Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A little Weber Story...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
Decided to remove my left side Weber and clean it up. It had alot of road grime on it since I don't run much engine sheetmetal. I also changed out my tall 4" "CB Race Stacks" to shorter stacks. Per Jake the tall ones cost you HP.

I take the carb off and shoot about a 1/3 of a can of carb cleaner on it.

Put it back on, connected the linkage and fuel line. But I decided to leave off the air filter for now, just to make sure everythings OK. (good thing I did)

I flip on the fuel pump, I hear the bowl filling up and the fuel flowing, but wait the gas is flowing like a toilet in the carb! Its now overflowing the top and filling the base plate of the air filter!!! sad.gif sad.gif

I flip off the pump and grab a rag. F***inggas is running down the manifold, dripping on the ground. Good thing I didn't turn it over to try to start it. And good thing I didn't put that air filter on or I would have never seen it. Luckily I'm able to start the car by reaching the starter button with a stick and I'm able stand above the engine see it.

I removed the carb and completely tore it down. Found a small rock(!!!) in the bowl and crap in all the jets. Cleaned it up, bolted it in, and fired it up.

Maybe the float was hung up on the rock?? confused24.gif Don't know for sure but I fixed it and it runs. Ready for the autox on Sunday driving.gif

Paul
machina
Those types of stories make me really look forward to dealing with my webers. (not)

You saved the day but I probably would have a 914 hibachi.

Maybe I'll wear my nomex when I crank her up.
Root_Werks
A rock eh? ohmy.gif I am going through a set of carbs right now for my 914. I found someone plugged one of the main jet holes up with a regular bolt! mad.gif Also found a tree needle jammed in one of the accelerator pumps. Got most every back together now. Should run better now. wink.gif
bernbomb914
It sounds like you should clean the other carb also as it could have unwanted junk in it also

Bernie
URY914
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Oct 19 2004, 10:24 AM)
It sounds like you should clean the other carb also as it could have unwanted junk in it also

Bernie

For some reason the left car was covered with grime but the right one was very clean.
I think I was getting a film of oil on the left one and all the dirt and dust was sticking to it. Oil was maybe blowing out of the valve cover or the breather.

I'll just take the top off the right one and get the big pieces out of the bowl ohmy.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.