Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car died.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
I was driving down the road at about 25mph when the car died. I pulled to the side of the road and tried to restart it. It cranks but won't start. I checked all the fuses/hoses etc. I'm wondering could it be the fuel pump? It's a 1975 1.8. I'm stuck at work for the next two days but I thought maybe you guys could give me some troubleshooting tips to try when I get home. Thanks!
Cambo
QUOTE(Cambo @ Jun 24 2012, 03:13 PM) *

I was driving down the road at about 25mph when the car died. I pulled to the side of the road and tried to restart it. It cranks but won't start. I checked all the fuses/hoses etc. I'm wondering could it be the fuel pump? It's a 1975 1.8. I'm stuck at work for the next two days but I thought maybe you guys could give me some troubleshooting tips to try when I get home. Thanks!

Still has F.I. too.
obscurity
Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn it on? My first check is usually to make sure there is spark. and then see if you are getting fuel out of the injectors.

John
Lennies914
Listen for the fuel pump. If you hear it move on to spark. Are you still running points? This happened to me a couple of years ago. The little tit on the points that causes them to open and close broke off. Check the easy stuff first. Good luck.
Cambo
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jun 24 2012, 03:20 PM) *

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn it on? My first check is usually to make sure there is spark. and then see if you are getting fuel out of the injectors.

John

No, I didn't hear the fuel pump with the key on. Should you hear it on a 75?
Lennies914
QUOTE(Cambo @ Jun 24 2012, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(obscurity @ Jun 24 2012, 03:20 PM) *

John

Yes, only for a couple of seconds, each time you turn the key on.
dlee6204

John

Yes, only for a couple of seconds, each time you turn the key on.

NO. With L-Jet, you won't hear the pump when you turn the key. With D-jet you hear the pump prime a few seconds

dlee6204
One way to test the pump on L-Jet.... There is a little flap inside the Air Flow Meter. With the key on, move this flap. You should hear the pump run.
Cambo
So, to activate the flap I popped the black lid on the air fow meter and rotated the dail. I did this with the key on and no sound from the fuel pump. Does this mean my pump has gone bad?
TheCabinetmaker
The pump is located under the tank in the front trunk. easy to pull pump and check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.