Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 conversion Oil line routing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bcheney
My six conversion has the Rich Johnson built bulkhead engine mount so I cannot use a OEM 6 hard oil line as the bulkhead mount interferes with routing. So, I have new flexible lines that I acquired years ago. I am trying to figure out the best routing. The flexible return line p/n 90110733112 (65-71 911 Engine to Oil Tank Line) from the motor isn't long enough to reach the oil tank. So, I have an OEM short line from the tank with a male-male union and then the return line attaches to that. The issue is routing. I don't like the look of the routing in the first picture as the slack is to the right of the bulkhead. The better way seems to be in the second pic and everythings snugs up nicer (I would have to have the long return line shortened and then mate it to the short line coming out of the tank.) I would like some feedback from all of you guys on how to address and fix this. I am a little concerned about the routing up and around the bulkhead mount as you can see that it is pretty busy up there.
SirAndy
Here's what i did:

IPB Image

IPB Image

So far, it's held up for 5 years.
driving.gif
pcar916
I wouldn't worry as much about your firewall routing as the heat damage from the exhausts that will be produced in your rubber lines. That's why most of those are hard lines into the sump pickup that run forward ending in whatever fitting you need.

Mine terminates in a -12AN male since the lines to the cooler in the front of the car are all in that size. But weld on whatever you need, like in your case, metric stuff.

When (not if) the rubber degrades internally you won't even see it and you'll be getting rubber particulates in your line, tank filter.

To your point though, just route the hardline to avoid the mount and terminate it elsewhere.

Below are two pix, one of the entire line and the second of the -12AN end to it.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
bcheney
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2012, 03:56 PM) *

Here's what i did:

So far, it's held up for 5 years.
driving.gif

Any other thoughts guys?
ClayPerrine
It's really hard to see in these pictures....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

But a factory /6 hardline will work with a Rich Johnson mount. It just takes some slight adjustment of the line to clear the mount.

bcheney
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 24 2012, 10:02 AM) *

But a factory /6 hardline will work with a Rich Johnson mount. It just takes some slight adjustment of the line to clear the mount.

Wow...I am excited to get under there and try to adjust the factory 6 hardline! Clay. Can you explain the adjustment a little more or pm me your cell # so we can speak. Thanks so much....I really want the factory mount to workout.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jun 24 2012, 10:41 AM) *

Wow...I am excited to get under there and try to adjust the factory 6 hardline! Clay. Can you explain the adjustment a little more or pm me your cell # so we can speak. Thanks so much....I really want the factory mount to workout.

It has been a few years, but I remember I had to tweak it forward a little bit. I also remember that I had to tie it down with the little hole in the bottom of the RJ mount. I can't remember any more than that.

When I can get under it better, I will take some more pictures.

bcheney
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 24 2012, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(bcheney @ Jun 24 2012, 10:41 AM) *

It has been a few years, but I remember I had to tweak it forward a little bit. I also remember that I had to tie it down with the little hole in the bottom of the RJ mount. I can't remember any more than that.

When I can get under it better, I will take some more pictures.

OK I look forward to the pics. When you say tweek...What did you use to bend the pipe?
naro914
I'll get pics of what I've done with both Papa and Huey.
do you run an oil cooler up front?
I run my SS lines up through the ducts in the rockers (look at Andy's, that open hole to the right of his lines). they follow the duct and run into the cockpit area, up under the dash, and through this channel that runs under the gas tank into the front trunk area.

I konw this is hard to understand without pictures, i'll see if I can take some. But if you don't have an oil cooler up front, none of this means anything....
bcheney
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 24 2012, 10:19 PM) *

I'll get pics of what I've done with both Papa and Huey.
do you run an oil cooler up front?
I run my SS lines up through the ducts in the rockers (look at Andy's, that open hole to the right of his lines). they follow the duct and run into the cockpit area, up under the dash, and through this channel that runs under the gas tank into the front trunk area.

I konw this is hard to understand without pictures, i'll see if I can take some. But if you don't have an oil cooler up front, none of this means anything....

I don't have a cooler upfront. The motor is a 2.2 with e cams and cards so no need to run the cooler...at least initially.
naro914
OK, here's a few that might show you something....

I don't have pics from the engine area, but you get the picture: out of the engine, into the duct.

Look at the first picture, down in the corners, you can see the SS braided lines come out of the rocker, and into a hole that was cut into the foot wall that lines up right into a duct that goes out in the front trunk, as seen in the second picture.

I ran it a little different in Huey, but the same idea...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
naro914
QUOTE(bcheney @ Jun 24 2012, 10:23 PM) *

..... so no need to run the cooler...at least initially.

don't bet on it...

If you're in Orlando, you really should have a cooler of some sort. Even with the cooler, my 2.2 liter would get really hot in the summer unless we were moving fast on the highway...traffic, around town, slow driving would run the temp way up.
bcheney
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jun 24 2012, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(bcheney @ Jun 24 2012, 10:23 PM) *

..... so no need to run the cooler...at least initially.

don't bet on it...

If you're in Orlando, you really should have a cooler of some sort. Even with the cooler, my 2.2 liter would get really hot in the summer unless we were moving fast on the highway...traffic, around town, slow driving would run the temp way up.

What sort of temps did you see? Thanks for the feedback and pics. I attended the Porsche Parade in Charlotte a few years back with my 89 911 Targa and remember seeing your car on display. I love that car!
IronHillRestorations
I don't like that rubber line next to the exhaust, it's going to be a problem. You need to source a hard line and modify it as shown in some of the pics. The only way you can get around not using a hard line is to have a much longer rubber line and route it towards the back of the car and then along side the engine, then to the tank or thermostat.
Scott S
I just finished doing this. I had heard from a few different folks that a softline from the case could be a problem over time. I bought the modified/short hardline from Patrick Motorsports. I did not hook up my front cooler yet, as I simply wanted to get the thing up and running first. The PM hard line ends in a -12AN. I went fromt he PM hard line to a 45 then ran they heavy duty Aeroquip hose from there to the factory tank (this required an AN adapter). The hose goes under both the Rich Johnson mount and the shift linkage cover. I used two adle clamps on the bottom edge of the firewall to hold it up as high as possible. It *may* have a 1/4" exposed below the firewall edge. However, it has some give, so if I should hit it, it has some room to be forced up by an impact. The headers hang down further, so if I hit this line, I will have bigger damage to worry about....
bcheney
QUOTE(Scott S @ Jun 25 2012, 11:19 AM) *

I just finished doing this. I had heard from a few different folks that a softline from the case could be a problem over time. I bought the modified/short hardline from Patrick Motorsports. I did not hook up my front cooler yet, as I simply wanted to get the thing up and running first. The PM hard line ends in a -12AN. I went fromt he PM hard line to a 45 then ran they heavy duty Aeroquip hose from there to the factory tank (this required an AN adapter). The hose goes under both the Rich Johnson mount and the shift linkage cover. I used two adle clamps on the bottom edge of the firewall to hold it up as high as possible. It *may* have a 1/4" exposed below the firewall edge. However, it has some give, so if I should hit it, it has some room to be forced up by an impact. The headers hang down further, so if I hit this line, I will have bigger damage to worry about....

So you got everything you needed from Patrick...hard line, 45, aero hose, AN adapter? What was the total cost? Sounds like I will follow your lead. Let me know. Thanks,
Scott S
Patrick did have it all, but I only puchased the hard line from them. I went local for the fittings and hose. The adapter for the stock oil tank fitting I picked up from Pegasus.

As an FYI, timing is everything on that Patrick hard line. When I ordered mine they were out of stock. It took me close to 60 days to receive it. It does fit really nice however.

- Hard line was 138.00
- Aeroquip hose was 7.50 per foot (I bought 3 feet)
- Adapter for the tank was approx 39.00
- -12 straight fitting was 15.00
- -12 45 fitting was 28.00

So $245 in parts before taxes/frt

(oh that reminds me - Patrick got me for 20.00 in freight to Colorado.... seemed pretty steep)
SLITS
As a backyard, shade tree non-mechanic messer arounder .... I plumbed the oil cooler in this manner:

From the scavenge port on the engine, I used the stock 911 tube that hoops around the transmission. I cut it, braised a 3/4" industrial fitting to it. Used SS braid hose (industrial) up to a sandwich plate style cooler (11"X15" Long Tru Kool) mounted over the starter in my trunk**. Has a thermo controller fan on top.

Out of the cccoler with 3/4" industrial hose to a hard line (911 cut down and bent) along the drivers' side valve covers back to the tank. Porsches' hard lines are HARD to bend even with an industrial tube bender. My flexible lines are less than 2' in length.

Kept everything as much as possible away from the HEs.

No pics ... I'm lazy.

** PO of car had cut a large hole in rear trunk floor to get to the starter.
bcheney
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I contacted Patrick and Jim asked me to send some pics to him. He also said he has some hard lines coming in from his plater in a few days. It was last Monday when we talked. I sent the pics and description of my situation but havent heard anything back yet. There was a car on their website that had a RJ mount and a modified hard line set up. I really wish I cound use the original hard line. I got under the car and worked with that line and couldnt get it to the point of fitting Clay. If you have any other pics of your set up I would love to see them. If that doesnt work out I will go with ScottS's recommendation...short hard line from Patrick and get the other parts locally. Here is a shot of the car that is on the Patrick site.
mepstein
You can also buy a used 911 hard line, cut it to size and have the fitting welded on by someone local. RiqueMar made one for his car. I can measure the length on mine if you go that route. Should be a lot less than PMS.
bcheney
Here's what I ended up with...Patrick hardline, AN tank adaptor and aeroquip line. I don't like the look of the hanger off the case to secure the hardline...but, I can always change that. Overall it came out pretty nice.

RiqueMar
QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 4 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Here's what I ended up with...Patrick hardline, AN tank adaptor and aeroquip line. I don't like the look of the hanger off the case to secure the hardline...but, I can always change that. Overall it came out pretty nice.

Looks good! aktion035.gif

What kind of exhaust are you running? I only ask because that was my main concern when choosing the hard line option. If I remember correctly, with the Patrick hard line, you could not use HE's, but being in Orlando, that might not be a concern.
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Aug 4 2012, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(bcheney @ Aug 4 2012, 08:18 AM) *

Looks good! aktion035.gif

What kind of exhaust are you running? I only ask because that was my main concern when choosing the hard line option. If I remember correctly, with the Patrick hard line, you could not use HE's, but being in Orlando, that might not be a concern.

Enrique - Didn't you shorten a 911 line? Are you using HE on the 3.6?
bcheney

I believe my headers are Bursch. I will post some pics in a bit with them test fitted.
bcheney
Here a pic of the exhaust test fitted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.