Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DTM for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
Okay guys... Give me some input here..

I am looking into making a completely new DTM system for a 914 application. It will utilize the stock oil cooler in the stock position and will fi with a modified rain tray (that would come with the kit).......... The basic shroud will stay the same and will keep in emphesis even running temps between the left and right bank cylinders and will do so about 25% better than the stock arrangement while looking alot neater and dropping 30-40 pounds of weigh off the engine and adding a ton of simplicity

It will come complete with all necessary tinware to seal the ebngine bay, and etc. It will only work with individual runners carbs/fi. I am working on an FI plenum for all my DTMS as we speak and that will be available in 2005.

So, who wants one or is even remotely interested? If I don't get 15 dedicated souls I'm not doing the development as its just not worth it to spend dozens of hours making the molds.

Cost would be around 700.00 for the complete kit.
SPEAK UP!!!!!!!
bernbomb914
I AM SPEAKING UP FOR THE 4TH TIME I WANT THE FIRST ONE

Bernie
Jake Raby
Get your friends to speak up too... I can't do it for just one or two sales! This is TONS of work!
Elliot_Cannon
I might like a new DTM system. What's a DTM sytem?
Cheers, Elliot
Jake Raby
www.massivetype4.com

Its a cooling system that I build from scratch that kicks ass!
Elliot_Cannon
We talking about the verticle fan shroud thing? Kinda sorta like a 911?
bernbomb914
with this system you can kiss your overheating blues goodby. just think no more dropped valve seats. you wont need external oil coolers, Its cheap at half the price

Bernie
Jake Raby
Nope, kinda sorta like a 356 or beetle. It uses a Type I fan..

Look at the pics, they are self explanatory, click on the main pic for a gallery
MattR
Jake, Im seriously thinking of investing in one. Ive seen the results on all the non-914 engines and Im impressed.

I have a few questions that would help though.

First, What modifications above the ~700 dollar kit would be required?

Can I do this with the engine installed? Or does it have to be out of the car?

Thirdly, when would they be available?
Jake Raby
available in February or so... (since I have a HUGE project going on that has to be done by Jan 1:-)

The kit would be all thats necessary, no hidden costs.

The engine would needn to be pulled, it would be faster and easier out of thecar..
MattR
Does this kit replace all the shroud? Or would I still need to keep some of the stock tin?
Jake Raby
No stock tin is retained..... NONE< ZERO< ZILCH!
MattR
Is it worth it with a 2056?

And how do you keep the hot air away from the carbs?
bernbomb914
How much more for carbon fiber?

Bernie
Korijo
I am interested!
Jake Raby
No matter how big the engine is it can benefit from more even running temps across all 4 cylinders.

Carbon Fiber is 650.00 upgrade! Not cheap but it only weighs less than 1 pound:-)
MattR
The stock (700 dollar kit) is fiberglass, correct? Are there big weight differences between the two? Have you weighed them? Im just curious.
Jake Raby
The stock kit is fiberglass... The C/F shroud is 6 pounds lighter than fiberglass....
bernbomb914
will you be using the stock cooler or a new one that fit into the shroud like you described on your forum?

Bernie
Jake Raby
Two different versions will be available.

One will use the stock cooler in the stock location in my newest design and another will use an aftermarket cooler placed in the engine surroud tins for better cooling.
bernbomb914
same price?

Bernie
Jake Raby
Nope, more $$$... Probably another 100 bucks due to needing a custom mold made for the cooler housing..
bernbomb914
I want the first one with the new cooler location

Bernie
Jake Raby
I still need MORE interest...

Probably a 100 buck deposit from everyone that wants one..
McMark
I like the idea of better cooling. I hate the idea of non-stock look. So unless a DTM is the only way I'm going to keep my engine cool, I'll stick with stock.
MattR
You'd take show over go Mark?
McMark
Let me repeat...

Unless a DTM is the only way I'm going to keep my engine cool, I'll stick with stock.

...in other words...

I don't want it unless i need it.
Jake Raby
Some people don't need it...

Put a gauge on all 4 of your cylinders and I'll betcha that most people would then buy it...

Uneven running temps account for most of the engine failures that we see.

I have DTM equipped 180-200HP engines running head temps 50 degrees cooler than a stock 2.0 for hours at a time.
bernbomb914
give us a paypal address
bernie
DNHunt
I'll consider it Jake. It'll have to be after taxes for me though. From now until April I'm squirrellin away acorns.

Dave
gopack
Jake, I would be interested, since I live in a pretty warm area, and I assume that this would eliminate the need for a front mounted oil cooler. If you get enough interest, I would have no problem putting something down to help fund the initial start up of your production.

Just to be clear, this will work with any type 4 in the 914, so if I upgrade my engine some day for more HP or whatever, it just swaps over. RIGHT?

Do you remove the old fan from the front of the engine? and then mount another (or same) above it? This will work with dual carbs I assume since you configure your engines this way.
How about elevation. I live in high area with low humididty, the air is thin and dry, and doesn't have much capacity fo rremoving heat.. I guess if your system is better than the stock that isn't an issue.

I hope you get enough response for this project, cause it seems like a definite need in our little community!

One last comment! It is so great to see all the people out there dedicated to enhancing and improving the technology in our old (low?) tech cars! You all know who you are. CHEERS beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
seanery
I'd be interested, but I'm in the same boat as Dave Hunt, tax time at the earliest for me.
Jake Raby
From what I have noted here there are a few guys that are interested in the system. BUT with the amount of private messages and emails I got about the system needing to look different I can see that it is not worth going forward with.

I will spend the time on another project.

Thanks to the guys that are/were interested I am sorry that there just isn't enough of you that appreciate the system enough to buy one.
JmuRiz
From looking at the DTM with the serpentine belt you would remove the stock fan. From the Type 1 system, they are working on hooking an A/C compressor to this belt system too, cool (pun intended). The internal oil cooler is a GREAT idea. Better cooling than the stock oil cooler w/o having to cut up the front of the car and run lines, VERY NICE. From looking at the shoptalk forum and Jake's site, he's not blowing smoke up your @$$, if it doesn't work he'll work till it works or scrap the idea.

I AM interested, I just would also like to know if this 914 system is a universal Type IV system...meaning I have a 2.0 with Dual webbers now, if I were to upgrade upto a 2.6 would the same system i bought for the 2.0 still bolt on? If so, I think many people would be a go for the system.

We all know that certain cylinders run hotter and cause problems, if this can remedy that, and cool the oil better, and have the option of A/C, and fit on small and large displacement motors a-like...then I guarentee I'll buy one!

I hope others feel the same, thanks.
Jake Raby
The system would have been a direct replacement for ANY type IV engine in a 914.

I have 200HP engines that run 50 degrees cooler than a stock 2.0 with all cylinders within 5% of each other with this system! This is on a drive from Baton Rouge to Orlando Florida at 85+ MPH..

One of my F production 914 guys runs the system and dropped 75 degrees off his head temps all the time and instead of doing valve adjustments after every race, now he does them every 4-5 races and finds them to be much more stable due to less expansion and contraction issues.

It amazes me how many people will let the looks of something over rule its fit, function and practicality. If someone saw one of my carbon fiber units in person they would never complin about looks ever again..
JmuRiz
It amazes me as well, having seen the DTM on your site I think it looks cool actually...and with those temp readings it's hard to argue. Spending an extra $1k on a motor for it not to blow up is not that big a deal.

Come on guys, get on board and make this happen smilie_pokal.gif
Brett W
Jake
Can I use the standard T4 shroud in my race car? If so I would just assume save you the developement work for specific 914 version.
Jake Raby
Brett, you should be able to with no issues. Mark's shroud fits in his car well. send me an email and I will send you some pics
JmuRiz
...I just got a little confused. Is the new 914 DTM for cars with stock FI also, or is it for a dual carb setup. If the regular DTM will fit on a 914 motor running dual carbs, then we could just use it (since I have dual carbs). Having said that, you said you'll be testing it on your 2.3, so I assume it'll be for dual carbs and fit under the rain tray, correct.
Jake Raby
It will come with a modified rain tray...

It will be FI compatible as soon as our DTM FI plenum is finished..

It could still be used with IR throttle bodies and FI easier.
bob91403
Detractors bootyshake.gif You go pray.gif Jake. I will want one eventually. Racers and AXers should be pounding on the table. chowtime.gif
eeyore
Eventually? Why not sign up for one now and save it for later, as I plan on doing. A bird in the hand, yadda, yadda...
bob91403
QUOTE(Cloudbuster @ Oct 19 2004, 04:11 PM)
Eventually? Why not sign up for one now and save it for later, as I plan on doing. A bird in the hand, yadda, yadda...

No money now. Wouldn't want it 'til I have Jake do a rebuild, then definitly.
guywan914
Jake would definately be interested in the DTM, Please let me know if you have enough response. Could save some shipping cost if you send it back with my engine. Does this mean I don't need my oil cooler? Anyone need a MoCal oil cooler?BTW Jake do you have any dyno results on my engine?
gopack
bump icon_bump.gif
914forme
Been Waiting come on Jake bring it on.
neglected914
I'm in........ how many interested does that make? Jake where do I send the deposit?
Jake Raby
Okay, all that are interested.........

Send an email to info@aircooledtechnogy.com and Kathy will add you to the list and I will be in touch with updates when they are available.
gopack
should be "info@aircooledtechnology.com"
Jake Raby
thats what I said, right???LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.