Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Garage find "Out of Hibernation"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
specialk22
Well Good Morning to All, I would like to introduce myself to the forum and Thank all of you for your rebuild threads and pictures of your cars. This site is great and is a wealth of information for the Porsche enthusiast.
Would also like to introduce you to my car as I bring it out of a 27 yr hibernation.
I have been a Porsche enthusiast since my early teens (1980s) and I always, like many of you, dreamed of owning a 911 Turbo. After checking my bank account I quickly realized that I had no chance of buying a 911 anytime in the near future so I set my sights on a 914.
I was driving on one sunny day in Southern California when I noticed a 914 parked on the street.
I looked at it and thought... "This is the car for me", It needs a paint job new interior and it runs. (I knew that it ran because I drove this way every day and it was not sitting there the day before.) I drove past it for a few more days and then decided to take a chance and see if they wanted to sell it.
I went to the door and asked the person if he wanted to sell the Porsche parked outside. He told me that it belonged to his friend and that he wished that he would come and get it, and then he told me that he would ask him if he wanted to sell it.
Looking at the condition of the car I thought, "I should be able to pick the car up for about $1000 because it needs some help!"
When I returned the next day the guy told me that his friend was interested in selling it but when I asked him the price he almost floored me with a price much higher that I thought it would be. I could have bought a 911 for that price.
I inquired as to why he wanted so much money for the car? I will never forget his answer... This guy who was not at all into Porsche's said, and I quote: "He said it's rare and it's got a six pack on it or something?."
With excitement I quickly went home and started looking through my Porsche magazines. drooley.gif
I had read about the 914-6 but at that time (mid-80s) did not know how to identify them. (We didn't have the internet back then either, remember the good ol' days?) idea.gif type.gif
I met with the PO and he asked me how much I knew about this kind of Porsche. I told him what years they were made and how many were made took it for a test drive and long story short I bought my first Porsche at 18 years old and I still have it.
It is in the same condition that it was when I purchased it and now it is time to get it on the road. Story is too long as to why it sat in the garage for over 25 yrs so we will save that for another time. Let's just say that raising a family is more important (and more expensive) also more time consuming than restoring your car. But now the time has come.
I have acquired a couple other P-cars since then and have enjoyed them, but this one is my dream car. It is as beautiful as the day that I first saw it.
My wife might disagree. She has actually never ridden in the car but has always supported me and understands now why I would never let it go. After all my years of talking about the car she can now also hold her own in a conversation about the car and is looking forward to it being on the road.
914-6 is IMHO the best vehicle ever made.
By now I am sure you are saying enough already lets see some pics.
Well here you go. Thanks again to all for you build threads which have inspired me. Just to mention a few: Pat Garvey, Toolguy, Carr 914, Mr. 242, 6freak, Sir Andy, Cairo94507, Sixnotfour, Eric Shea. Just to name a few.
Please give me your opinion if you would do a complete resto of just get it running as a daily driver.
I am not looking to have a concourse car like yours Toolguy (beautiful car!)and it will not be a track car. Just a reliable daily driver that I can enjoy and drive as it was intended to be driven.
First time posting pics hope it works out.

Posted a few pics and have plenty more but do you really have to do them one at a time? What is the global space? Educate me please. Enjoy these for now and I will post more.
Take care Gentlemen.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=318
026]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=318030]Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
welcome.png Very cool story, I can't wait to hear more! So its an original /6? Have you checked the numbers yet to be sure? That car has potential either way and your plans to make it a daily driver are inspiring. Welcome aboard.
SLITS
It's your car ... do what you wish. Since it's a /6, I am sure the CWs will be out in force.

I am not a CW and believe in DRIVERS .... they were made for that and are fun.

Sorry, no "real" sixes here, only conversions.

Stop by any weekend at Slit's Asshole Garage in Riverside (if you are close enough) ... home of the shade tree, backyard mechanics. Burgers, Dogs and Beer and whiskey and Gin & whatever else is in the reefer. Sometimes we actually work on cars!

Get er done and join us in Beaver, UT in September for the 2012 Red Rocks Classic. We intend to put Beaver on the Porsche Map!

welcome.png
mepstein
Great story and car. My advice- work on the body first and the rest will follow. Good luck - mark
eric9144
welcome.png

Great find...are the flares steel? Looks to be in pretty decent shape overall from the pics you did post...

I'm with Slits smoke.gif I think they should all be drivers, no matter how nice, especially a flared 6!
SirAndy
Those 5-lug centerline wheels are worth some good coin to the right buyer. And that 916 front bumper may even be the real deal, in which case that's big bucks too.
And the hell-hole looks to be solid as well.

Irish Green? (Code 15) - Love that color ...

smilie_pokal.gif

PS: welcome.png
toolguy
even without seeing the vin, that's a real six. . . it needs to be saved . . . Where are you in So Calif. . I'm in El Cajon / San Diego.
Since it already has flairs, it's a perfect candidate for a GT restoration. . Stuff a nicely built motor in it and it will be a fun driver and a real looker too. . Hope you got the motor and all the real six engine stuff. . some of it is impossible to find. .

Warning= Make it too nice and you wont want to drive it.
carr914
I would do a cosmetic restoration - ie the Body&Paint. Stay with the Original Green
3d914
Welcome aboard & enjoy the madness! You won't be disappointed by the long wait. It'll be more fun than you can imagine.
Mr.242
Thanks for the 'shout out' ... It's humbling.

I'm planning on using my car and glad to hear you are planning the same. I owned my car 4 years and have only driven it 2 miles. That means I have taken my time in paying with cash and building slowly. I have a very supportive wife and I'm thankful for that. Sounds lime you are in the same situation, because anyone who allows you to tote around a 914-6 for 27 years is SUPPORTIVE.

GO SLOW (or proportional to your bank account). AND do it as you want because it is your car. There is information galore on the World to help; but I also make myself available so email me if you need anything.

Welcome to welcome.png
A&PGirl
welcome.png

Not much more I can add, but welcome! driving-girl.gif

You will find many here who are willing to help with parts, rust repair and time. Many will freely work for just ribs and beer. biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
6freak
#1RULE.... IMO have fun........... welcome.png
smile.gif
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Very nice start even after 27 years.

Thanks for showing it.
specialk22
Yes Sir it is a real "04" six. I knew you wouldn't have to ask toolguy.
I do have the Original engine, trans and everything that goes with the car. I will post more pics soon.
The flares are fiberglass so they are coming off. I am considering having stock flares welded in place which I have already purchased. I believe that this is the only major alteration from original other than the bumpers. I have purchased a correct rear bumper and will be looking for a front bumper. I sure wanted the one that was for sale on this site for $1000 with the rubber but I figured I could spend that money somewhere else at this point. Let me know if you have one.
If you see any other alterations from original please let me know.
All rust that is shown in the pictures is completely surface. The only hole that I have found is in the top of the battery tray.
I will be returning it back to the stock Irish green color which I too think is a beautiful color.
Toolguy we talked before I inquired about your rotisserie when it was for sale.
You actually inspired me not to want to make it "too nice". biggrin.gif

I have actually put less that 100 miles on it since I bought it. And it was running when I got it.

Here are a few pics of the interior as it sits and a few other parts.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=318
062]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=318066]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
specialk22
THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE WARM WELCOME! bye1.gif
BKLA
Love period correct racemark wheel! That horn button is rare! Someone stole mine so I made an adapter for the momo Porsche crest plastic one.

Welcome and have fun!!!!!
ThePaintedMan
The brushed aluminum is killer! I think its cool that you're going back to the narrow body. On conversions, I can understand the need/desire to flare them. But original /6s just seem right narrow. That being said, if the flares come off and are still salvageable, would you be selling them here? Irish green is badass!
MikeSpraggi
welcome.png You are going to have sooo much fun. Keep us updated on your progress.
Cairo94507
Welcome SpecialK22; I appreciate the tip of the hat.

Your car is a wonderful color, my last six was irish green and I love that color.

The best advise you can get is to just read these threads so you know the pitfalls you can encounter along the way. I agree with Mark Epstein that the best way t proceed is to get the body squared away first. The car looks pretty solid but you can never tell once you start stripping and digging.

What you do with the car depends upon what you want when down. Since you have the original motor and transaxle it would be tempting to restore it as original. But maybe you want to store that motor and transaxle where is will be safe and put in a bigger six and a side-shift transaxle or a 915 transaxle.

If my car had the original engine, I am pretty sure I would wrap it up and store it and still want the 3.2 to go in the car for daily driving and reliability. Not that the stock 2.0 with Webers is not a daily driver, it is. I just want a stock 3.2 with Motronic fuel injection for the drivability and added power/torque.

I would definitely repaint it irish green - no doubt at all. But if the fenders have already been cut out for the glass flares, you might want to install a set of steel flares on it. That would really make a larger six engine more fun to drive as you can fit some reasonable tires under it.

There was a set of steel reproduction flares on eBay yesterday for about $700 but they sold quickly for $725 - a real steal of a deal. During the group buy from Auto Atlanta the flares and rockers were around $950 delivered. That was a good price for a very good flare.

I look forward to watching your car as it morphs into the car you have dreamed of all of your life. OH, add your VIN to the thread and make sure it is in Andy's data base. Good luck and best wishes. Michael
billh1963
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:54 PM) *

There was a set of steel reproduction flares on eBay yesterday for about $776 but they sold quickly for $725 - a real steal of a deal. During the group buy from Auto Atlanta the flares and rockers were around $950 delivered. That was a good price for a very good flare.

I agree...Irish Green is an awesome color.

And, those flares are headed my way! evilgrin.gif evilgrin.gif
markb
welcome.png

It's an addiction. There is no cure.

But you already knew that..... biggrin.gif
dlee6204
Cool project! Keep us updated! welcome.png beerchug.gif
SP9146
What a neat find, congrats! Remarkably similar to my Six right down to the "hibernation" and color. Agree with Cairo's comments on storing the original engine and going with a 3.2 if you plan to keep the car and drive it a lot.

I am also a fan of Irish Green. Here is a pic of my car from a couple of weeks ago. That's the USS Iowa in the background. It had just arrived in LA from the SF Bay area. It will open on July 7 as a museum.

This is a terrific forum and will prove to be your best resource. Look forward to reading your updates! Click to view attachment
JRust
Awesome! Very cool story & looking forward to watching your progress
Cairo94507
Damn it is pictures like that which make me want another irish green six!
specialk22
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 21 2012, 02:22 PM) *

The brushed aluminum is killer! I think its cool that you're going back to the narrow body. On conversions, I can understand the need/desire to flare them. But original /6s just seem right narrow. That being said, if the flares come off and are still salvageable, would you be selling them here? Irish green is badass!

You can be first in line for the flares when they come off. Just remind me when you see them come off. Don't be shy.
I have never seen anyone else with the brushed aluminum on the dash. This is obviously aftermarket right?
Thanks for the feedback.
specialk22
SP 9146, That is one beautiful car. I will be looking at that pic for inspiration. Send more pics anytime!
sixnotfour
Pete, Kinda of calling out ;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...=item3a759e8e72

Great -6 and great story.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...14-6-today.html

The cool thing is most mods have been on it for a long time..(yellow shroud/steering wheel)
specialk22
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 21 2012, 08:22 PM) *

Pete, Kinda of calling out ;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...=item3a759e8e72

Great -6 and great story.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...4-6-today.html

The cool thing is most mods have been on it for a long time..(yellow shroud/steering wheel)

Thanks for the link. I missed the last part of the game looking at those picks. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
link fixed
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...14-6-today.html

6freak
I just chuckled when i looked at the trans side off the C/V`s...yup been awhile
smile.gif
Maltese Falcon
Specialk22, if you need the L and R threshold plates in the same "Machined SS" as your dash plate I have a pair. You can pick them up in Glendale for n/c.
PM me if you want these.
specialk22
Does anyone recommend a good welder in SoCal who knows 914s? I would like to have the fiberglass flares removed and the stock fenders welded in place. Thanks
euro911
Send a PM to "Zeke" (Milt Becker). He is located in the Long Beach area and does great work.
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 23 2012, 11:56 PM) *

Send a PM to "Zeke" (Milt Becker). He is located in the Long Beach area and does great work.

agree.gif
OU8AVW
Scotty B just did my fenders. Too bad he's on the opposite coast....

Fender Repair
SP9146
SpecialK I used a combination of posting a message and searching the forum for recommendations. Another good forum to search is Pelican Parts, the 911 section. If it's an older recommendation be sure to check them out carefully because businesses get sold, someone retires, etc. For body and paint don't be surprised if you have to wait to get your car in.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SP9146 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:08 PM) *

SpecialK I used a combination of posting a message and searching the forum for recommendations. Another good forum to search is Pelican Parts, the 911 section. If it's an older recommendation be sure to check them out carefully because businesses get sold, someone retires, etc. For body and paint don't be surprised if you have to wait to get your car in.

I think a lot of us have hell hole envy.
If the rest of the chassis is as solid as the battery area you are very lucky.
Because the fenders have already been cut there is no reason return to stock.
It would actually be more difficult to do. Put steel flares on it and don't look back ! Do the body work and paint first.
The accessory dash trim is stainless steel and the finish is called "engine turned" This was very popular on classic cars, boats and aircraft in the thirties and forties.
Good Luck !
I look forward to seeing an Irish green beauty
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 21 2012, 03:47 PM) *

welcome.png You are going to have sooo much fun. Keep us updated on your progress.

agree.gif agree.gif
kerensky
Dang, 27 years? You've got me beat by two years! Now I guess I *have* to get busy and get Lou on the road before I pass you! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.