Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put the teener away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave-O
It's getting to be about that time of year up here. My car just kepts getting coated with leaves and other stuff while it sat by my place outside. I thought it was time to stash it back in my parent's garage. The colors are almost done, i just thought i'd post this picture of what's left of them. Enjoy!
scruz914
That is one heck of a nice photo. Looks like it could be your desktop wallpaper to get you through the Winter. Can you pull you car out of your parent's garage on a nice day?

-Jeff
rick 918-S
Yep, fall is leaving us fast around here. This will be the last weekend for the Alien if the water pump shows up in time. The sun is setting on a great spring and summer! WCC 04, MWC, great friends and great fun!
GWN7
Snowed here yesterday (all melted now) but 1/2 hr East they had enough snow to break branches off trees. The 914 got put away today. Fun's over till next year.... sad.gif
Mueller
nice picture(s).....damn, the idea of having to put ones car "away" for winter just plain bites headbang.gif
Elliot_Cannon
I winterized my 914 today. I reinstalled the rain tray!!
Cheers, Elliot
McMark
Yeah, do you have a full rez picture of that yellow car? That's a nice shot! email me if you've got it.
dlo914
thank god for california weather...only rain is an issue clap56.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 19 2004, 12:32 AM)
I winterized my 914 today. I reinstalled the rain tray!!
Cheers, Elliot

:finger2:
bob91403
Yeah, rains about ten days a year here. Wish we got more. I wouldn't have to wash it so often. Southern California is THE place to be if you own a 914. You can drive it year round. But, on a really cold day (60s) you have to wear a jacket. Of course, I never drive it with the top on it. That's just to keep people and rain out. I feel sorry for the rest of you, who have to put your's away. bootyshake.gif biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 18 2004, 09:29 PM)
the idea of having to put ones car "away" for winter just plain bites

you don't understand - we have the 'play season' and the 'winter refit' season -- also known locally as the 'salt season.'

i think it's a shame that they use so much salt here, but they do, and i'm glad to be able to keep the car out of it. (and environmentalists note, this is an ocean watershed - snowmelt here flows back to the Atlantic, from which the walt came in the first place...) i still don't like it - it got just as cold, just as snowy in Lake Tahoe, and they managed that just fine with sand...

anyway - i'll have the 911 down for a complete brake and suspension refit, and engine rebuild this winter. as soon as i get the replacement engine into the Subie ...
TJB/914
Driving season is over at my house. Took the insurance off and put HIPO-2L away for another year. Only had it out once this year. Been extremely busy with my business, going through a remodeling project at our Petoskey condo, and daughter just gave us a new grandson. Life has been good this year, just to much on my plate to drive the 914. I still enjoy walking through the garage lifting the car cover & stroking that nice Chrome Yellow paint (eye candy).

Next year I hope to start my next 914 project. Been collecting parts (GT Steel Flares, 16" Fuchs, New Rubber, Etc., Etc.). Need a rust free body or someone's failed project. As to motor??? Maybe LT-1 w/auto trans.

Tom
GaroldShaffer
I won't "put away" my 914 until after thanksgiving. I did drive it last winter before we had any real snow or salt on the roads.
balljoint
Please consider yourself blessed if you got to drive your teener this summer. Some of us have had their cars on jackstands for this driving season (and maybe longer).

Don't mind me, just a little green with envy. smile.gif

Lets hope that lots of work gets done this winter and that there are a whole lot more 914s on the road come spring.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(balljoint @ Oct 19 2004, 06:11 AM)
...Some of us have had their cars on jackstands for this driving season (and maybe longer).

1980, to be exact...

but i do still have the 911 running, and watching Racer Chris scream around LRP has given me new inspiration to have all its upgrades by Spring...
Dave-O
Yeah, do you have a full rez picture of that yellow car? That's a nice shot! email me if you've got it.

Shoot me a PM with your address and i'll send it out the first time i have a chance. Now i wish i actually would have cleaned it up a little bit for the pic! wink.gif

you don't understand - we have the 'play season' and the 'winter refit' season

Exactly! Not being able to drive it in the winter makes me focus on what needs to be done. This winters project list is as follows:

-Track down that nagging fuel issue that's plauged me at the last two autocrosses.
-4 new falkens
-Koni reds on all four corners
-Alignment/corner balance
-Dash face, lower dash pad, and door panels.
-Other little suspention tweeks allowed so i can run in C-Stock next year.
-Countless other little projects

Happy wrenchin' smash.gif

David
aircooledboy
with fingers in ears: lalalalalalalalala I can not hear you I can not hear you I can not hear you. . . . . . lol2.gif

The idea that I have but a few precious weeks to drive the teeners until they must hibernate for 5 months is making me wanna hurl barf.gif

The 1.7 has always been a treat, but the V8 has been more fun that I ever hoped, little train wrecks along the way notwithstanding. The reality that the FFC this week will be very close to the end of the year for the old girls is REALLY bringin me down this year. sad.gif I love my little corner of the flatlands, but I envy you left coasters for your weather about now. beer3.gif
Rhodes71/914
I haven't gotten to drive by 914 more than around the block since I got it in August. New parts coming this week so hopefully it will be ready by the weekend. We have already had one dusting of snow and they say maybe some tonight, but until there is actually packed snow and ice on the road I will take the car on short drives. They don't use salt here, mostly cinders (crushed up lava rock) and chemicals. The cinders aren't corrosive like salt but they can play hell on the paint job, lucky for me my paint sucks. driving.gif
iamchappy
I plan on driving mine till the snow falls. The turbo loves the fresh cold air.
mike_the_man
It's been snowing here for 3 days now! Plus freezing rain! The roads are like a frickin skating rink. I was hoping to do a little more driving, but I think this may be it for the year. It's supposed to get up to +10C by Friday, but they've already salted the roads, so I think it would be good to keep the teener tucked in. sad.gif
Howard
sad.gif

It's too sad to contemplate. Has anyone tried spiked tires and ice racing?
mike_the_man
Our local car club does do ice racing in the winter! Hmmm idea.gif Naww, the car would probably turn into an instant pile of rust as soon as I pulled it out of the garage.
J P Stein
I've got 2 more Axs ....Nov 7 is the last.....then the shitbox gets put up & torn down. Make it lighter, bigger tiars/flares, some suspension tweaks, and I'll keep looking for that B first gear which seems to be as rare as hens teeth. I can find AA & C, but that one in between.....auggh. sad.gif
scotty914
well i feel like i have the best of both worlds, except in maryland we have rain as a season. it gets cold here but on average the roads are only snow covered for 15 to 20 days a year, 3 years ago we had one snow fall, 2 years ago a lot some thing like 5 foot over the winter, last year 2 smaller snow falls that were only on the roads for 3 days each.

now if i could get the car going after a year and a half it would be much better.

where else can you get the ocean and the mountains less the 3 hours away, with a real fall with the leaves and all. you dont know what you are missing till you go for a drive with the roof off at sunset and get to see the leaves changing and you dont need a coat.

scott wavey.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(scott thacher @ Oct 19 2004, 12:00 PM)

where else can you get the ocean and the mountains less the 3 hours away, with a real fall with the leaves and all. you dont know what you are missing till you go for a drive with the roof off at sunset and get to see the leaves changing and you dont need a coat.

scott wavey.gif

Hey Scott spent some time around Mt Airy, MD one fall and having never been to the east coast before was very surprised and impressed with the terrain. Lots of fun country roads too.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(scott thacher @ Oct 19 2004, 12:00 PM)
where else can you get the ocean and the mountains less the 3 hours away, with a real fall with the leaves and all.

SEPA would qualify, except for that "mountains" part.
i think the highest point in the Pocono "mountains" is only about 2500' MSL.

in NV i'd look out the window at the 10,500' mountains. seasons there too, although about the only trees that really turned were the aspens and some maples. and okay - the ocean was 5 hrs away :-) but Lake Tahoe was 30 minutes...
Joe Ricard
Na na nann na na. Winter is the best time to drive 914's around here. Because it is not 100 freaking degrees with 100 % humidity. Now the top comes off and I don't need SPF 50 to go outside.

We also are running Autocross every month except December. You know ho ho ho. Guess that wil give me time to do some "up fixin"
Elliot_Cannon
When I was a young lad and not near as smart as I am now, myself a some friends went body-surfing in the morning, skydiving around noon and snow skiing in the afternoon. And we did it all in one day!! So. Cal. is the place to be.
Cheers, Elliot
balljoint
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving wasn't for you.
Elliot_Cannon
Skydiving was for me until I got married, bought a house, had a kid etc. Like Zorba the Greek said,"The full catastrophie!" I still body-surf and ski on occasion. I retire in 19 months and will have more time for fun stuff.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.