Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New wood door panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Dr Evil
I figure that I would post this separately from my upholstery stuff as it is not a service as much as it is a good. I have these door panels that are laser cut from 1/4" high density fiber board. Very nice and only $40 a set!
Dr Evil
Pic
i love porsche
whats the weight compared to a stock door panel?
Dr Evil
I don't know exactly as I do not have the weight of a stripped OE panel to compare it to. Mine weigh 1lb 11oz (.75 Kg) each.
Does that answer your question?
Qarl
I would look into having these made out of a synthetic material, instead of fiber board.

The inside of the door panel is exposed to some moisture. That's why the factory had the plastic sheeting barrier there (to protect the door panel.

There was a thread a while back on this... some suggestions were made...Sintra is one brand. It is a PVC based hi-density foam board. Often found at art stores.

You could also coat the expo
Dr Evil
Ya, I could, but these are $40 and what I have available. I am not making these, just selling. What would a comprable sheet of sintra cost? I am guessing more, but I honestly do not know. If it is easy to procure and cheap, and if I have enough interest in them I may go for it. The only thing is I am not doing R&D on things for a while as I have too many classes. I know that I could get these out of any color of acrylic if I wanted, but I have no idea of the cost. If moisture were a concern I would recommend either replacing the plastic shield, or spraying the pannels with some sealant. As they stand, the glue in them is a bit resistant and would deal with a usual amount of moisture for quite some time I imagine (so long as your seals are up to snuff).
rhodyguy
the doors should have a vapor barrier regardless. i think a water proofing product like thompsons, or something similar, would take care of the moisture break down issue.

kevin
Dr Evil
I talked to the guy that makes these for me last night. He said that Acrylic would be too brittle, but he could make it out of poly carbonate and it would be bullet proof (litterally). Any PVC product is a no go due to the chloride gasses produced when cutting with a laser. As for the poly carbonate, the price would be as much as three times more. He recommended using Rhino lining on the door pannel back. It is tough as hell and water proof. Thats what he did and he likes it. He also put it on many other parts of his car for protection.
HTH
MattR
Sweet, I could use bullet proof doors living in LA biggrin.gif .
djm914-6
Nah, Bulletproof would be too heavy. Make the entire door from Lexan. biggrin.gif

MattR, does AirBoston ring a bell?
jim_hoyland
Just saturate the inside with resin. We do it all the time with stuff. You could also put wax paper down while it's still tacky and get an even better barrier !
MattR
Yep. Who is that? Do you two post on the same user name?

(sorry for the hijack mike)
kid914
I know it s been a long time but wondering if these are still made. Thanks
Dr Evil
QUOTE(kid914 @ May 23 2020, 10:21 PM) *

I know it s been a long time but wondering if these are still made. Thanks

Sorry, not from me. Left here for informational purposes only.
mepstein
I think 914rubber sells raw panels
@Mikey914
Mikey914
We do complete door panels and are in production for an upcoming group buy.
We do sell panels and will open them back up in the next few days. So this is timely.
We also have the vinyl and padding if you need it too.
Hoppie944s2
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 18 2004, 09:15 PM) *

I figure that I would post this separately from my upholstery stuff as it is not a service as much as it is a good. I have these door panels that are laser cut from 1/4" high density fiber board. Very nice and only $40 a set!

Do you still make these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.