Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear targa latch adjustment...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
the rear passenger side latch is a bit loose. it doesn't pull the top down firmly enough to set the seal. drivers side is the same but not as loose. just got done looking through haynes and they only talk about adjusting the front. any suggestions on firming up the back latches? since it never seems to stop raining here, i gotta seal the little money pit up and drive in the wet or just stare at it in the garage.

thanks....... driving.gif
airsix
Replace the worn out seal. wink.gif

-Ben M.
Aaron Cox
but that is too ezpensive!
scottb
shoulda said the seal is new......

now what?
Aaron Cox
i have a bad rear seal. but my pass side rear targa latch doesnt pull down tight enough because the lil rubber block broke of the rear targa top (pass side). n e one have a rubber block to spare?
Brad Roberts
ScottB,

I have seen the actual lever arm get "expanded" and I have seen the targa top male piece get bent down. You may need some good used pieces.

I *think* the 2 10mm bolts behind the black targa pad allow the latch to be moved up and down a little.

You can also pull the allen screws out of the targa top latch piece and make sure somebody hasnt stuffed something between them.

My bet is on the latches being bent.

B
Lawrence
There are aftermarket seals out there... probably made my some of our listers.

-Rusty
Dave_Darling
As noted in the similar thread on the Pelican BBS, the most popular fix is to put something on either the pegs on the roof, or over the hooks on the latches. Electronics shrink tubing is one option, surgical tubing is another, and I'm sure other people have used other stuff as well.

--DD
scottb
thanks guys. appreciate the input. i will take a look and see if i need to scrounge some good used parts to firm things up.

i am a bit anal about the leaking thing, or maybe just paranoid about unseen rust. ferrous oxide BAD!!!!

in the interim, i will build up the latch like DD was saying. sounds like a good quick fix.

DD, that was me posting on pelican as well.
Brad Roberts
There is NO way shrink tubing will last more than 3-4 times of latching and unlatching. It may be a temp fix...

B
Part Pricer
I have plastic tubing like the kind that they use for aquarium air hoses on my roof pegs. It provides a nice tight seal and it has been there for years.
Brad Roberts
Do you have a pic ?? I normally have enough pieces laying around that I replace them.. I would however like to see a "option".

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.