Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - Grant (Copy) Steering Wheel Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
toadman
Looking for center cap and plastic trim collar for my Grant (copy) wheel. The center hole diameter is 2 inches. I got one trim piece when I bought the wheel and used it to cover the splined hub and the gap between the base of the metal wheel support and the wiper/washer/signal levers. This black plastic piece is about 2 inches tall. Thanks!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
That does not look right to me. I think the piece I sent you replaces the one that is bolted to the wheel. The wheel is to far away from the turn/ light stalk. That piece looks like an extension. Did you get the piece I sent?
toadman
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 1 2012, 05:25 AM) *

That does not look right to me. I think the piece I sent you replaces the one that is bolted to the wheel. The wheel is to far away from the turn/ light stalk. That piece looks like an extension. Did you get the piece I sent?

Yes, I got the piece you sent: the splined hub with the attached plastic horn ring and integrated turn signal trip. The splined hub has three holes and does not attach directly to the wheel (which has five holes). There is only one way for the hub to go on the steering shaft with the horn ring and turn signal trip pointing toward the dash. I agree that it does not look right but I spent considerable time trying to get these parts to fit together and this is the best I could come up with.

I am away from home for a few days but when I can I will post pics of how I have put together these parts. Thank you for your help.
toadman
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here are the pics of how I put these parts together.

AFAIK there is only one way to put the splined hub on the steering shaft with the horn ring and turn signal trip facing the dash. There is a clip on the shaft that keeps the hub from going to far. This ensures all the hub and shaft splines are fully engaged. Unfortunately the integrated horn ring and turn signal trip do not reach the horn springs so I removed this piece and used longer screws and nylon spacers to get it to the right position.

There is only one way for the hub to attach to the cage (3 bolts) and for the cage to attach to the wheel (5 screws). I agree that it does not look right but I do not have any other ideas on how to put these parts together. Any advice would be appreciated.

toadman
Another pic. One of the three bolts that fastens the hub to the cage is missing but it does go where the hole is.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.