Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Heat Exchanger Availability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Looking around for heat exchangers, it looks like Billy Boat is about it here in the US. Mittlemotor lists two different diameters but lists no manufacturer. It looks like GHL doesn't do Porsche stuff anymore?

*edit* added Hayward & Scott

BB - $2310 pr
MM - E 1469 each blink.gif That's $1847 at today's exchange rate - each!! You will get a 19.5% discount if shipped to the US, however.
H&S GBP 1400 pr - they look most like factory exchangers

What else is available now?

That brings up another idea. What are the odds of buying Bursch headers and fabbing HE's and ceramic coating the whole lot?

Mittlemotor HEs
IPB Image

Billy Boat HEs
IPB Image

Bursch Headers
IPB Image

Hayward & Scott
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Look up Hayward and scott. Not cheap but looks nice. Many people have talked about fabbing up their own but it rarely happens.
sixnotfour
put a big alternator and go electric...thats my latest, love it.

http://dcthermal.com/brushess-cabin-heaters
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 22 2012, 07:29 PM) *

put a big alternator and go electric...thats my latest, love it.

http://dcthermal.com/brushess-cabin-heaters

What size are you running Jeff? Looks like they range from 220W to 600W.

Its low priority on my list of things needed to get the -6 back on the road, but I love driving on cool spring or fall days with the top off. Won't be too enjoyable w/o heat; although I am looking seriously at putting seat heaters in too.
smj
I've got no heat in my -6, and was trying hard not to think about the cost of heat exchangers - though I'm glad they're still available. I'd been eyeing the heated seat inserts at Camp914, but an electric heater with enough umph to clear the windshield would still be a good idea... idea.gif
pete-stevers
i have heard the bb and stainless versions.... are more for the thought ..than the heat....
smj
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2012, 06:19 PM) *

Look up Hayward and scott. Not cheap but looks nice. Many people have talked about fabbing up their own but it rarely happens.

Hayward & Scott - 914 / 6 Performance manifold with heat exchangers

€1.400 w/o tax or shipping, or about US$1,760 for the pair at today's exchange rate. So depending on shipping and tax, maybe a better price than BB.
ClayPerrine
Use these:

Aircraft Spruce Homebuilder heat muffs.

IPB Image

They bolt over the exhaust and turn a simple tube into a heat exchanger.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 23 2012, 09:04 AM) *

Use these:

IPB Image

It would be nice if someone tested them out. I have a feeling that 9 inches of coverage won't be enough to heat the interior to the temp I want
seanery
Ebay $3900 Heat Exchangers! unsure.gif
SLITS
I have a set of B&Bs. Will let you know how they work once we finish the conversion.

I have a couple of sets of mangy /6s ... they can be fixed, but they ain't pretty.

$4K is a new high. Last ones I saw were $2.2K
seanery
Ron, the thing I've read about the BB is that the fit at the muffler (driver side?) is off a bit. I'd love to hear how they fit and function for you!

I do like the look of the Hayward & Scott.
sean_v8_914
what is the going price for original 914/6 heat exch that are in usable condition?
seanery
AA has some a left one that needs work for about $450 on ebay.
sean_v8_914
they are better than that.
sean_v8_914
...self lubricating
sean_v8_914
afraid of extinction, he has gone into self preservation mode.
sean_v8_914
the pipe bends are groovy
Steve
What sucks about original heat exchangers is that they measure 1 3/8" and taper to about 1 1/4 on the inside. Not optimal for a bigger motor. My 3.2 runs fine on them, but I know I am probably losing a bit of HP with them. I should be running 1 5/8"
IronHillRestorations
About 50% of the B&B's I've sold/bought had problems. I won't get them anymore, as it costs too much to round trip ship those things.

Heat exchangers of mild steel = future life insurance payout for your beneficiaries

Every set of factory 914-6 HE's I've ever seen have that same pitting as the spendy ones on eBay. And every set of 6 HE's that have come off a running car usually needs a little repair.

FWIW, the much storied carb'd 3.0 from Bruce Anderson's book, was a 914-6 with factory HE's. The factory HE's flow really well.
seanery
So, what are you using on builds now, Perry?
6freak
. The factory HE's flow really well.

I have the BB`s on my stock 2.0 with heat ...they suck for heat(low air flow) and they where a real bitch to attach! ...i put them on for the bigger I.D with Triad muffler that had to be custom fit by Dave ,,the flange on the BB is not square with the back of the car they are angled in to each other ...this complete system will most likely be for sale soon .. 90 % sure im go n back to stock
smile.gif
sean_v8_914
who has cheap six headers?
Steve
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 26 2012, 07:23 AM) *

who has cheap six headers?

If we are talking new its pretty much Martin Schneider or Bursch.
IronHillRestorations
I haven't done any 6 conversions in a few years Sean, been wrapped up with other stuff.
SLITS
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 23 2012, 08:57 AM) *

what is the going price for original 914/6 heat exch that are in usable condition?

Depends upon what you consider useable .... I've bought them from $400 to $700, but each had it's own problems .... mainly repair of the clam shell surrounding the pipes. 18 gauge, ball peen hammer and a welder .................

Now, if I could just find a decent passenger side .. I would have 3 sets ... smash.gif
SirAndy
Get a set of headers and make your own heater boxes. smash.gif

Whatever you do, do NOT weld the boxes to the headers ...
shades.gif
JawjaPorsche
Here are some "cheap" ones on Ebay! Yikes!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-6-Heat...=item3a7600ab1a
pete-stevers
it is too darn bad there is no one to tackle the job of building some hes that work, or a reproduction of orig...and do a decent job of it
what does a nos set of hes go for these days...iffin they can be had
6freak

Whatever you do, do NOT weld the boxes to the headers ...
shades.gif

why Andy? ...I thought that might help with the heating issue`s ,There`s hugh gaps .250 in place`s and i kinda wanted to try close n the gap`s to see if it would help

smile.gif CO.2 in the cab from burn through maybe?
jmill
Crack kills. Welding opens up the potential for cracks .
SirAndy
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 27 2012, 01:51 PM) *
why Andy? CO.2 in the cab from burn through maybe?

You die only once ...
chowtime.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 27 2012, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 27 2012, 01:51 PM) *
why Andy? CO.2 in the cab from burn through maybe?

You die only once ...
chowtime.gif

Not according to Bond, James Bond! ar15.gif
patssle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 23 2012, 05:04 AM) *

Use these:

IPB Image

I've seen these mentioned several times (on Pelican too) - but nobody with actual results posted.

I have an idea of building a A/C system that has swappable hoses - take the air off the condenser in the winter and the evaporator coils in the summer. Just an idea for now.
6freak
QUOTE(jmill @ Jun 27 2012, 02:30 PM) *

Crack kills. Welding opens up the potential for cracks .

thats what i figured...
smile.gif
a914622
So does anyone know of a shop that would or does mandrel bend the pipes? A make your own option is cool, but i wouldnt want to do it from a box of U bends.

I called MSDS to see if i could buy just the bent pipe and build my own for the svx swap. I got the "never going to happen" story. told me to call jegs and get a box of U pipe.

jcl
horizontally-opposed
I'm sure I'll get a av-943.gif for this, but John over at SSI apparently did all the work to put them into production but never did.

I wonder if a big enough group buy would get him there. unsure.gif It's a big if...

I'll be in the market soon, and frankly don't love any of the choices.

pete
seanery
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 28 2012, 06:02 PM) *

I'm sure I'll get a av-943.gif for this, but John over at SSI apparently did all the work to put them into production but never did.

I wonder if a big enough group buy would get him there. unsure.gif It's a big if...

pete

Pete,
I'd be VERY interested in some SSIs!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 28 2012, 04:02 PM) *

Knowing John, i give this a 0.5% chance ...
sad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 28 2012, 06:02 PM) *

pete

That will never happen. The owner of SSI said he would never make another part for a 914 after the Voldermort of the 914 community screwed him over.

6freak
QUOTE(patssle @ Jun 27 2012, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 23 2012, 05:04 AM) *

Use these:

IPB Image

I've seen these mentioned several times (on Pelican too) - but nobody with actual results posted.

I have an idea of building a A/C system that has swappable hoses - take the air off the condenser in the winter and the evaporator coils in the summer. Just an idea for now.

if i only had 12" of strait pipe i might try these...prolly spendy to! because its for an airplane....just looked they have a 6.5 inch for 126.95....253.90 for a pair ....much cheaper then i expected ....im gonna be do n some measureing to nite for sure
smile.gif
smj
I've definitely got enough straight pipe in one header on either side for the 6.5", not sure about the 9". But the photo for the 6.5" shows the inlet and outlet ports are not in-plane the way they are for the 9" version shown in this thread. Have to get further under the car with a tape measure tomorrow...

Also, the site may be a little screwy, but it's giving me the same $126.95 price for either size/version.
DEC
The SSI's for the -4 are now available again.

Mittelmotor, Stoeckl and other German vendors have them

SSI_Mittelmotor

So I hope it is possible to get the SSI's for the -6 in the future.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.