Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Fathers Day story I forgot to tell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Its been a great week with some new people on the board and it reminded me of how cool these cars are. Which also reminded me to tell my Fathers Day story.

My dad came down to watch the Le Mans 24 Hours, which we have done as long as I can remember it being televised in the U.S. We spent the first hour reminiscing about my grandpa and his love of sportscars, especially British and German ones he owned (I can list them later). Eventually we got on the topic of just how far engineering has come, from the earliest cars racing in the 1920s to the Audi/Toyota Hybrids, Deltawing and of course, Porsches. I told dad about my car and how the engineering VW/Porsche put into the car, as simple as it is, still astounds me. He joked and said that he still never considered 914s Porsches, and largely pieces of junk since every one he had seen was rusted out.

It then occurred to me that he hadn't even sat in or driven my car since I got it running! Speed's coverage of the race had just ended for Nascar practice confused24.gif conveniently around lunch time, so I suggested we take a ride to our local burger joint which we both grew up going to as kids.

After explaining the vagueness of the gearbox, the fact that I haven't had a chance to do a 4-wheel alignment, the carbs aren't synched and that its intimidating at first getting on the highway with modern cars, I gave him the keys. We hadn't made it to the end of the street before I could see a smile on his face beginning to appear. By the time we got to the restaurant, he was having a blast and shifting the car better better than me; many years of driving VW buses will do that I guess. He got out and told me not only how cool the car was, but how awesome he thought it was that I brought it back from the brink. Needless to say I'm looking forward to many more drives with the old guy!

-George
JawjaPorsche
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I miss turning wretches with my dad. Cherish the moments.
poorsche914
Cool story. It was my dad who inadvertently got me addicted to 914s in the early '80s. He had a white '75 1.8 with chromed steelies & hub caps (still love that look). A few years later, my first 914 was an Alaska Blue Metallic '73 2.0 followed by a number of other 914s over the years (see my sig below).

Talked to him on Fathers Day and he asked if I'd be at my niece's wedding coming up in the fall. He told me I need to bring my 914 so he can drive it smile.gif

driving.gif
Jeffs9146
I remember the first time I told my father that I bought a porsche and took him for a ride in my 914/6! I think it was 1983! He has passed but I still think about him when I get in my 3.0L/6 and hit the gas! beerchug.gif

Here is a photo of the car he rode in back then!
seanery
I miss my dad. He "allowed" me to buy my first 914 when I was 18. He was also the guy who I could always count on to help me figure stuff out. I get a lot less done on projects since he's gone.

Enjoy the good times! driving.gif
bcheney
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 21 2012, 10:03 PM) *

I miss my dad. He "allowed" me to buy my first 914 when I was 18. He was also the guy who I could always count on to help me figure stuff out. I get a lot less done on projects since he's gone.

Enjoy the good times! driving.gif

That is a great story. My dad loaned me $4750 back in 1983 to buy the 914 I still own today. He's not mechanically inclined but raised me around cars and took me to stock car races at various tracks in upstate NY when I was growing up. The connection you have with your dad sounds very cool. Mine is still around and I love spending time with him! Thanks for sharing!
ThePaintedMan
Thank you guys for your stories and pictures as well. I was kinda caught up in the moment so I forgot to take a picture of dad driving it. But below is a picture of my grandpa who I never knew holding one of his numerous hand crafted balsa models. This is a 34 Dusenberg J. We're in the one below it. I suppose there is some family resemblance. Only took me 28 years to see it.
rick 918-S
You need to convince him to get a 914 and join in with the crazys here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.