Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Its a Doozy!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawktel
The latest on the shelf of P-Mechanics has Leno talking about how he found a Doozy in a barn, that had been parked for 50-60 years.

Besides being a stand up type of guy (offering the buy what ever was in a barn sight unseen?) And giving some good advice (Befriend the old guys, cause you never know when they will move a project along to a new guy) he mentioned that somewhere in NYC, there is a Doozy on a 4th floor of a parking garage. Its been stranded there for 40-50 years when a elevator renovation made it unable to leave.

Anyone know where it is? I'll be going to NYC in May, and I thought it might be cool to look it up.

Duesenbergs are cool cars.
McMark
icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif

Sorry, not a fan of anything that's not a sports car.

IPB Image
i love porsche
wow..lucky guy...id like to find one of them!

at least it will be brought back to its full glory now. that thought warms my heart =] wub.gif
MattR
IIRC Leno said he's been trying to buy the dusenburg in NY for a long time and they wont sell it. He only got the one mentioned in the article because the owner passed away (who he had been pestering for 20 years), and the owner's daughter sold Leno the car.

I think the car is amazing because, the way he describes it, its a 70 year old car thats so solid and well built, it feels like its new. Did you see that thing? Its in great shape.
Aaron Cox
said it had plastic gears in it from the factory...wtf?
dflesburg

LOL. I didn't think we had any of the whine and cheesy polo shirt guys at 914world.com

I bet he doesn't even own a welder.
Sammy
Doozies were incredible cars considering when they were made. Same with early Cords and Packards.
Supercharged, unheard of large hp numbers and displacements for the time, top speed that was better than most race cars of the era. smooth ride with very quick yet stable handling, at least 50 years ahead of their time.
The engineering that went into even the smallest parts is impressive to say the least.
Kargeek

I had the opportunity to tour Jay Leno's garage when he had his buildings in Burbank and I can tell you that he is a real car guy. His shop was a mess with parts and tools everywhere- just like mine and yours. He has an awsome collection of goofy rare and interesting vehicles including his masterpiece Doosie collection...I wish I could have just one of them, or drive one.

I have been in a number of wine and cheese garages- Jay's not one of them...he actually works on some of his vehicles.

DH
Maltese Falcon
I saw him in a Stanley Steamer going up Barham Bl. one evening. He was sitting high and mighty up there in the seat. That pressure cooker must have a Blow Off Valve bigger than the honda guys ! biggrin.gif
campbellcj
I've seen him on the road as well, in various antiques. Even though Leno is known to not be a huge Porsche fan, and has far too much money for any mortal human, he is clearly one of "us" in the car-fiend sense. Personally I like the fact that he seems genuine and down-to-earth in this regard as we all know there are way too many snobs in The Biz. Leno actually gets out amongst the general public and freely talks about his car hobby... aktion035.gif
fiid
QUOTE(Sammy @ Oct 19 2004, 12:11 PM)
Doozies were incredible cars considering when they were made. Same with early Cords and Packards.
Supercharged, unheard of large hp numbers and displacements for the time, top speed that was better than most race cars of the era. smooth ride with very quick yet stable handling, at least 50 years ahead of their time.
The engineering that went into even the smallest parts is impressive to say the least.

IIRC handling wasn't exactly a forte for Cords. Didn't they have a problem with the doors coming open when going around corners? I seem to remember also that they suffered from Chassis "whip" ("whip" is WAAAY beyond "flex" - and flex is bad.

I don't remember any of the details on this.
confused24.gif
Hawktel
Doozies were the supercar of their time.

You just need to remember that time was 70 years ago. smile.gif

Everything I've heard or seen of Leno is that he is a car guy. He gets in there and turns the wrench and gets his hands dirty.

Duesenbergs are cool cars. I'd not want to own one, cause I couldn't afford the upkeep. But I'm glad people Lke Leno have them, and keep them up.
Mike D.
I have also seen Leno several time out and about in Burbank, usually Hollywood Way, between NBC and his Warehouse. Once in a Bugatti, Once in the Steamer, many time on motor cycles. The Day I saw him in the Steamer, he told me "Hey, Nice 914!", he actually yelled it over the noise of that car at a stop light.

I also met him once on the New Years Day Fun Run. He was driving a two seat tandem 3 wheel car called a Rocket.

For those of you in the LA area you gotta come out for this fun run, it's a blast. The group I always run with meets at TRE in N. Hollywood. That is if you can get up that early on New Years Day.

-Mike D.
McMark
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Oct 19 2004, 10:27 AM)

LOL. I didn't think we had any of the whine and cheesy polo shirt guys at 914world.com

Gimme a break. Apparently it's Mark's opinions are stupid week. Oh well. Hopefully next week will be better. Oh and I have Oxy-Acetelyne, MIG, TIG, and Arc welders. Anything I'm missing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.