Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Engman trunk release kit or a new Solenoid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
shelby/914
I'm in the process of reassembling the car after paint (2 yrs ago) and it seems that the solenoid no longer will trip the latch. Would like the Engman kit but they are out of production. Let me know what you have. Will eventually need to close the trunk.

Dan
quadracerx
Sure wish the Engman kit was available too....
unkel914
I may have a solenoid. I have an Engman kit, But I have spoiler on my truck and due the weight it would not pop. It took two people to open the trunk. One to press the button another to pull up on the trunk. So, I converted it to a mechanical release that I can pull under the back valance. I believe I saved the solenoid. I will look this weekend and let you know. If I have it, I will sell it to you cheap. Talk to you monday.
quadracerx
Anyone know why Engman doesnt make the Release Kit anymore...I mean....lack of cables, bracket too hard to make?

speed metal army
Hijackery!! I too want the Engman kit... Hint hint...
shelby/914
Sent an email to Engman about the kit , but no reply yet. Last I saw was that he was concerned about the quality of the cables available to use in the kit.
quadracerx
McMaster Carr and Morse custom make cables for anything...
unkel914
I do have a good used solenoid. Because I converted my solenoid operated release into a mechanical one. I used an old piece of emergeny brake flexiable tubing. Some steel wire i bought at lowes and a small piece of plate metal. I welded the tubing to the hole i cut in the plate metal. After I removed the solenoid I drilled two hole in the solenoid bracet and two matching hole in the plate metal with the tubing welded to it. I used long rivets, with I spaced with washer, to rivet the plate to the solenoid bracket. I had to spacers so the lever that pops the trunk had enough travel to work properly. I drilled a hole in the trunk just below the trunk release and treaded the steel tubing throught the hole in the trunk and since emergency brack cable tubing is flexable around the heat shield for the muffler. I bolted the assemble the the trunk release mount and cut the tubing off just below the heat shield, so it would not be visable from the back of the car. I treaded the sheel wire I bought at Lowes though the metal tubing, ran it though the hole in the trunk release lever that the solenoid use to occupy. Lowes also sales little connectors, so one can make loops with the wire. I made one loop through the level in truck release and one through the little handle I made to pop the trunk. All I have to do to open the trunk is to reach down under the body work just underneath the trunk, grab my little handle, and pop the trunk. Home made Engman kit. Since I have a wing on my trunk lid, it weighs too much for the trunk to pop. But, with the release right at the back under the trunk, one hand on the trunk lid, one on the release and opening the trunk is a snap. So, you can make your own Engman kit or buy may solenoid, which I will sale you cheap. If you want it let me know.
Engman
I think I may have found a cable. The McMaster and other available cables do not have sufficient bend radius for the cable to live. I used to have a job that allowed me acess to some OEM cables that were really good. Unfortunately I no longer work there and the vendor will not sell to individuals unless you spend over 10K a year with them.

I have bought so far 5 cables from different sources - none of these would live in the installation.

I found one other vendor and will inquire with them. I will let you know if I can find a good cable for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Mark
shelby/914
Thanks, hope the new source works out. Looks like there is considerable demand for a good product.

Dan
speed metal army
QUOTE(Engman @ Jul 1 2012, 10:05 AM) *

I think I may have found a cable. The McMaster and other available cables do not have sufficient bend radius for the cable to live. I used to have a job that allowed me acess to some OEM cables that were really good. Unfortunately I no longer work there and the vendor will not sell to individuals unless you spend over 10K a year with them.

I have bought so far 5 cables from different sources - none of these would live in the installation.

I found one other vendor and will inquire with them. I will let you know if I can find a good cable for a reasonable price.

Thanks

Mark

beerchug.gif Heres hoping!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.