Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoking Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbob42
Working on bringing a '73 2.0 back to life. Been sitting since'93. Got her running again but she was smoking like crazy. Read how oil will settle in the system after time and gather in the muffler. Well I pulled off the muffler and the smoke disappeared. Nice, thought I had to do a ring job).

What do I do with this muffler? There have been some references to steam cleaning or solvents.

Any help appreciated.
SLITS
Put it back on, fire it up and burn the oil out of it.

Your neighbors will love you as it will drive away all the bugs and mosquitos.
pbob42
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 21 2012, 02:57 PM) *

Put it back on, fire it up and burn the oil out of it.

Your neighbors will love you as it will drive away all the bugs and mosquitos.

Well I was doing that and it wasn't really showing any signs of diminishing.

This thing starts great cold, but if I run her for about 5 minutes she kind of peters out, and won't start again. That is why I thought I had a bigger problem than oil in the muffler.

Any thoughts on that?
SLITS
If it's been sitting that long, I would hope that:

1.) You pulled the fuel tank, cleaned out the varnished gas, changed the fuel sock.

2.) Flushed the through body lines.

3.) Changed the fuel filter

4.) Had your injectors cleaned or are running injector cleaner in your fuel.

5.) Flushed the fuel pump ... I wouldn't think it would overheat in 5 mins, but it might be losing flow due to gummy crap.

6.) Checked your fuel pressure.

7.) Checked your Cylinder Head Temp sensor

Anyway, read PBanders treatise on D-Jet Injection and go from there .... link

D-Jet Treatise

Guess I should have put this in your other thread ..................
yeahmag
When I bought my car it did that. The kid filled the crank case with oil. Literally... So as it would heat cycle the oil would get burnt on to the rings. Soon it basically had none and oil would drool out the tail pipe.

Point is, check your oil level and condition. Does it smoke like crazy when you drive it?
pbob42
Let's see:

Tank was dry when I got it.

Replaced the fuel pump and filter. Pressure was blowing gas out of the old hoses so I replaced them and trust the pressure is good. Oil is new.

Runs really well for the 5 minutes it runs. Then it backs fires a time or two stall and won't start.
SLITS
Sounds like it's running out of fuel or getting to much fuel and putting the fire out, but then there are other considerations.

Again, look through PBanders site ... it's great for D-Jet. You have to go through all the basics in the fuel and ignition system.

pbob42
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 21 2012, 04:40 PM) *

Sounds like it's running out of fuel or getting to much fuel and putting the fire out, but then there are other considerations.

Again, look through PBanders site ... it's great for D-Jet. You have to go through all the basics in the fuel and ignition system.

Yes that is a great link. I'll check the sensors and such.

I think my gas tank sock or lines might be an issue. I was looking at my fuel filter (clear) and it is only about 15% full. I am thinking that gas should be filling it all the way up.
swl
QUOTE(pbob42 @ Jun 21 2012, 07:06 PM) *

Tank was dry when I got it.

The question would be what happened to the gas in the tank. if the po drained it then great. If it evaporated then you could have significant build up in the lines.

One of the standard recommendations around here is to replace all the fuel lines. You've done the back end. For sure you should get the lines under the tank replaced and should also consider doing the body lines with stainless steel. The nylon OEM lines are particularly prone to failure where they exit the rear firewall. You can imagine what would happen if you got a fuel spray there.
carr914
Maybe there is a Critter in the muffler and you only put it on simmer instead of full heat confused24.gif
Scott S
Just a side note of concern -

Last night I cut into my 911 muffler to modify it into a sport/twin tip. I used a cut off wheel on my air powered die grinder. Being that the muffler case is double thick, it took a bit to cut it open. When I finished, it would not stop smoking. It was smoldering like crazy and simply would not stop. I dumped out all of the insulation and it was like dumping over a BBQ - sparks everywhere. I tried to just stamp out the embers and it would not quench it. I hit it really good with the hose.

I was suprised that muffler packing could not only catch fire, but was also so difficult to put out. This being the case, wouldn't a car that was running way to rich basically turn the muffler into a bomb casing?

Anyway, just a long winded way to say "be careful".........
ape914
if it runs fine for five minutes then when it is hot it wont run, I'd look into the cold starting system, head temp sendor, aux air valve etc... make sure these are all turning on to warm running condition, if they stay in cold run conditon when car is warm, it wont run right.
r_towle
I built a 356 engine a few years back and we found a nice powder coated stock muffler to put on.
I had the engine on a stand...fired it up the first time and shot out a huge nest...it went everywhere.

Never know what climb in there...including long term oil drips.

rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.