Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Looking at the MDS 6 for my 2.0+. Is anyone running this? opinions? Thanks Barry
machina
Get the Mallory VI-AL.

You won't have to get different pills for the rev limiter. I think its next gen compared to the MSD.

Also, I think the Mallory doesn't require an adapter to run the tach.
72914S
The reason I asked is that I might get this unit in a trade. Just wanted to see if it was a good up grade. Thanks Barry
ArtechnikA
i wouldn't either...

my recommendation is the Crane HI-6.

i had two MSD-6's fail and leave me stranded. their current race stuff may be The Bomb but i think engineering on the 6 line ended more than 20 years ago and just isn't competitive. (or reliable any more...)

just MHO, but i won't run 'em in my car any more ...
Aaron Cox
but will it help my hot cammed 2.0????
Brett W
Yes it will help your 2.0 motor. Helps keep plugs from fouling at idle. Can't say I ever had a problem with my MSD 6A box. Never left me stranded, never ran an adapter for the tach. If they such why do the Winston CUp boys all run them?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 19 2004, 06:14 PM)
Never left me stranded...
If they such why do the Winston CUp boys all run them?

"yet" being the operative word :-) ...
Gwen had at least one fail in her car too...

as for NASCAR -- first, i can promise you they are NOT running the same MSD-6AL you can buy off the pegboard at your FLAPS. they are running at least MSD-7 or -8's, more likely products built just for those cars (because let's face it - not many people will ever run a V8 9400 rpm ...)

and they run TWO parallel systems, so that when the 'A' box fails, they can switch to the 'B' box.

and there's the matter of the contingency money and outright sponsorship, which means they get 'stuff' (parts...) and money for running the products and showing the sticker on the side of the car.

it's up to you what you run in your car. my opinion was solicited and i shared it. you've shared your opinion and you're entitled to it. i won't try to talk you out of it.
Joe Bob
I have the HI6 on three cars....including the 5.9 with a blower....
seanery
Petronix makes one as well.
Powerman
The MSD units that Nascar runs are special modified spec boxes done by a shop in Concord NC. They moved the two boxes up into the air near the windshield to reduce the temps. They still look like 6 series to me. I know the modified boxes are more reliable, my buddy has one in his FP car.

I got a Mallory Hyfire and a unilite for my FP car. For the reasons synthesisdv mentioned.

An electromotive may be in the future if I can fabricate a trigger assembly. (I asked Santa for a Bridgeport mill for Xmas)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 19 2004, 07:43 PM)
Petronix makes one as well.

pertronix makes a box?
seanery
yup, talked to the Petronix folks at the Tweeks meet.
Brett W
From all I have heard from other Production racers the Electromotive units have major problems with sensors randomly failing and pis poor customer service from the company. Now this is second hand info but I respect the opinion of these races.

I am going to try and adapt a Moroso Crank trigger from a SBC for my race motor. Maybe it will be better.
maf914
From what I have read, NASCAR make its competitors use an approved ancient MSD box without microproccessors to prevent them from programming in traction control. This way teams can't tamper with the box and NASCAR doesn't have to try to beat a good programmer.
Doug Leggins
I have a MSD 6AL, tach adapter and Pertronix on my 72 1.7. It makes a significant difference in the idle - much smoother idle than with points and no MSD. The car starts much easier with this set up than it does without. I also think that it is more responsive at low rpm.

When properly wired I have no issues with this set up and really like the improvements provided. Wire the pertronix incorrectly and it makes white smoke that smells horrible - wastes a few bucks too!
Jake Raby
Mallory all the way...

To hell with MSD, they are junk for adjustability and tuning a nice curve because they have a set rate for a V8 application.

I have tested a Mallory Vs a MSD on the dyno. The results should incriminate MSD for false advertising!

I have seen alot of guys praise the MSD saying it makes for smoother idle and better cold starts- it does but thats about it!

Mallory part# 4554101 ALL THE WAY! Every car I own has one except the 912 and its direct fire via EMS!
Root_Werks
What about a wasted spark system? They seem pretty simple to set up and effective. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.