Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinons on color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
My super straight 62k mile, nearly rust free car turned out to have been in an accident and it's not the unmolsted car I thought it was.

I'm now considering flares and possible a color change.

The car is originally black and my body guys insist that it will be super straight again (no matter what it costs me).

Anyway...what is the general opionon on changing the car from its original black?

I love yellow, my 1st 914 was signal orange and I like that a lot.

My current cars are Black (Avalanche), Black (CTS), yellow (Z06) and yellow with black stripes (69 Camaro)

There are other cool colors like Saturn Yellow (that's more a green).

Opinons welcome...

IPB Image
carr914
Keep it the Original Color
Cairo94507
Though I am not a fan of black because it is hard to keep looking pretty (my car is black but not the original color) I would paint it black because if you have to have a black car, it can't get any easier to maintain than having it on a 914. I do not see a lot of original black 914's so for me it would be black.
Dennis
I had the same quandary when I was left with a blank canvass on my '74 2.0 restoration. I have a preference for the 50's / 60's 356/911 colors; i.e. sand beige. I ended up with a color I won't see pass me by often; auratium green. Google "auratium green Porsche" and you'll see the color. I was told it was only ordered on a few Speedsters. (Some may say, "Thank God!") Color selection, being quite subjective, will result in a wide range of opinions. Pick what YOU like!

Dennis
LotusJoe
Alaska Blue Metallic (Alaskablau-Metallic) L96B

Click to view attachment

Orignal Color barf.gif
Click to view attachment

Or Audi TT green (Desert Green Pearl) if your not into original colors
Click to view attachment
a914622
How about the new VW squished bug blue/gray? You will probably never see another that color!!

Hey I know a guy pulling a DZ302 out of his 914 to put a suby in.. It would make the black strips look sexy!!

jcl
brant
definitely original color

having lived with a color change car for 27 years I can't tell you how annoying it is to find the original color showing through in different compartments when the new color gets a scratch....

unless you dip it I don't really think a color change car will ever completely cover every bit of old color....

Cairo94507
The DZ 302 (chevy '69 Z-28) is a wonderful engine. I rebuilt the one in my '69 Z-28 and that motor spun 8K like it was 5K and was one of the best motors I ever had.
mepstein
You write the check so do whatever puts a smile on your face when you tuck the car in at night.
Jeffs9146
My wife has a problem with my yellow one!! She tells me if it was Black she would ride in it!! dry.gif
Elliot Cannon
Black will look better over a long period of time than most colors. Even a crappy paint job like mine looks good sometimes. Just don't get closer than 20 feet. OK 30 feet. Any closer and you can tell the car was actually yellow at some time in its life. laugh.gif
ruby914
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jun 21 2012, 03:57 PM) *

My super straight 62k mile, nearly rust free car turned out to have been in an accident and it's not the unmolsted car I thought it was.

biggrin.gif Déjà vu
partwerks
Gunmetal grey.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gunmetal-grey
Gustl
if your prefered colours are black and yellow .... make it a bumblebee piratenanner.gif

ClayPerrine
If it were mine, I would paint it red, orange, or yellow.

But I like the bumblebee idea. Or paint it like a grasshopper.

veltror
Porsche speed yellow... that is what i am aiming for
NJ914Guy
Nepal Orange look great on a 914.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jun 21 2012, 03:57 PM) *

I'm now considering flares and possible a color change ...
The car is originally black ...
I love yellow ...

Bumblebee GT it is ...
biggrin.gif

Here's a crappy photoshop i did a long time ago:
IPB Image

steuspeed
How about something like this?
Type 47
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jun 22 2012, 03:22 PM) *

How about something like this?

That's one bad ass pre-74' 911
Type 47
apparently the media blast guy thinks it should be avacado

IPB Image
3d914
Go over here and play with some different colors to see what you like. I'd don't recall who created this, but I know he's on world somewhere.

Here's what I came up with for my SHO V6 conversion.
Click to view attachment
tadink
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:02 PM) *

Go over here and play with some different colors to see what you like. I'd don't recall who created this, but I know he's on world somewhere.

Here's what I came up with for my SHO V6 conversion.
Click to view attachment

GREAT tool for color choices - very cool!

td
Type 47

That is very cool, thanks for sharing!!!!

1st thing I did was bookmark it.
Type 47
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jun 23 2012, 10:10 AM) *

That is very cool, thanks for sharing!!!!

1st thing I did was bookmark it.

OMG this is not just paint but bumpers, spoilers, blacked out chrome, even the sail trim.

This is very awesome and just what I needed to make a bunch of decisions
Very Cool piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.