Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: antenna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I finally got around to putting in a stereo. Problem the PO filled over the hole for the antenna. I kind of like the look without the antenna on the fender. What other options are there? I remember my old man had a few antennas broken off his old Maverick while we lived in Jersey City. He replaced the antenna with one that sticks to the inside windshield. I went to a few flaps and they give me a blank stare when I ask about them. Even JC Whitney let me down, and they are known for crap like this.
skline
I am either going to install a power antenna in the rear panel behind the sail panel or not run one at all. The stereo in mine is an MP3 player and can play 10 hours on one CD. I highly doubt I will ever be in the car for 10 hours straight.
DougC
I have the same situation as you, where the PO covered all the holes on the body - side marker/running lights and antenae. I really like the look and am considering a more modern antanae to match the Harmon Kardon TrafficPro the I recently purchased. Some that I like are the ones mounted on my M3 or the ones on newer BMWs and VWs. I'd also consider one that mounts to the inside of the windshield, but haven't a clue where to get them - maybe Crutchfield? Here's something like what I'm talking about, more modern but maybe not this exact one..
DougC
Oops forgot to add the picture.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 20 2004, 05:53 AM)
... I highly doubt I will ever be in the car for 10 hours straight.

unless you're stuck in traffic, wishing you could get traffic reports from KNX...
iamchappy
This one works great, power antenna is out of view when seated gets great reception and costs less than 20 bucks at the local flaps.
iamchappy
Also it was the first thing Qarl noticed when he got in the car. When the stereo is on there is a tiny red LED light that is illuminated. Qarls ? to me "Whats That For".
JmuRiz
That's the one I have (yet to be installed, as I need to put a tint stip at the top of the windshield). I got the idea from a local 914 guy...filled in antenna hole looks great on his car and this was the solution. Got mine at autozone, FYI
DougC
Why do I feel like my local Autozone is not going to have it. I like that one and will use it if I can find one.

Doug C
ruddyboys
Do you remember the maker and model, so when I go to the FLAPS they don't give me that blank look.
Carlitos Way
Has anyone tried to put a "powered" antenna in the "stock" 914 hole?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Carlos
ClayPerrine
If you look in the lower RH corner of this photo :

IPB Image

You will see the top of the antenna in Betty's 914. It retracts completely below the fender. I got it when I was still fixing cars. It's a 80s-90s caddy antenna. Customer brought a brand new one for about 150.00 from the dealer and paid me to install it. I took the old one and bought a delco mast kit for 12 bucks and fixed it. Bought the screw in fitting for the top for another 15 bucks. Don't have to worry about dumbass kids breaking the antenna off just for the thrill of vandalizing a Porsche.

Check the wrecking yards. There are hundreds of them there, and even if the mast is broken, it's a cheap fix.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.