Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The MEGA six
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixerdon
I'm surprised non of you guys spotted this.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3105231664.html

Way to go, Toolguy! I hope you get it!

Don
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 30 2012, 06:07 AM) *

I'm surprised non of you guys spotted this.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/3105231664.html

Way to go, Toolguy! I hope you get it!

Don

Wow, what a nice car. It's definitely one for big money....
KELTY360
Remarkable car. I hate to nitpick but the presentation raises a question: how can it be claimed as "original as manufactured" with a complete strip and repaint?
SLITS
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 30 2012, 06:58 AM) *

Remarkable car. I hate to nitpick but the presentation raises a question: how can it be claimed as "original as manufactured" with a complete strip and repaint?

Let's not get testy now. It doesn't have the original gas in the tank, oil in the engine or air in the tires either!

That's just a little more than half of the starting bid on a real 914/6 GT was going for.
Mike Bellis
Nice car... Too rich for my CSOB ass...

I hope he gets it. smile.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 30 2012, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 30 2012, 06:58 AM) *

Let's not get testy now. It doesn't have the original gas in the tank, oil in the engine or air in the tires either!

That's just a little more than half of the starting bid on a real 914/6 GT was going for.

You left out no original radio waves in the antenna. slap.gif

I just knew a CW like SLITS would bust my chops for asking. The question doesn't relate to the quality of the car so much as the semantics of description. I fully appreciate a meticulous restoration and it's value is so beyond my means that it's ludicrous for me to even question, but I'll do it anyway. What's the relevance of low mileage when the car has required a complete strip & repaint of the body along with a rebuild of the engine and transmission? Maybe I should just be asking what "original as manufactured" means.
billh1963
It's a beautiful car and will be nice for a collector.

At that price range the target is buyer is most likely a wealthy collector who buys cars for his "museum"
sixnotfour
testing 1-2-3 testing
toolguy
I'm the 3rd owner. . around 2008, the second owner starting letting the car sit outside in the weather rather than inside storage. . . mice ate most of the rubber and plastic. . the paint was marginally OK, had a little very minor rust, but the whole car needed to be taken apart so I did a full restoration. . It was driven 1,117 documented miles {Calif Smog Documents} from 1990 until I got it in 2011.

My enjoyment is in the restoration, and after they are done I usually start looking for the next project. .

This car is really too nice to drive, anyway after all the work I did it is to me. . It's been driven 3 times for 60 miles since the restoration to sort it out. . . they were a blast, but then it's a month of cleaning to get ready for the next Concours. .

So at this point in time, it's either sell it and move on to another project car, or start to drive it more. . . I figured I give the 'sell it' option a try. If I don't get any inquires, maybe that will motivate me to drive it and enjoy it. . .

PS about the drilled rotors. . When I restored it, I knew there was the chance it would get driven, and I've done a lot of time trial and autocross in the past. . . so I added what was needed to make it perform properly. It's got later Carrera suspension and brakes.. . . . I kept all the original suspension parts fully restored and bagged in case it needs to go back to complete stock.

jcambo7
QUOTE(toolguy @ Jun 30 2012, 12:12 PM) *

I'm the 3rd owner. . around 2008, the second owner starting letting the car sit outside in the weather rather than inside storage. . . mice ate most of the rubber and plastic. . the paint was marginally OK, had a little very minor rust, but the whole car needed to be taken apart so I did a full restoration. . It was driven 1,117 documented miles {Calif Smog Documents} from 1990 until I got it in 2011.

My enjoyment is in the restoration, and after they are done I usually start looking for the next project. .

This car is really too nice to drive, anyway after all the work I did it is to me. . It's been driven 3 times for 60 miles since the restoration to sort it out. . . they were a blast, but then it's a month of cleaning to get ready for the next Concours. .

So at this point in time, it's either sell it and move on to another project car, or start to drive it more. . . I figured I give the 'sell it' option a try. If I don't get any inquires, maybe that will motivate me to drive it and enjoy it. . .

PS about the drilled rotors. . When I restored it, I knew there was the chance it would get driven, and I've done a lot of time trial and autocross in the past. . . so I added what was needed to make it perform properly. It's got later Carrera suspension and brakes.. . . . I kept all the original suspension parts fully restored and bagged in case it needs to go back to complete stock.

I knew it looked familiar. Just couldn't remember your forum name.
Mr.242
pray.gif I'm a FAN.

Hope the price is obtained and swinging for the fences is always what people remember!

Good Luck!
messix
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Jun 30 2012, 10:20 AM) *

pray.gif I'm a FAN.

Hope the price is obtained and swinging for the fences is always what people remember!

Good Luck!

242, so i saw your $98k fresh true original six restrored car this week and you are driving it!

toolguy, i hope you get a fair price for the car. it does look very nice.

that asking price looks more like what you might get if you could get it into the big auctions and have a drunk fat wallet guy wanting to get his face on tv.... shades.gif

no malice intended. good luck, that much work does cost money and time.
eric9144
I've seen this car in person, Toolguy has addressed every aspect of this car possible the right way and I can understand his feelings of it being "too nice to drive."

Right now the car presents as though it was snatched from the floor of the Porsche museum, if he can get close to that money then all of you with /6's should be jumping for joy!

And for the super solid /4's out there it means the value on those will take another big leap in the future...

Good Luck with the sale Dave! beerchug.gif
toolguy
Thanks Eric..
Here's the car at a recent PCA ConcourClick to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. Thanks for bringing up the make and model for all of us...
dlkawashima
Wow, that's a beautiful car, but the asking price leaves me in kind of a quandary. If achieved, the value of my 2.0 will likely go up, which of course is a good thing. But that is just an astronomical jump in price for a standard 914-6, and any hope I have of one day owning one will be long gone. Nevertheless, good luck with the sale!
sixnotfour
Cars in general are worth what they sell for, these days it does not mean they all will , but at the point in time some one may or may not buy the -6.
Good luck tool guy,
BTW i spent 50k for my GT in pieces from pics in a heart beat. Chicago pete sold his for 125K the next month with not one factory GT part on it. It is a fantastic car though.

Timing is everything.
sixerdon
Here are some additional pictures from a previous thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...164248&st=0

rick 918-S
Well I don't know about craigslist as the best place to run an ad for a high end car. If it were mine I would find a big box auction. That's where the Alien is going if I ever get bored with her. As far as the price goes. Anyone that thinks a full on bare chassis high end resto is cheap and easy it's not. If you pick the right car and get it into the right market you can come out on the other side a winner. Many try few succeed. I hope you get your asking price or close to it.
bcheney
Stunning car. Attention to detail is top notch and someone looking for a correct, running showpiece will gladly pay top dollar. Good luck with the sale.
hot_shoe914
That's where the Alien is going if I ever get bored with her

lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
siverson
Great looking car!

A question: why grey on the struts? That was never done like that from the factory, right?

http://images.craigslist.org/5I55Kd5M23Lb3...387fbd81847.jpg

I'm actually in the process of re-finishing mine, and am considering colors other than black...

-Steve
sixnotfour
factory sixes where grey.
siverson
> factory sixes where grey

Thanks - that's news to me.

-Steve
Lennies914
IF I was shopping for a car, and this was potentially my dollar amount, I wouldn't be shopping on craigslist. Just my .02

That is a beautiful car and I wish you the best on her sale. pray.gif pray.gif
seanery
If I was shopping for a car, I'd check all outlets available -eBay, Craigslist, Panorama, autotrader, Hemings, and anything else.
bill pierce
boy is that nice!
sean_v8_914
thanks for bringing it out to the SDR AX this weekend.
sean_v8_914
"static display"
sean_v8_914
even the hardware has the proper color finish. Dave matched teh primer under teh paint to what the factory used.
smj
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 1 2012, 04:34 AM) *

Well I don't know about craigslist as the best place to run an ad for a high end car. If it were mine I would find a big box auction.
Sure, but then there's the commission and fees to consider. Doesn't hurt to try a couple venues without that overhead first, given that in this case the seller knows full well what kind of money the car should bring. No?
porbmw
Absolutely beautiful!

beerchug.gif

Since I'm picking away at a 6 resto, and pretty unlearned...couple of questions...

a)Didn't know the struts on a 6 were OEM grey (oops...is that gray?)...but the muffler heat shield also...? Is the heat shield on a 6 different from that on an early or late non-6...in shape or colour...oops color?

b)the engine grill/mesh on the lid, and the 2 pieces ot the side...is black...but what about the sheetmetal beneath it. On the non-6s, the sheetmetal is kind of a trim black....was it different for the 6s.

Would appreciate clarification....as the 6 I have has lots of shiny signal orange paint "everywhere"...including the shield and the engine lid area. I was going to leave the shield that nice orange, but go black in the engine lid area....

Thanks

Paul
toolguy
The struts are definitely gray on a 6. . and they were Boge struts from a 911T. . if they were on a 911 they would have been matte black

the muffler shield is different for a six. . it is removable, there are six screws under the undercoat in the trunk. . . they have gold cad slip on speed nuts on the shiled. . I believe Four's were welded on. I'm not sure what the original color for the shield was, but the Gray was what was the base color on my shiled. . . and it is a nice contrast with the silver bottom. .

Under the engine grill is suppose to be flat black. . . I left mine the silver car color strictly for the fact the color shows how perfect the paint is under the grill. . . if it was black, Concour judges would be sticking their fingers in there trying to find dirt. . this way they just look at it an know it's perfect. . I'd paint it black if I was going to the Parade
sixnotfour
Early -4's heat shields were screwed on as well, there are 2 style of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.