Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attaching fiberglass bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyecolor
I don't see many 914's in Delaware and I am attaching fiberglass bumpers to the front and rear. The fit needs some cutting and it would be easier to simply glass and bondo the junction to the car. I do worry about it cracking over time.

What about a rubber gasket to hide some of the rough edges of my attempt to fit them on. It would also make it much easier to prep and finish the bumpers off the car.

Any thoughts that don't require sending to a body shop?

Thanks

George
okieflyr
I'm in the neighborhood off of rt92. Do you have mounting brackets?
The glass bumpers are always in need of work to fit right. Are they 914 or 916 style?
eyecolor
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Jun 24 2012, 06:54 PM) *

I'm in the neighborhood off of rt92. Do you have mounting brackets?
The glass bumpers are always in need of work to fit right. Are they 914 or 916 style?

Hey

They are 914-4 and I have them Temporarily attached with the mounting brackets.

Let me know your thoughts
NORD

Mine are attached the way the stock would attach, I do remove and

repaint about every other year. Also hit a cat once and had to do

some fiberglass repair on the center oil cooler cut out. driving.gif
Scott S
Mine were blended into the body by the previous owner. I cant stand it. (see pic)

The even more frustrating part is that many years ago I took the car in to have the nose touched up (some rock chips). I was anal and took the car apart to make sure nothing was over-sprayed. The painter was not happy with the color match, so he painted the rest of the car at no charge - without telling me. If he had told me prior, I would have gone at the bumpers with a hammer.

I have very little cracking - some very small hairlines. But my car only has had 10k miles put on it since 1996.

If you like the look, that is one thing. But if you are trying to save effort, I would be concernd that you may find yourself at body shop down the road.

I would personally spend time shaping/fitting the bumper.
mepstein
QUOTE(eyecolor @ Jun 24 2012, 10:43 PM) *

I don't see many 914's in Delaware and I am attaching fiberglass bumpers to the front and rear. The fit needs some cutting and it would be easier to simply glass and bondo the junction to the car. I do worry about it cracking over time.

What about a rubber gasket to hide some of the rough edges of my attempt to fit them on. It would also make it much easier to prep and finish the bumpers off the car.

Any thoughts that don't require sending to a body shop?

Thanks

George

Can't help you with the bodywork but there are quite a few 914's in Delaware. Where in Wilmington are you? Mark

PS - Don't glass the bumpers directly to the car.
type47
biggrin.gif I knew I wrote this thread for a reason

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=fiberglass

TomR
Hey just saying hi; I'm in Middletown Delaware. I've got a '73 914. Would love to see your car when your done. I've been thinking of putting glass bumpers on mine, & have waffled back & forth on wether to blend bumpers in or not. Also where did you buy them?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.