Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door handle rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I am rebuilding my door handles.
The annoying plastic part that breaks.

WHAT is the orientation of the door handle spring when you go to put it back in?

I pulled the tarp off of my other 914 just to have a look only to find that the PO screwed that up too.... Those door handles don't work at all.

Pics looking into the door handle would be great, you dont even have to take the handle off to get the pic I need, just open the door and take a pic looking into the handle from the door jam angle.

Stu
rick 918-S
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=150235&hl=

Some info here smile.gif
stugray
Thanks!

That was one of the threads I was looking for.
It just doesnt have pic angle I need.
I need to see up in the bracket once you have put the two halves back together using a bolt in place of the rivet. Which way does the spring go?

Stu
rick 918-S
I think the rounded end of the spring goes against the handle with the ronded end facing the front of the car.
steuspeed
agree.gif Rick is right. I'm looking at one right now, and that's what I see.
stugray
I think the rounded end of the spring goes against the handle with the ronded end facing the front of the car.

Ok, I can believe that. So it would be in this orientation:

IPB Image

So next question: HOW IN THE HELL do you put it in?
I have tried for over an hour and cannot figure out how to get the spring in the correct orientation, install the handle, then put the bolt in place while holding the spring! WTF.gif 051103-stupid4.gif

I am guessing other than just struggling with it into a turretts induced stupor, I could grind down a cheap set of pliers and make a tool that is small enough to reach in there and hold the spring tension until you can slide in the bolt....

Any suggestions are welcome.

Stu
URY914
av-943.gif happy11.gif biggrin.gif stirthepot.gif shades.gif

After doing a few dozen of them I've kinda figured it out. It ain't easy for a first timer, but keep working it. Get it started than use a screwdriver to push the spring on to the pin. Kinda hard to discribe.
stugray
I FUCHin figured it out:

Once you understand which way the spring goes, you press it into the cavity:

IPB Image

Then the spring stays put until you put on the handle and the nylon washers.
Then with a tapered drift pin, you can reach through the hole and get the spring onto the pin.
Then you push the final pin (or bolt) through the hole.

Finished product:

IPB Image

piratenanner.gif

Thanks URY914. once you said it could be done without special tools, I just stared at it long enough to figure it out.

Stu
URY914
Next thing that crappy little mounting tab will break off and you'll be taking it a part to send to me. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.