Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autoweek, new VW/914/Boxster clone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Newsweek

four banger, blown banger and a sixer...
Joe Bob
Le pic....
MattR
smilie_pokal.gif

I hope it doesnt suck.
bob91403
Styling looks nicer than the boxster. Needs to be a targa. Too much wind in convertables. Rag tops suck.
anthony
I don't like the nose styling. A targa top would be nice.
Cap'n Krusty
Big fuss about it a year ago when they first showed it at Frankfurt. Enough power to get you by, nice looking, relatively inexpensive. The Cap'n
Mueller
not that i want a car payment, but I bet the sucker runs and comes with a warrenty smile.gif

it looks "okay"...the most important thing is "how does it drive????"
morgan
all new cars look the same. dam puters
TonyAKAVW
Well, if anything it will be a source for useful transmissions and drivetrains for 914s at some point...

I wouldn't mind having a paddle shifter in my 914 driving-girl.gif

-Tony
vortrex
looks like a toyota.
serge914
Definitely look too Japanese to me. The front is from the Acura RSX.
michel richard
QUOTE(morgan @ Oct 19 2004, 04:10 PM)
all new cars look the same. dam puters

agree.gif

Computers are'nt very heavy, but they and their associated stuff don't lighten a car !

Maybe they'll make a barebone Elise killer.

Michel Richard
fiid
I think the Elise looks different from the norm, and I think it looks both stylistically and mechanically better than this.

Someone does need to build and Elise-killer - and I don't think this is it.

I need to go and work on my car before I think about Elises (which run) too much.
anthony
The original targa concept car was awesome looking. This shows no resemblance other than the engine layout.
ThinAir
The market has needed this car ever since the 914 went out of production. Since Porsche has not had the sense to build it, I'm glad that VW will. I'm starting to save my pennies. By late 2007 I should be in a position to buy.
bob91403
QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 19 2004, 09:34 PM)
The original targa concept car was awesome looking. This shows no resemblance other than the engine layout.

They should have stuck with the targa. Any pictures? Concept T looks like more fun.
skline
I like it, I would buy it, and you would too given the chance. Just because it is a VW and by the description, it is a new 914.
anthony
I remember pictures posted on the Pelican 914 forum. Maybe someone here saved them to their hard drive?? I searched on Pelican but couldn't find them again. Their search tool is brain dead and you can't search for "VW" in the topic title because it's not three characters long.
MattR
I would say the boxster is the new 914.

The design is kind of a mix of a bunch of different ethnicities. There is some german in there, like the rear fenders. The interior looks very american hot rod (but i guess most concept cars do), and the front end look japanese.

Too bad VW cant make a car that has style sad.gif. The low cost is nice, and its a one of a kind thing. But I wish we had some real designers making the world's cars.
ninefourteener
I don't like it. It kinda looks like the Audi.

I agree..... the Boxter is the new 914.
ematulac
The styling is questionable, but the same was probably said of the 914 when it was released.

If the V-6 starts costing as much as an older Boxster, or even a new one, I think 'd rather get the Boxster.

But it's still good news. mueba.gif
anthony
If the V-6 starts costing as much as an older Boxster, or even a new one, I think 'd rather get the Boxster.

Why? Just to have the Porsche badge? I mean, we don't even know how this car rides and handles yet.

My guess is that this will be a $20-30K car. The VW R32 with all wheel drive is only $30K. If it is much more expensive then it's competing with the Audi Quattro.
serge914
QUOTE(ematulac @ Oct 20 2004, 11:40 AM)
The styling is questionable, but the same was probably said of the 914 when it was released.

The 914 was different fron anything else on the market when it came out.
That new VW look like a cross over from others existings cars. An Audi TT with a Japanese front end and some Boxters rear fendres.

I agree that all the designers seem to use the same CAD programs and should relearn to use a pencil and some paper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.