Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Porsche/European Shops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Well, I took my car down to a local european car shop today at the recommendation of my good buddy T.C. I was mostly curious as to what the "going rate" would be for them to go through my car and check my work/mistakes i.e. was my valve adjustment way off, what opinions did they have about my carb problems/setup etc. Granted, this is a performance shop, but boy was I shocked at the response.

I have never felt so dismissed in my life. I explained that this car was a learning opportunity for me and that I've come a long way in just a few months. However, I wanted to learn more and even volunteer my time helping around the shop to glean some knowledge. Basically I was told "we're not interested" and that the amount of money they would charge to take a look at the car was more than I had to spend.

I guess I'm just frustrated that I have not found a single shop yet that wants to even deal with our cars. If it was a mint /6, it might be a little different, but for the most part, I'm starting to really understand what a bastard child people believe the 914 to be. The VW guys don't want to mess with it and the Porsche guys are well, exactly what I've always expected them to be. I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but are Porsche mechanics/shops often like this because they know many/most of the people who own them more willing to write a large check then learn or work on their own cars?

I felt like I was walking the walk and talking the talk and that I at least somewhat know my way around things by now, but I was made to feel like a real idiot this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get ones foot in the door with a good mechanic to learn first-hand? Or do I need to just keep plugging along and learning on my own?

All this has only solidified what a great resource all of you have been. I've learned far more from your opinions and suggestions than any master mechanic has told me so far. So thank you.

-George
ldsgeek
Don't feel too bad. I ride old Japanese motorcycles, currently a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650C, and don't even bother trying to find someone to work on them. None of the dealerships will touch it as most of the techs are younger than the bike. We have a few independent shops but the labor rates are a bit high, like $40 to mount a tire that was carried in.
ThePaintedMan
Exactly. I was embarrassed enough to drag my piece of crap down there amongst Prancing Horses, 911s and others. Then I was swiftly ushered off the premises. Maybe it was for the better than spending who knows what on their shop rates. The strange part is that most of the mechanics I could see were older gents, who I expected would enjoy the thought of passing on some air-cooled knowlege.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 22 2012, 03:42 PM) *

Exactly. I was embarrassed enough to drag my piece of crap down there amongst Prancing Horses, 911s and others. Then I was swiftly ushered off the premises. Maybe it was for the better than spending who knows what on their shop rates. The strange part is that most of the mechanics I could see were older gents, who I expected would enjoy the thought of passing on some air-cooled knowlege.

take it over to joe sharp a few hours from you , but i have a hard time believing there isn't anyone in the tampa/st.pete area as large as it is. but screw those guys!

but have found that even our porsche dealership here when i took my 914 by were really interested in checking it out!! but one of the mechanics here had 50 years experience as a certified porsche mechanic- is from germany and did the internship program with them back in the day.- there is a 356 motor on a stand in the entry of the dealership that he rebuilt for a customer. We have a local independant guy here also that has helped me and billh1963 -specializes in the air/oil cooled motors, so if you cant get help there, bring it up to SC!!

good luck!- they are out there, just keep looking
toolguy
First of all, you probably know more about the car than the dealership mechanics. . they haven't worked on 914's in ages and most of their mechanics never have, so they are going to have to figure out things and 'look at the book' if they still have 914 workshop manuals. . .
Next, shops where I live charge from a low of $85 an hour to $135. . . so if their guy just looks it over for 4 hours, that $500 and tells you what is wrong,are you going to pay it?? and anything they find that you want fixed is charges by 'flat rate'. . they are in the business to make money, and don't do free customer inspections for no one unless there is something in it for them. . that's life in todays business world. . . so that where places like 914World come in. . at least you get questions answered for free .
ThePaintedMan
Good points gents! Thats all I needed was a pick-me-up. I am definitely going to see Joe at some point or another; most likely the Tropical Ramble in the Fall. South Carolina sounds nice too - might be an excuse to get my girlfriend in the car and take a long ride.

And I certainly understand the need to make money and the reason for shop rates. Just surprised that someone with a true desire to learn rather than fork down cash and be done with it isn't more welcome. But then again, thats probably the majority of their customers and well, the way things are usually done for them.
SUNAB914
Never go there again, keep looking, you will find the right shop.
914Sixer
A funny story I keep hearing over and over at repair shops is, yeah, we used to have an OLD guy that worked on those cars but he retired. Keep looking around until you find the OLD guy.
Cairo94507
Hey don't sweat it. If they have an attitude like that you don't want them anywhere near your car. They probably have a 50% additional mark-up for Porsche cars because they feel they can get away with it.

Find a shop that welcomes you and your car and treats you like a valued customer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.