Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project Over Ambitious
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
edwin
Hi guys.
It's about time I started a build thread for my first 914. I figure I must have bought it start of 2008. It showed up in a magazine here is Australia and just fitted into my uni students budget for a project car.
Of course it was described as a rust free California car but being on the other side of the country meant there was little chance of me getting to see it and still having enough to buy.
Took the sellers word that it was rust free and assumed it was rotten but complete. A week later it showed up at home much to the amussement of friends and family.
Click to view attachment
Turned out to be fairly rust free, most of it had fallen out on the truck and the other bits had been removed and patched wonderfully with cardboard and bog.
Quickly turned from a nice easy project to a full rotisserie restoration. The more I wirebrushed the more disheartening it became.
Click to view attachment
Rust was everywhere, Front trunk, floorpans, hell hole and suspension consoles.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
The right side long (what will end up as the drivers side here) was first on the list. It was opened and cut back as much as possible and seriously plated inside.
My dad and I made a simple press for remaking the floorpans which we got quite good at using in the end.
Click to view attachment
Eventualy my uni studies which where in another city took over as well as a shed upgrade and the project sat till now.
In the mean time another '72 turned up and i purchased this and have been able to drive this pretty often and now it is time to resume work on the original.
Sorry for the essay, hopefully the pics tell a few stories.
Cheers
Edwin
edwin
Enough of the history.
Dragged the old rotisserie across the shed so I could replace it with a new one.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bit of a sneek peek as to what the plans are.
Click to view attachment
Cheers again
Edwin
rwilner
looks like in your case, "rust free" means the rust is included at no additional charge!

Great project and good luck
carr914
biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Looks like you have the tools to do a great job on it.

Just keep on and you will get it done.

These have to be rare in Australia and really worth saving.

John
pt_700
wow, edwin! that's a very lucky car to have come into your stewardship!

my hat's off to you, i'd have run for the exit. in the end, you'll be able to drive something to be very proud of!

3d914
You're definitely braver than I am. I'd be running too.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
phillstek
Are you a glutton for punishment or what? welder.gif
JmuRiz
This looks like fun, wish I knew how to do that kind of work!
edwin
Time for another update.
I have been held up keeping the daily wheels on the road for a bit which has held up progress.
Finished the body mounts for the rotiserie and have the body pretty well balanced now.
I always knew there would be some work involved with straightening bits here and there so got a few measurements and looks as if the back is a little twisted.
The car has been in an acident at some stage and the right rear quarter has been replaced so i am thinking that some of the twist is left over from that but also being on the rotiserie for years probably hasnt helped.
Door gaps suprisingly havent moved in that time.
Would be interested to hear some ideas from those in the know as to how they would recomend tackling this fix before i dive in. Was going to drill the quarter off but might wait a bit.
My other problem is that i dont have floorpans in the car and the longs still need to be sealed up so fixturing will be interesting but dont want to weld in panels that could make the job harder.
Always keen to hear ideas.
Cheers
Edwin
cary
Do you have door braces set up and installed to keep the car square?
edwin
I havent got door braces in there.
Should have mentioned that all the twist is rear of the engine bay with most focused at the top of the wheel arch which is where i took the photo with andy's camera.
Seems to be the type of damage consistant with a rear hit.
edwin
No progress but some more fun bits arrived from Summit.
Tilton pedals for the switch to RHD. Worked out the same price as buying a rhd porsche set and the engineer was a little picky about pedals passing tests.
Big bonus is that they are about 140mm shorter than the factory set which means I dont have to move the firewall as much.
Hopefully I can get welding soon.
Edwin
Dr Evil
Very cool smile.gif
VaccaRabite
Nice!
edwin
Hasnt been much progress in the last month due to work and health but got back to it on tuesday and had a bit of a play.
Installed some door braces so that i can start lining things up.
Messured a bunch of points on the chassis to work out where it's bent. Seems to be only further to the rear and not as bad as i thought. The rear trans mounts are out side to side by about 9mm and the suspension ears are out by maybe 4mm. doesnt seem to bad but will make sure it's closer before too long.
As far as the creased section in the wheel arch i plan to cut a small section as the metal has split and then jack the rear corner up then patch. I'm going to add another stiffener over the top to the back so I dont thinK it will loose any strength.
The door braces are a bit different to what everyone else is doing but i really want to be able to hang the doors with the braces still in place.
I'll put the doors back on this weekend and see how they look.
Panels have been ordered from Restoration Design so work should start getting more frequent.
Cheers
Edwin
edwin
Spent a bit of time yesterday cleaning up the front right quarter. It was full of bog behind the wheel arch all the way to the door. An hour or so had it looking much better. Far from a final job but wanted it looking better for when I put the doors back on in the afternoon.
The door braces are making things easy to adjust gaps but the right rear quarter needs some attention before I do much work on the longs.
The days are getting warmer and longer here so hopefully a little more progress to keep thing interesting
Cheers
Edwin
edwin
Small update again.
Went home to service my daily car and arrived in time to catch a package from Canada.
Very impressed with the service and quality from the guys at restoration design.
edwin
Another long wait for progress and to be honest, not quite sure if it is.
So I pulled the old swing arms off the shelve and found one was very messed up. Seems the car has had the right side replaced at some stage. Lots of porsche spare parts stickers on backing plates etc.
I think by looking closer now that the car has been sideways over a kerb at some point and has bent both suspension mounting areas.
Ordered another set of new arms and they arrived this week but neither of the new arms lines up with the mounting points which means i'll have to get creative or look for a new shell. i think i'll pull the carbonarc out and pull the ears into place then build a jig and replace with a tangerine style setup.
Being here in Australia means simple parts add up on shipping and take a while to arrive and i figure i can have a crack at making the mounts myself. I was never really happy with how the originals were with the cracks and bends.
Problem still exists that the rear trans mounts arent quite even but i cant get a good idea of what the chassis is doing until I get some wheels on and back on the ground.
Seems like a bunch of catch 22's to me but I dont have many options but to push forward now.
see pics of the right side arm that came on the car
Cheers
Edwin
FourBlades

Looks like you have some challenges. sad.gif

The conversion to RHD makes this a really interesting build. piratenanner.gif

If you can pull the suspension points and measure them well you can fix this.

Good luck with the project!

John
cary
I think we should have a new term.

40 year old, 100k mile or more, rust free.
rick 918-S
It looks like you will need to try to fixture the chassis to straighten out that twist. Let me see if I can help you looooong distance.

Show me some "good" photos of the full car and the rotissery both sides. I want to see the car and the floor at the same time. I want to help you get started in the right direction.

First you need to set aside time when you can weld and check measurements and report back. I will check this thread for you and make some suggestions. I have been repairing unibody chassis' for 40 years. I should be able to walk you through some basics that will get you on track.

Things you will need:

Some steel for fixtures

Metric tape measure

Welder

port-o-power

chain

wood blocks

tie wire

A couple levels. (a long one if you have it)
and a BHF! smash.gif laugh.gif

and oh: thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

For steel: I go to the local building supply and by 1 1/2 or 2" black pipe commonly used for plumbing. It's not the strongest but for making up temporary fixtures it not expensive and it's easy to get. When your done you haven't got a bunch of money tied up in steel you are cutting up.

Send me a pm if I don't check back in time. I get pretty busy and don't check every post.
r_towle
QUOTE(edwin @ Aug 28 2012, 09:35 AM) *

Small update again.
Went home to service my daily car and arrived in time to catch a package from Canada.
Very impressed with the service and quality from the guys at restoration design.

Is that a one piece floor pan?
edwin
Thanks heaps for that rick. Will see if I have a copy of the measurements I took on the hoist. Had an afternoon in the shed. Found a BFH and made the suspension fit. Will see what it looks like on Friday when I get it sitting on 4 wheels. Replacing the suspension mount (at least the ears) is now certain and one of the bolts sheared in the outer mount so probably those as well. Debating the tangerine setup but seems more aimed at lowered racers and I know I can make the same thing. The restoration design pieces look good too
The floorpan is 2 pieces
edwin
Well things are a little different now
Seems my reference plane and the levels I was using were no where near accurate enough for this sort of task
Got all the suspension fitted and replaced the rear shocks with threaded rods so I can adjust the ride height and it all measures out prefect. Diagonals and heights
My only concern is that the camber is not the same both sides
I remember reading somewhere (pretty sure it was Andy's thread) that 2.5 ish degrees without camber shims is ideal but is that at ride height or no load?
At the moment I have 0-.3 on the left and 2.0-2.2 on the right. Repeated readings with a digital gauge which should be pretty accurate. That's at ride height of 580mm to the guard no shims
More cracks have opened up now that it is sitting on wheels so the suspension consoles are getting replaced
Cheers
Edwin
edwin
Sorry about the orientation on the pics not sure how to change on the iPhone
Today's job was replacing the rear trunk pan. Should be all welded in by lunch tomorrow
edwin
Seems I'm really good at updating this thread.
Progress has been a little slow but i'm at a pretty good point now
Hell hole is all filled and waiting for final welding which I will do when I replace the rear suspension console. I've had the floorpans srewed on and they fit really nicely.
The job at the moment is adjusting the firewall for RHD and the tilton pedals I have.
Unsure of how vital the rear mounts for the suspension cross member are. They will need to be moved for where I want the pedals. Unfortunately they arent the only thing that needs moving. The box section on the wheel well is really tight but I think I can afford to secion it and remove maybe 10mm. It could work as is but a little thinner would make me feel better.
Once placement is finalized I can fabricate the mounts for the pedal box to attach to and fill in the firewall.
I would really like to use a 911 column in this car and now is the perfect time just waiting for the parts to turn up at a reasonable price. PM me if you have any leads.
Any advice welcome so fire away.
Cheers
Edwin
Eric_Shea
Keep up the good work. smilie_pokal.gif

It sure was nice of that seller to include all of the rust for free...blink.gif
FourBlades
Love this thread. piratenanner.gif

Rick can help you straighten your car out.

Wonder how long before all project 914s left have this serious of issues.

Good ones will dry up sooner or later.

John
edwin
I'm pretty happy with the chassis now. Levelled it on a really flat surface and the only problem is both suspension consoles are broken and will be replaced
I plan on adding stiffening panels on the longs and rear firewall so I'm not too concerned now
boogie_man
Oh heck yeah mate !!!! welder.gif pray.gif That's lookin good
edwin
I was going to wait six months to post this but why not keep this thread up to date.
Spent a couple of hours making some room for my pedals.
The problem i had was with where I wanted the pedals they sat too close to the reinforcing panel in the footwell. You can see how much room there was beside the accelerator in my last lot of pics.
That meant sectioning that piece which was a little daunting.
When in doubt, do it and worry after.
Click to view attachment
I cut straight down the middle so that I could slide the two pieces till i was happy with the fit. you can see they dont really line up that well because of the angles.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A few more cuts and tacked them together and pinned in place.
Click to view attachment
Much happier with the space there now. Might be able to afford to slide the pedals over a tiny bit more to lessen the offset
edwin
Has it been long enough that I can post a progress update?
Been a little distracted with my daily driven Saab 900 off the road. It got a new engine, turbo and Haltech ecu fitted. Had a final dyno tune done the week before Christmas and we got to 152kw at the front wheels. I'm very happy with the result!
As for work on the Porsche it's been slow but the floorpans will be right to go on in the next week or two and that will be a huge milestone. I have the firewall finished and clamped in place and pedals mounted also.
Had a bit of time off this week and after driving my other 914 I'm over the cable clutch. Spent today fitting a hydraulic release bearing to my spare gearbox and its looking great. Will do a trial mounting with engine tomorrow and get the master cylinder installed
Cheers
Edwin
edwin
I've been parts shopping again
Purchased a 911 steering column that I've been chasing forever and a couple of 915 shifters to have a play with
The firewall is just about ready to weld in
euro911
QUOTE(edwin @ Jan 8 2014, 05:58 AM) *

Had a bit of time off this week and after driving my other 914 I'm over the cable clutch. Spent today fitting a hydraulic release bearing to my spare gearbox and its looking great. Will do a trial mounting with engine tomorrow and get the master cylinder installed
Cheers
Edwin
Interesting mods, Edwin thumb3d.gif

Can you share a little more on the hydraulic clutch? ... what brand of master cylinder and slave cylinder are you using?

Click to view attachment
edwin
The hydraulic clutch slave is out of a Saab 900. The pic with the 2 shows how much shorter it has to be. Ideally I would like another 2-3mm of travel as it only has 11mm as it sits
I reworked the mounting plate from that photo too
Still not sure if ill use the Saab slave or just buy a tilton cylinder but I can worry about that when the time comes. For now ill just use a pull type slave that's been sitting in a drawer for a while
3d914
Impressive work - Edwin, Keep it up.
JRust
Wow what a project! That's a hell of alot of welding & panels replaced. Really looking good smile.gif . Keep it up
edwin
Had a bit of a play with the lathe today. Should be able to finish up the prototype on Tuesday but we'll see if it gets to 45*C in the shed like it did today
edwin
Well most of the parts for my new shifter are finished
Got the firewall bushing and forward linkage done. Rear is sorted but I just need to make up the bent rod to connect everything together
I'm going to use a 915 shifter and the forward section of a tail shift setup with a double jointed side shift rear section. Only problem is that the shift pattern will be reversed. Still not sure how I feel about that but I want to see how it shifts first
euro911
Not sure I understand ... why would the shift pattern be reversed?
edwin
Well I got the new shift linkage finished. Just need to buy a boot to seal the spherical joint and a quick lick of paint
I didn't think it would make as much difference as it did. Each gear is very distinct and solid now.
I cut the clutch cable tube out of the car as it had been moved around the tunnel a bunch of times and interfered with the bottom of the shifter. I also used the stock sideshift lever rather than the 915 or tailshift assembly. Ill modify one of the 915 shifters to work like the sideshift I think
Hydraulic clutch now has to happen. I have placement of the slave under control and need to have a look at what options there are for the master
All the while the green project car is still sitting waiting for more work.
edwin
Eric isn't allowed to look as this photo
edwin
Time for a bit of an update.
Have been my yellow 72 a bunch and am really happy with the change to the new shift linkage and also the hydraulic clutch. They are both set for use in the current project.
I had my mate do a quick dyno tune to try and slow the fuel consumption since I put the aftermarket fuel injection on. It drives nice but it's really gutless which is more than a little upsetting and the last thing I need now is to pull the engine and rebuild it.
This week I pulled the body off the rotisserie and back onto wheels with the floor pan temporarily screwed in place. Really happy with placement for all the components. Pedals, shifter and handbrake all fit nicely. Also did a quick trial with the 911 steering column and it will work nicely. I may even use the 911 mounting points given I have to make them regardless.
I'm not quite sure what the best approach for the throttle cable routing will be yet. Because the accelerator is on the far right side and I've already had to section the reinforcing panel on that side, there isn't much room there. One idea is to run a U shaped linkage attached to the firewall that then pulls a cable down the centre tunnel. The other is to bring the cable straight under the seat and pointed directly at the pedal with a foot guard of some sort. Sort of like most mid engine Porsche race cars have done with the clutch cables. Once this is sorted I'll weld the floor pans on.
For now it's going to be back of mind again as I've been distracted with fixing a friends "67 VW panel van. It's getting latter IRS, balljoint front end with discs and a bunch of panels cut out and replaced. I'm hoping that the money I make on this I can put towards someone painting the car for me as it's the part I dread the most.
Any thoughts or observations welcomed
Until the next distraction comes up,
Edwin
euro911
Oh crap, you put the pedal assembly on the wrong side, Edwin !!! poke.gif

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.