:02 PM) *

WTF.gif Mark ? WTF.gif man ? slap.gif

You tell him Scott!
rick 918-S
Get to work slacker! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif FERG.gif
Bartlett 914
Last yeas was so hot work was impossible. This year I have been out of town. Today I am planning on playing hookie from work and I will make some progress!
FourBlades

Sounds like a better set of priorities!

That will be a nice car.

John
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 3 2013, 10:34 AM) *

Last yeas was so hot work was impossible. This year I have been out of town. Today I am planning on playing hookie from work and I will make some progress!

shades.gif popcorn[1].gif bye1.gif
Bartlett 914
I made a lot of progress this weekend. I repaired the broken transmission, installed the flywheel and new clutch. I was about to mate them together and decided to adjust the valves first. I am glad I did. This motor did run after the accident. It has sat for awhile. Carbon in the heads must have fallen down. The motor would not turn 360 degrees. 90 degrees in either way was the limit. No real damage. Looks like a clean and reseal. I will also paint the tins. I have been feeling 914 deprived since the accident. I will have to wait a little longer.
gms
Mark is putting the engine together tonight!
gms
the car is on its wheels!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
balljoint
Nice!
GeorgeRud
Looking Great! I like the color, and hope you may be able to get it together for the August Picnic. It would be a great big hit, and a deadline always inspires me to get to work!

Let's all hope for a pleasant summer to enjoy the cars! I'm leaving for the Parade on Saturday morning, so I hope to see a lot of great cars there as well
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 20 2013, 06:54 PM) *

the car is on its wheels!

WooHoo smilie_pokal.gif
gms
IT'S ALIVE!
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(gms @ Jun 23 2013, 08:49 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!

aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif Hey let me know when you guys are working on his car, I would like to come up and help, well more like be in the way, but would be fun to hang out. beerchug.gif
gms
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 23 2013, 09:00 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!

aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif Hey let me know when you guys are working on his car, I would like to come up and help, well more like be in the way, but would be fun to hang out. beerchug.gif

Will do
gms
she started right up after the fuel pump was replaced
Click to view attachment
gms
Just need to put the interior in now
Bartlett 914
We had a really funny problem. At first we didn't have fuel pressure. After we replaced the fuel pump it started right up! Seconds we found we were being sprayed! OMG it must be a fuel leak and we rushed to turn the car off. Where was the leak? We started again and in a few seconds we were sprayed again. Then Glenn saw it. It was the windshield washer. My circuit or the switch or something is causing the washer pump to run all the time. Glad it wasn't fuel. We had a good laugh.
76-914
I love the taste of gas barf.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jun 23 2013, 08:00 PM) *

IT'S ALIVE!

We would live to see you. A lot of the work has been hit and miss. I will let you know when we have some time set out. Too bad you are not closer.
gms
interior going in
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
Made huge progress. Car is running, Interior is in. I still have lots of details but it now feels like a car again.
Click to view attachment
boogie_man
Looking good !!!! Can't wait to see if finished biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Did you have that interior done or is it original?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 27 2013, 05:21 PM) *

Did you have that interior done or is it original?

The carpet is new. The rest is original. The car has 40K on it.
gms
more pix
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
with another ultra low mileage 914
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
I was finally able to drive my car today. I still have a ton of details to complete but it finally looks together. Glenn was over again today. He and another friend helped with it. They installed a nice front valence (a gift from Glenn). A ton of thanks to Glenn for all his contributions and time.
rick 918-S
Nice! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
gms
Mark is trying to eclipse Magnus Walker with this bold redhead design

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.