Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm losing interest in my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
As many of you have followed my build thread I am pretty much done with my 914 GT conversion and have been driving her for over a year now but I'm losing the passion for her. I also have the 911 and I tend to want to drive the 911 more often. Plus I have other ' toys " that I'm working on and the 914 just sits and she deserves more. I'm even considering selling her. Do you guys go through this as well ?
JawjaPorsche
Take two aspirins and immediately go to bed! You are very sick and hopefully this will pass. biggrin.gif
mepstein
Send it up to me for the summer and after you miss it for a while I will return it.

smj
My interest in different things runs in cycles. Sometimes I'm all fired up about photography, then it moves back to the cars, for a stretch it'll be vintage computers, then riding the motorcycle, after a while it settles on doing things to the house. Rinse, repeat...

Normal condition, I think, if you're lucky enough to have time and resources after taking care of all the basics.
TheCabinetmaker
My passion for some other things in life come and go. The 914 is never waneing
6freak
Man i dont know how many times .....i said i wish i would have never sold tha car

1967 Mustang 302
1970 Chevy short box fleet side 400SB
1972 Chevy long box ....350
dont remember what year the Opel Manta GT was
and Bike`s Snowmachines,quads

I say if it dont cost keep it.(Cept insurance of course )
smile.gif
r_towle
Take your 911 to one autox...

Rich
eric9144
I've gone through this at times as well, I've owned my 914 for many years now...At one point I had a 911, the 914, my daily driver and a couple motorcycles (yes the sickness is strong in me)...

There were times when I hadn't driven the 914 for MONTHS and considered selling it off...Then I got in, drove the piss out of it and was reminded of what a joy it was to own--costs me very little per year to drive, insure and maintain vs the other vehicles in the stable...

I ended up selling the 911 and keeping the 914, so glad I did, I think ultimately it's more of the experience I really wanted from a 'fun' car than the 911 was in the long run...

Unless its draining your wallet...put it on a battery tender and keep it, a few years down the line you will be glad you did. Just my two cents...
Pat Garvey
My 914 has been off the road for six years. Took it off to clean it up underneath for another concours. Mistake. Started out well, but other things got in the way. Next thing I knew I had a quarter tank of bad gas and a fuel tank that, gorgeous as it is on the outside, had real problems with rust on the inside.

Refurbished another good tank, bought almost all replacement FI parts, but have yet to kick myself in the ass to do anything with them.

When you don't exercise any vehicle, you made a nistake.

Now, I'm getting older and will need to hire younger bodies to make it runnable.
Stupid!
iamchappy
Turbo it, i guaranty you will gain back your interest.
bcheney
It's like anything else in life...you have moments...don't sweat the small stuff...remember all the time and fun you put into completing the project...you can never replace that experience...it's unique and makes for great story telling...If you need the money that's something completely different...if you dont need the money and just want a new challenge...then follow TC's lead...sell it and never look back. It's up to you buddy...I am hear for ya...you did a helluva job with that car and if you end up selling it make sure you sell it to someone who will be a good steward smile.gif We have all taken an oath and are obligated to preserve the breed!!
sixnotfour
Its Obvious to me that Clearly you have Not driven it enough.....

But then 914's remind me of when I was 14 chasing my buddies in homemade Gokarts.

Do whats best for you !
KELTY360
When was the last time you got together with a bunch of 914 guys for a drive and lie swap?
struckn
I rotate my Fun Rides, and as much as I love the 914 for now, when it had engine problems and went into the shop last April, still in the shop getting an engine rebuild, I quickly fell back in love with my '68 AMX that I had thought of selling prior to the 914 going down.

slap.gif

So, if you're loving the 911 wait until it needs work and you'll quickly re-establish your love for the 914 and be glad you kept it. If you don't need the money, or space hold on to it and keep it ready to roll. Take it somewhere where it can be seen and step away to watch it attact attention in order to appreciate what you got.

Can't wait to get the teener back... unsure.gif
oldschool
I'm the same way,
my red car stop working(waiting for a complete conversion) and its been a over a year
Thank God I have one that I can drive.
but out of all the cars I had
1968 Jag
1968 BMW
1972 Datsun 510
1968 Porsche 912
1972 VW van
1947 chop top pick up
1949 business coupe
1973 P1800 volvo
1972 914
1972 MBZ 250 coupe
1972 Datsun 240Z

...It was the 914 that I miss the most. shades.gif
rfuerst911sc
Thanks guys. I'm fortunate I do not have to sell it or need the money but extra cash never hurts smile.gif . I put over 3 years of sweat into the car and didn't spare the $$$ on parts so I'll never get out of her what I have in it but that was not the goal when I built her. This was going to be and still is the last car I do a full restoration on. But at age 54 I find that I want to explore other things like the Avion truck camper I'm restoring or the Boston Whaler I'm restoring or the BMW R90/6 motorcycle I bought last week ( no restoration required ). I'm lining up my life to hopefully retire in 5-6 years and one of the Porsche's will have to go at that time. The cost of upkeep/repairs is the same between the two because they both have 3.0 engines so that is a wash. Sounds like others are going through or have gone through what I'm feeling right now so I'm not alone. Like a kidney stone this to shall pass biggrin.gif . I think I'll take her for a drive today so she doesn't feel neglected. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I feel your pain. I have the same feelings about my car. I love it to death, but I cant drive it the way I want to...
Mr.242
If you do sell it: Set a price that is so ridiculous or out of the true range you should actually get for it.....then if someone come up with the funds to actually pay that amount. You'll laugh to the bank on the sale. The market is low and sounds like you've got 5-6 years to allow it to rebound and make some solid retirement plans. Maybe in retirement you will enjoy the car a bit more because your days are now free to enjoy all your hobbies. Certainly the 914 would be in that hobby.

THINK of Dr. Evil (Mike Meyers style)... "One MILLION DOLLARS" motto if you considering selling.

This coming from the guy who just finished a car and I've mentally added up what I've spent and can't imagine any price someone could come in and suddenly purchase it.
rfuerst911sc
Went to start her today nothing would not even turn over. She's been on a charger so I jumper her with another battery nada !!! I went to fire up the 911 after sitting for 3 weeks and she fired right up. I'll have the 914 battery tested tomorrow but apparently she is pissed biggrin.gif If I can't get her running with a new battery she's going up for sale life is too short to fuch around !!!
carr914
It's that stinger that Dr 914 put up your ass & broke off - you'll be OK

Just remember the Good Times beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
bcheney

That was a good day putting that 3.0 in...How do I know....I'm to one taking this picture! Hang in their Rick...all will be well with a new battery smile.gif
rfuerst911sc
TC thanks for the pic that brought back memories of a fun day and Brian you are right she'll be OK I guess I'm just going through a phase. I'll have the battery tested today and go from there. Thanks to all for talking me off the edge biggrin.gif
rfuerst911sc
Well today I finally got around to getting her fired up. I went on vacation and have been busy with projects/work so I had to charge up the battery. Took some coaxing but finally got her fired up. Tomorrow I'm going to take her out and flog her like a bad girl evilgrin.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 23 2012, 10:40 AM) *

If you do sell it: Set a price that is so ridiculous or out of the true range you should actually get for it.....then if someone come up with the funds to actually pay that amount. You'll laugh to the bank on the sale. The market is low and sounds like you've got 5-6 years to allow it to rebound and make some solid retirement plans.

agree.gif I've had several people tell me that they think my price on the 911 is realistic. They aren't the people looking to buy, of course. Not going to give it away and in ten years wonder WTF was I thinking...
dlestep
I went through same thing about a year or two ago.
I hung onto my '72 911 until last year, and ended up getting rid of it because
I retired and realistically couldn't afford to refinish two Porsches.
It took about 6 months for me to decide. It hurt, but it opened a fresh, new
energy on other things.
My wife wanted a Karmann Ghia to redo and I am in the middle of that at the
moment.
My son had a Type 3 Fastback, and we were in the middle of that at the same
time. Then he decides to purchase a '65 Type 3 Notchback, which is what he's
into at the moment, placing the Fastback on the back burner, (in my driveway).
My '74 914 went back on jackstands and has remained there. I purchased all
of the expensive parts early on, so when the Ghia is complete, I will return
to the 914 with renewed energy.
For someone that is retired, I am really busy. No stress, on my own clock, love it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.