Full Version: An interesting article from Forbes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
Forbes article: A Hidden Gem

Here is the video portion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG5zMPGX9h4

driving.gif
JawjaPorsche
Nice article but it says: "At one time a 1973 Porsche 914 could be had for well under $40,000!" How well under are they talking about?

They need to do their research better!
rhodyguy
make a "limited edition run"? WTF.gif av-943.gif

k
flipb
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jun 29 2012, 12:18 PM) *

Nice article but it says: "At one time a 1973 Porsche 914 could be had for well under $40,000!" How well under are they talking about?

Hilarious.

I would bet the original article said "well under $4,000" but a copy editor saw it and figured, that can't be right and added a zero.
flipb
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 29 2012, 12:37 PM) *

Hilarious.

I would bet the original article said "well under $4,000" but a copy editor saw it and figured, that can't be right and added a zero.

I tweeted the author (Hannah Elliott) and a few minutes later, the article is changed... no more $40K reference, just says they "could be had for cheap" and are approaching $30,000 for collectors.
zymurgist
Cool! Is Alejandro on 914world?
flipb
This is far & away the best sentence in the article.

In short, their lightweight body, open top and affordable pricing makes them kind of like a Mazda Miata, only they’re cooler in every way.
Madswede
agree.gif av-943.gif

They're "kinda like a Miata" in the sense that just about any car-buying individual could own one and (assuming they like to drive) have fun in them. But I've never heard of anyone putting a V8 in a Miata!
rhodyguy
Monster Miata.

k
zymurgist
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 29 2012, 01:07 PM) *

agree.gif av-943.gif

They're "kinda like a Miata" in the sense that just about any car-buying individual could own one and (assuming they like to drive) have fun in them. But I've never heard of anyone putting a V8 in a Miata!

If I'm not mistaken, some Miata guys swap in small block Ford engines.
Elliot Cannon
One of the best articles, interviews and comments about the 914. Yet it is still picked apart by some. Some of you sound more and more like the PCA 911 crowd. happy11.gif lol-2.gif
JawjaPorsche
"Some of you sound more and more like the PCA 911 crowd!" Them are fightnin words! chair.gif

av-943.gif
monkeyboy
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 29 2012, 10:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 29 2012, 01:07 PM) *

agree.gif av-943.gif

If I'm not mistaken, some Miata guys swap in small block Ford engines.

They sure do. I'd still love to drive one.

I'd buy one, by California Smog would somehow take it from me.

Monster Miata
6freak
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 29 2012, 09:55 AM) *

Hilarious.

I tweeted the author (Hannah Elliott) and a few minutes later, the article is changed... no more $40K reference, just says they "could be had for cheap" and are approaching $30,000 for collectors.

and thats a four banger...gotta love that
smile.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 29 2012, 12:07 PM) *

agree.gif av-943.gif

There's 3 of em running Chevy LS motors at my AX venue.
VaccaRabite
V8, V6, big turbo 4s. All of these have been popular in the Miata for as long as there has been a Miata.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 29 2012, 09:55 AM) *

Hilarious.

What do you expect. She doesn't even spell her name correctly. happy11.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 29 2012, 01:46 PM) *

V8, V6, big turbo 4s. All of these have been popular in the Miata for as long as there has been a Miata.

@Harris Hill Road Outlaw AX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdO2SCTFfV8&feature=plcp

This one is a cammy LS6 and is absolutly incredible.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Madswede
I stand corrected. Makes sense of course, but I just hadn't seen one myself.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 29 2012, 09:18 AM) *

One of the best articles, interviews and comments about the 914. Yet it is still picked apart by some. Some of you sound more and more like the PCA 911 crowd. happy11.gif lol-2.gif

agree.gif In the video, his point that the 914 is still relevant today is right on target. He highlighted two trunks, removable hardtop, great mpg and go-kart handling. To me, he captured the essence of a 914.

You NY guys need to look Alejandro up. Shouldn't be hard to find...who knows, go as a group and you may get free food! happy11.gif
Woody
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 29 2012, 02:00 PM) *

I stand corrected. Makes sense of course, but I just hadn't seen one myself.

I hadn't seen any till I started getting more serious with the local AX scene. It's somewhat amusing because the owner of the blue car is always teasing me to dump an 8 in my teener. He still has a bit of development left to do on the car so he's usually not that much faster than me.
flipb
Appears he joined the site in 2011.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=12890
toolguy
delete.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 29 2012, 02:15 PM) *

seems like a creditable 'expert' would have used a better example vehicle for the video than one in the crappy condition the green car was in. . .
what do you expect from someone who runs a food business and speaks with so called authority about the 914. . .He said
Porsche was nearly bankrupt in 1970/ at the heights of the Can Am 917's killing everything in sight. ??? . . and a 73 914 actually getting 30 MPG. . that would be at 55 on a long hill as I remember. .

I beg your pardon? My 73 914 got 41mpg at 55 mph (remember the national speed limit?) up hill or down hill. it got 30mpg @ 75mph.
Woody
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 29 2012, 02:15 PM) *

seems like a creditable 'expert' would have used a better example vehicle for the video than one in the crappy condition the green car was in. . .
what do you expect from someone who runs a food business and speaks with so called authority about the 914. . .He said
Porsche was nearly bankrupt in 1970/ at the heights of the Can Am 917's killing everything in sight. ??? . . and a 73 914 actually getting 30 MPG. . that would be at 55 on a long hill as I remember. .

Mine used to get 30 when it was a stock FI 1.8 and before the wonderful ethanol fuel came to be. Now with the angry 2056 I get a little more than half of that.
KELTY360
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 29 2012, 12:15 PM) *

confused24.gif Looks to me like a car that's getting driven a lot. Get your facts in line. I don't know about the near bankruptcy part in 1969 but I do know that the 914 was introduced as an entry level car to increase sales and that the 917 was not 'killing everything in sight" in '69. As far as mpg, I had a new '73 1.7 and routinely got 30-35 at 75, at least until the 55 speed limit hit in Oct '73. Then I couldn't even get into 5th gear legally.

The guy is obviously a 914 enthusiast and doesn't deserve to be dogged like that.
GeorgeRud
Agreed!

However, there are enough of us around that got these cars when they first came out that like to preserve the actual history as well. It's best to inform, not criticize.

Nothing that a good reading of Excellence Was Expected can't cure!
Porschef
Can't read the boat transoms or recognize the harbor but looks like the North Fork of LI....filmed two different interiors; one with a dash cover, one with "original" cracks....
ChrisFoley
The green car can be seen up close at my shop next week.
Alejandro called yesterday to say it was being flatbedded up for some engine diagnosis/repairs.
The car is unrestored/unmodified, and still being driven regularly.

The location of the video is probably on eastern LI. Last year after Alejandro picked up the car from my shop he was headed to the New London ferry.
AndyB
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 14 2012, 08:34 AM) *

The green car can be seen up close at my shop next week.
Alejandro called yesterday to say it was being flatbedded up for some engine diagnosis/repairs.
The car is unrestored/unmodified, and still being driven regularly.

The location of the video is probably on eastern LI. Last year after Alejandro picked up the car from my shop he was headed to the New London ferry.

Nice daily driver.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.