Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Gents,
I'm in the process of trying to source a windshield and the things needed to do a proper replacement. Have a question on what seals and stuff need to be replaced (if any). I have the chrome trim removed, but have not removed the old windshield yet.

Is there anything additional that needs to be replaced once I get the old windshield out or can I leave everything else intact?

Thanks!

Anyone got a line on a decent used windshield smile.gif
Mikey914
The windshields are commercially available at about $140-$180. Used is a hit and miss. They often break when removing.
stateofidleness
140-180??? all the local places ive gotten quotes for are around 800!

where are you finding them for that price??
porschefile2010
If your existing widnshield is ok you should be able to get it out if you are careful. It's a two man job. I did it a month or so ago mostly on my own with minor damage which I should have avoided but can probably still re fit the old screen with two small cracks to be repaired.

You need a length if fine twisted wire which a panel shop should be able to give you and you need to fit a hand grip on one end. The wire is specially spec'd up for the job and is very effective.

Drill a very fine hole through the sealant by hand, using a small drill bit and feed the wire through and fit a handle on the other end and with one person inside and the other outside just drag the wire around the sealant. It shouldn't take much effort. If it does, back off as the wire may have caught on the plastic spacers fitted into the window surround. Just work gently over these making sure you keep the wire as flush with the screen as possible. Be careful the wire doesn't cut into the edges of the screen.
Once you have gone right round it will lift off. Be careful the windscreen doesn't drop or slide as it is reasonably heavy. Leaving the last bit to cut through at the top might help.

This is a bit basic and there will be others here with a more sophisticated way of doing it, but it worked for me. Good luck.
nathansnathan
There's a kit at AA that's got the butyl strip and the 19 plastic clips to do it the original stock way
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Front-W...-PN-BAA541.html
rhodyguy
remove the interior trim at the front window and the upper and lower interior windshield seals. you can roll the car out into the sun with the chrome trim off and wait it will soften the sealant. sawing with the wire works fairly well but the corners tend to be the problem points. its hard not to lift up with the wire then you get the crack. you need to keep the ws suspended away from the the sealant you've cut through or it can settle back into the goo. take your time, rushing the task is usually a disaster.

k
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Jun 26 2012, 04:34 AM) *

If your existing widnshield is ok you should be able to get it out if you are careful. It's a two man job. I did it a month or so ago mostly on my own with minor damage which I should have avoided but can probably still re fit the old screen with two small cracks to be repaired.

You need a length if fine twisted wire which a panel shop should be able to give you and you need to fit a hand grip on one end. The wire is specially spec'd up for the job and is very effective.

Drill a very fine hole through the sealant by hand, using a small drill bit and feed the wire through and fit a handle on the other end and with one person inside and the other outside just drag the wire around the sealant. It shouldn't take much effort. If it does, back off as the wire may have caught on the plastic spacers fitted into the window surround. Just work gently over these making sure you keep the wire as flush with the screen as possible. Be careful the wire doesn't cut into the edges of the screen.
Once you have gone right round it will lift off. Be careful the windscreen doesn't drop or slide as it is reasonably heavy. Leaving the last bit to cut through at the top might help.

This is a bit basic and there will be others here with a more sophisticated way of doing it, but it worked for me. Good luck.

agree.gif

I would add that you should remove the trim from the interior as the wire will cut it. I usually leave the cowl area alone because it is hard to get at. Assuming you are replacing the windshield, Who cares if it breaks. Get the AA windshield install kit. It has the butyl and the clips. It also has the rear view mirror adhesive pad. When removing the chrome trim, use a single edge blade and drive it between the trim and the body to cut through the plastic trim clips. This will save on bending the trim. You will want to replace the clips anyway. Ask several glass dealers about price. Tell them you want to do your own installation. Makes a big difference. Get help installing. One guy can do it but two people can do it easier.
stateofidleness
Ahh. Yea my current one is "shattered" in place so to speak... Dad dropped a bed fram rail on it smile.gif

Not too concerned with breaking it at this point because it's already very broken. Since I'm not worried about the "breaking" part, is it still advised to use the wire around the perimeter method to remove it or just pushing on it from the inside? I'm more concerned with it "collapsing" and glass getting everywhere in the inside dash area.

I'll have to call around some more I suppose.
jimkelly
here are where clips should be
JawjaPorsche
I had my windshield man replaced my windshield this week for less $300. He said he got the windshield from a wholesaler in Memphis:

http://www.yellowpages.com/memphis-tn/mip/...225?lid=1547225

Ask your windshield man to contact them.

QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 26 2012, 02:04 AM) *

140-180??? all the local places ive gotten quotes for are around 800!

where are you finding them for that price??
Drums66
....I reiterate:..".rushing the task is usually a DISASTER!!" idea.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.