Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chris Foley's Tangerine Racing shift linkage kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
I just finished installing Chris Foley's shift linkage kit. The car shifts smooth as silk like a normal car with a 5 speed. It's like night and day! There is no question what gear you are shifting into, the shifts are solid and tight. I first replaced all the bushings using the stock shifter. It was like "what gear am I going to find now?" It would grind going into 1st and my arm was hurting from pushing the shifter as hard as I could to the right to find 4th and 5th, and when shifting into 5th, finding 3rd instead! So I installed a Renn shifter, a little better, but not much. Was not happy. So I sprung for Chris's linkage kit and firewall bearing kit. The car is a pleasure to drive. Thanks Chris for a super engineering job and a high quality kit. If you are not happy with the way your car is shifting, I would highly recommend installing this kit. smilie_pokal.gif
76-914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
moggy
I see no advantage over the Rennshift kit with that. Good to have an alternative I agree. But if your Rennshift like for like kit wasn't working, which looks exactly the same, then I would be asking myself whether it was installed and setup correctly in the first place.
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 28 2012, 11:23 AM) *

I see no advantage over the Rennshift kit with that. Good to have an alternative I agree. But if your Rennshift like for like kit wasn't working, which looks exactly the same, then I would be asking myself whether it was installed and setup correctly in the first place.

Good afternoon, to the best of my knowledge the Rennshift linkage kit is NO LONGER available. That being said, Mr Foleys linkage set-up is 'The Only Game In Town'.
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 28 2012, 01:23 PM) *

I believe he was referring to just the Renn Shifter... not the linkage that James used to sell.
JRust
QUOTE(dadaDaveed @ Jun 28 2012, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(moggy @ Jun 28 2012, 01:23 PM) *

I believe he was referring to just the Renn Shifter... not the linkage that James used to sell.

agree.gif
seanery
The shifter and the linkage kit are apples and oranges.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 28 2012, 08:01 AM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

agree.gif
but I'm pretty sure its mostly a long straight bar...

FWIW my Rennshaft linkage popped off at the last autocross. Ended up back by the wheels. Maybe that's why its not made any more.... but the Rennshift a damn great shifter...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 28 2012, 07:41 PM) *

I'm pretty sure its mostly a long straight bar...

In the case of a -4, the bar has 3 bends. biggrin.gif

My shift linkage kits are not a fabrication project as the JWest kits were.
The kits are delivered ready to install, with a powdercoated shift rod that has permanently installed u-joint(s).
However, installation does require modification of the sideshift console.
JWest
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 28 2012, 07:41 PM) *

FWIW my Rennshaft linkage popped off at the last autocross. Ended up back by the wheels. Maybe that's why its not made any more.... but the Rennshift a damn great shifter...

Properly installed it can't pop off any more than your steering can come apart - if the bolts are put in the grooves on the u-joints then a bolt has to fall out for the linkage to come apart. The splined end may not have been installed far enough and tightening the bolt worked to squeeze the end out instead of capturing it.

When Porsche quit making the rear cover I chose to end my production. I didn't like the idea of a precision linkage under the car without boots and covers, and it was already too expensive without considering making that part myself.

The RennShift shifter will not be a big improvement with worn out linkage and bushings. The tighter the linkage, the greater the gain, and Chris's solution is the best out there.

These parts work together - the shifter changes the dynamics (helps find the right gear without overstiff springs) and removes friction and slop in the shifter area. The Tangerine linkage tightens up the supports without adding binding that can happen if the bushings are made tighter with stock linkage.
jim_hoyland
I sprung for Chris's linkage kit and firewall bearing kit. The car is a pleasure to drive. Thanks Chris for a super engineering job and a high quality kit. If you are not happy with the way your car is shifting, I would highly recommend installing this kit. smilie_pokal.gif

After 7 years, how's it working ? Any suggestions for someone anticipating this project
mepstein
Shifting in a 914 is a system, only as good as it's weakest part. Think of the shifting in 3 parts; shifter, linkage, transmission. Jwest for the shifter. From the shifter to the trans, replace everything you can with Tangerine racing linkage and bushing, then make sure your trans is rebuilt to spec. It's not cheap but to get the best shifting possible, this is the formula.
Larmo63
Ask Keith, @914Toy

He has done both of these mods and swears by them.

I hope he comments here.
VaccaRabite
I have a Rennshift and one of Chris's kits in my car. I really like that combo.

It was touchy to get adjusted properly, but the car shifts way easier now. Night and day different.

Zach

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 15 2019, 05:19 AM) *

It was touchy to get adjusted properly, but the car shifts way easier now. Night and day different.

Zach

Thanks. Did the installation go as planned or are some unanticipated things to watch out for.
gereed75
I have a Weltmiester short shift shifter. It simply provides a longer lever arm to actuate the shift rod.

I have a Tangerine bushing and the kit at the rear that includes a shift shaft and the two bushings at the console. These components translate all of the shift rod motion into precise rotation and linear travel that is required to most efficiently operate the shift mechanism.

The car shifts pretty well, way better than stock where the end of the shift rod is essentially wagging around rather than rotating and sliding.

This so much increases the pleasure of driving these cars. Gives it a much more precise feel. Get one!
mepstein
On my 3.2 conversion, I have a jwest shifter, full jwest linkage kit and dr evil rebuilt trans. The car shifts like a bolt action rifle. Smooth and positive. Pretty awesome on a 914.
I have a stock tailshifter on my 1.7 car. I learned to shift on a loose tailshifter when I was 16, so for me, it's doable but it's night and day.
Cairo94507
Hi Mark- That is the exact set-up I have for my car. I hope it works as well as I envision. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I almost forgot - Zach's handmade shift knob. Icing on the cake. beerchug.gif
914Toy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 14 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Ask Keith, @914Toy

He has done both of these mods and swears by them.

I hope he comments here.

An excellent and relatively easy upgrade, and one that is obvious each time you drive your car.
Luke M

Zach

Hi Zach,

I came across this thread just in time. I'm working on putting together some parts for my side shift conv. on my factory 914-6.
I have a new Rennshifter for my factory 914-6 and now looking at getting the rest of the side shift linkage. I'm looking at the Tangerine Racing shift rod kit which comes with the trans shift housing dual bushing mod and the precision shift adjuster.
Would you happen to have any pics of the trans shift housing mod done ?
Any issues installing/adjusting it ?

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 16 2019, 08:32 AM) *

I have a new Rennshifter for my factory 914-6 and now looking at getting the rest of the side shift linkage. I'm looking at the Tangerine Racing shift rod kit which comes with the trans shift housing dual bushing mod and the precision shift adjuster.

You will be modifying the shift console on the transmission, which is a lot easier to do with the transmission out of the car.

The smart way to do this is to drain the transmission, but I just dammed up the top vents and nothing leaked out.

Once the spherical bushing is in, grease the hell out of it. it is TIGHT against the shifter bar - which it needs to be. Grease will help. I've either gotten used to it, or its broken in a little.

The splined bar going into the console lever was a PITA to get in and indexed properly. Everything has tighter tolerances now.

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes.

Chris provides templates for making all your cuts and holes that need drilling.

I've got pics of just about everything I've done to this car over the past 15 (holy shit - 15?!) years... Its just a question of finding them. I can find the bearing install but will have to search for (or more likely just reshoot) a pic of the console mod.

IPB Image
Spherical bearing installed.

if you are on the fence about this product and you have a Rennshifter- don't be. Buy it. I'm glad I did.

One final word - Mike referred to me as a "horrible person" for lopping off the ear of my perfectly fine shifter console. Maybe ask him for a console with a busted ear already before making the mod. But if you don't be sure to take pictures and tag him in them so you get your dose of the Shreck as well. beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 10:16 AM) *

You will be modifying the shift console on the transmission, which is a lot easier to do with the transmission out of the car.

The smart way to do this is to drain the transmission, but I just dammed up the top vents and nothing leaked out.

Once the spherical bushing is in, grease the hell out of it. it is TIGHT against the shifter bar - which it needs to be. Grease will help. I've either gotten used to it, or its broken in a little.

The splined bar going into the console lever was a PITA to get in and indexed properly. Everything has tighter tolerances now.

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes.

I've got pics of just about everything I've done to this car over the past 15 (holy shit - 15?!) years... Its just a question of finding them. I can find the bearing install but will have to search for (or more likely just reshoot) a pic of the console mod.

IPB Image

if you are on the fence about this product and you have a Rennshifter- don't be. Buy it. I'm glad I did.

One final word - Mike referred to me as a "horrible person" for lopping off the ear of my perfectly fine shifter console. Maybe ask him for a console with a busted ear already before making the mod. But if you don't be sure to take pictures and tag him in them so you get your dose of the Shreck as well. beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif

Zach

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes."

Probably the seatbelt bolt.
@VaccaRabite
Luke M
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2019, 07:18 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 10:16 AM) *

IPB Image

Zach

When I adjusted the shifter, I needed to clearance something (I can't recall what at the moment) where there was an impingement making it difficult going into the 4/5 plane. I know the shift rod was making contact with something, I just can't remember where. I do recall it being easy to remedy once I found it. After I found that, the shifter adjusted easily. For shifter adjustments I used DrEvils notes."

@VaccaRabite

Thanks for the info Zach.. When you locate those pics please post them.
I already have the firewall bushing here so one less thing to get.

That's the first thing that came to me as well. I've had that issue in my 71 which drove me nuts. I had put the wrong length bolt in and it was hitting the shift rod.
I have a spare trans console that the bushing ear is snapped off of. I plan to use that one to modify and install. I better get my shopping list going then.
Eric_Shea
Jim, We put them on everything. The spherical firewall bushing is a must as well. That's a major slop area. A new factory firewall bushing is disgusting.

Everything should go as planned. This is one of the major improvement areas. With a short shift kit they're even more funnerer. Pull the trigger... smilie_pokal.gif
jim_hoyland
Trigger pulled...: Just submitted an order along with the fire wall bushing.... smile.gif
StratPlayer
You won't be sorry jim,, I've had one on my car now for over a year and I love it.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 16 2019, 10:18 AM) *

@VaccaRabite

Nope, wasn't that. the rod that was part of the kit was touching (just barely, but just enough) something. If I got under the car to look I'd see it right off, but I'm in AC and the car isn't.

Also, found the pics of my ear mods:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Zach
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jul 16 2019, 02:22 PM) *

You won't be sorry jim,, I've had one on my car now for over a year and I love it.

Cool, I figured you had it.
Porschef
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jul 16 2019, 06:05 PM) *

IPB Image

That is a thing of beauty...
maf914
Zach,

What did you use to cut off the console ear? A cut-off wheel?

Also, do you use the rear console black plastic boot (or cover)? Does it still fit over the Tangerine dual bushing arrangement?

Thanks.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(Luke M @ Jul 16 2019, 10:44 AM) *

I've had that issue in my 71 which drove me nuts. I had put the wrong length bolt in and it was hitting the shift rod.
I have a spare trans console that the bushing ear is snapped off of. I plan to use that one to modify and install. I better get my shopping list going then.

Ran into this problem also. the bolt supplied with the Renshifter was too long and the front shifting coupler would just touch it in 4th gear. It felt like I was hitting the limit of the shifter. Found it when I was trying to adjust that problem out.
Ground down the rear most bolt mounting the shifter and everything clears now.

Have the Tangerine spherical bushing and bronze console bushing but the stock rod and it shifts fantastic. I can't imagine it being better. Maybe one of these years I will get the Tangerine shift rod, but it doesn't seem necessary right now.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(maf914 @ Jul 17 2019, 09:33 AM) *

What did you use to cut off the console ear? A cut-off wheel?

Also, do you use the rear console black plastic boot (or cover)? Does it still fit over the Tangerine dual bushing arrangement?

I have no idea what I used to cut it off. I remember it was cold as all hell. I probably used a cutoff wheel but I may have used a hacksaw. IIRC the metal the trans is made from (aluminum or mag can’t remember) just loads up a cut off wheel.
brant
shift console mods are great

they made another noticeable improvement over the custom fire wall bushing and renn-shifter

I had all brass bushings and a straight bar prior to the console mods
each thing has helped a little more:

brant
the cup bushing extension is in the picture also
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 12:05 PM) *

Why was that done?
brant
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 17 2019, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 12:05 PM) *

Why was that done?

at full extension a part of the plastic bushing is exposed/pulled out of the cup and unsupported.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 11:33 AM) *

at full extension a part of the plastic bushing is exposed/pulled out of the cup and unsupported.

Only if you use a shift rod head from a tailshift linkage. The correct sideshift shift rod head doesn't allow the cup bushing to be exposed too much.
mepstein
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 17 2019, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 17 2019, 11:33 AM) *

Only if you use a shift rod head from a tailshift linkage. The correct sideshift shift rod head doesn't allow the cup bushing to be exposed too much.

Good to know. I didn’t realize there was a difference. How do you tell them apart.
ChrisFoley
Actually, Brant's picture is of a sideshift piece so I don't understand how it needs an extension unless he moved the shaft further away from the selector on the transmission.
The tailshift piece is a noticeably different shaped casting.
mepstein
Sideshift or tail?
ChrisFoley
Sideshift
mepstein
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Jul 17 2019, 02:31 PM) *

Sideshift

Cool. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.