Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on rusted floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
Long story short - I pulled the seats to get them recovered and this is what I found on the driver's side floor pan near the back firewall. I've never had to deal with this in other classic cars I have owned so I'm not sure what my options are. Is this where Restorartion Design comes in? What panel do you think will be needed to fix this?

This kind of repair is kind of outside the experience of most body shops in the Northern California Bay Area. Have any of you locals had good experience with someone who could do rust repairs?

hydroliftin
Here's one of the whole floor on that side.

sixnotfour
Well, by you CA guys own standards, Looks like a swazall party is in Order.
Call Der Slits smoke.gif

East coast Guys are laughing their bootyshake.gif off ass that is Not rust to them av-943.gif

patch it up welder.gif
carr914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 24 2012, 03:25 PM) *

East coast Guys are laughing their bootyshake.gif off ass that is Not rust to them av-943.gif

agree.gif
ldsgeek
Yeah, pretty much stop whining (j/k). That would almost pass the yearly inspection here in NH.
reharvey
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2012, 03:43 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif agree.gif

76-914
That's a drivers side "fart exhaust area". Leave it be. laugh.gif
Lennies914
yikes.gif Patch it up and drive the heck out of it!

Oh yea, and check your rear window glass for a leak.
smj
You may or may not be inclined to look at it as a learning opportunity. I know sooner or later that I'm gonna start welding, but that's me.

Most body shops probably want to do insurance repairs or resprays, not restoration work. I think you just need to find the right shop. I'm sure McMark at Original Customs (Sonoma, frequent contributor, http://www.originalcustoms.com/) could sort you out in no time. I'm certain there are shops in the South Bay that could do the job as well, I just don't know them offhand. I'd give Tom Amon at Mobile Works West a call (408-429-0545) for a referral - I don't think he does this himself, but he's been wrenching on Porsches for decades and is a straight-shooter, so I'm sure he'd point you towards a good shop closer to you, if you wanted.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 24 2012, 02:54 PM) *

You may or may not be inclined to look at it as a learning opportunity. I know sooner or later that I'm gonna start welding, but that's me.

Most body shops probably want to do insurance repairs or resprays, not restoration work. I think you just need to find the right shop. I'm sure McMark at Original Customs (Sonoma, frequent contributor, http://www.originalcustoms.com/) could sort you out in no time. I'm certain there are shops in the South Bay that could do the job as well, I just don't know them offhand. I'd give Tom Amon at Mobile Works West a call (408-429-0545) for a referral - I don't think he does this himself, but he's been wrenching on Porsches for decades and is a straight-shooter, so I'm sure he'd point you towards a good shop closer to you, if you wanted.

I know McMark but looking for someone closer to San Jose. I'll drop Tom a line and see where it takes me. Thanks....

SirAndy
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jun 24 2012, 03:59 PM) *
I know McMark but looking for someone closer to San Jose. I'll drop Tom a line and see where it takes me.

Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto is closer to you. Scott is a 914 guy and they do good work.
But they aren't on the cheap side of things ...

idea.gif
wingnut86
Actually, speaking as a representative of the "South-East" brethren, of the Type 47 Order of Iron Gentry...

Kwit-Cher Belly-Ackin and run one of those rain spittoons like hangs ov'r the motur gutter out thet hole so you can spit yor toebacky joose out whilst enjoyin thuh Twistees!

sheeplove.gif

happy11.gif

hydroliftin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2012, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jun 24 2012, 03:59 PM) *
I know McMark but looking for someone closer to San Jose. I'll drop Tom a line and see where it takes me.

Yeaman Auto Body in Palo Alto is closer to you. Scott is a 914 guy and they do good work.
But they aren't on the cheap side of things ...

idea.gif

Yes they do nice work. It is the cost that concerns me.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(smj @ Jun 24 2012, 02:54 PM) *

... I'd give Tom Amon at Mobile Works West a call (408-429-0545) for a referral - I don't think he does this himself, but he's been wrenching on Porsches for decades and is a straight-shooter, so I'm sure he'd point you towards a good shop closer to you, if you wanted.

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Tom and he recommended Bodystyle on E Brokaw in San Jose. I ended up taking my car there for the repairs and Cecil did a great job at a fair price. The shop is close to where I work, so it was pretty convienient too. Cecil has been in the same location for 30+ years and knows Porsches. There were a couple of 911s and 356s in various states of rebirth. Here is a link..
http://www.bodystylebycecil.com/
wndsnd
Rust? I'll show ya rust! HA HA HA HA HA lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Aug 5 2012, 02:48 PM) *

Rust? I'll show ya rust! HA HA HA HA HA lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

I hope you got the VIN off that thing before it was scrapped. lol-2.gif
flippa
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:43 PM) *

agree.gif

That ain't rust! dry.gif Silly Californians.

Now this is rust; East Coast rust.

Click to view attachment
RON S.
QUOTE(flippa @ Aug 6 2012, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2012, 12:43 PM) *

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

I'll second that pic...

I looks like you stole a pic of my car circa 1998 sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Oh so many years ago...
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(flippa @ Aug 6 2012, 02:34 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Oh my gawd!!!!! barf.gif

I've had better cars crushed!!
wingnut86
...tsk, tsk, but a flesh wound...
worn
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Jun 24 2012, 11:17 AM) *

Long story short - I pulled the seats to get them recovered and this is what I found on the driver's side floor pan near the back firewall. I've never had to deal with this in other classic cars I have owned so I'm not sure what my options are. Is this where Restorartion Design comes in? What panel do you think will be needed to fix this?

This kind of repair is kind of outside the experience of most body shops in the Northern California Bay Area. Have any of you locals had good experience with someone who could do rust repairs?

At the risk of actually helping you, when you do find a shop be certain to tell them that replacement panel sections for the floor are available. Else, they might decide to spend hours of shop time fabricating. They may be welding artists with true genius and still not know about a foreign car pushing 40. I notice you can buy the panels from one of our sponsors north of the US border. I know I like them.

Sorry about the rust - and don't listen to the guys telling you not to whine. Complain and blame to your hearts content.
McMark
agree.gif You're paying for peace-of-mind with that repair, not necessity. As long as the rear window isn't leaking, it'll probably stay just like that for another 10 years.
boogie_man
I agree with McMark on piece of mind, and yours is minor enough to clean out
that nasty and kitty-hair it up and undercoat it right you'd be back in business.
I have to change my left rear floor pan which is not a walk in the park as you
need to remove it very cleanly, transfer or change out the seat mount brackets
& parts as well as cut the holes for the plugs and caulk them nicely, etch, sound
deadening pads & jamb. If you can keep it dry, you can patch that floor all
day long. GOOD LUCK !!!!!!

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.