Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New seats with houndstooth centers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
My stock black basket weave seats had seen better days. The vinyl on the bolsters was cracking and dry. The bottom cushions had holes in them. I thought about getting OEM style recover kits, but I really wanted something unique. I like the look of historic Porsche and Mercedes cars with plaid or houndstooth cushions and backrest and figured I could get them recovered in this style if I could find an upholstery fabric I liked. I like to minimize cost and am not concerned about authentisity so the Auto Atlanta plaids at $130 a yard did not interest me. I found this houndstooth on e-Bay -- 9 yards, for $104 delivered to my door, and I found an upholstery shop willing to supply the black vinyl and redo both seats using the existing covers as a pattern and all for a reasonable price. Best of all, the upholster's wife liked the upholstery fabric I picked out and he bought the remainder for $50. So all in the houndstooth upholstery cloth, which was is a high end Ralph Lauren product, ended up costing only $54. I would highly recommend the upholstery shop:

Enrique's Auto Upholstery
1045 Montague Expy
Milpitas, CA 95035
408-771-6221

mepstein
Very nice!
rick 918-S
beerchug.gif
Black22
biggrin.gif Very Nice!!!
reharvey
Wow! Cool
KELTY360
Very classy!
carr914
Looks like you will get good wear too beer.gif
pt_700
very nice job they did! what do you think the cost would be for them to recover 2 seats in stockish vinyl?
seanery
I like these a lot!
hydroliftin
Thanks for all the positive comments. I took my car out to the local cars/coffee gathering this morning and people seem to like the new seats.
tod914
Wow, those really turned out nice! They did you a solid.
Mike Bellis
So what did the upholstery shop charge for the total? confused24.gif
scotty b
agree.gif those not only look great, but they look like they could have been a factory opition first.gif
hydroliftin
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 3 2013, 06:49 PM) *

So what did the upholstery shop charge for the total? confused24.gif

I think it was about $250 or $300. Enrique is worth seeking out. Very honest, and a fine craftsman. He said it was more work than he had planned, however, so I might have gotten lucky on the price.
wndsnd
Very Nice!
ScoopLV
Looks like an appearance group option. Very well done. I have a feeling Enrique is going to see more 914s in the near future.
SUNAB914
Great idea, cost and one of a kind!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.