Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: casual car show/concours presentation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
For those of you who display your 914 or 911 or TR-6 or MGA or whatever, just what should be presented, and what can (or should) be left out?

My thinking has that the presentation would typically include that which was delivered with the car when it was new. That would be the owners' manual, maintenance book, dealer directory and tool kit.

An original sales brochure for the model year and/or color chart might be acceptable.

Anything else such as magazines, awards, posters, print media, testimonials, and "cute" automobile trivia are best left at home or in a box, away from the displayed car.

These would be acceptable to have on display, but only if necessary.........
1970 Neun vierzehn
Not this stuff......
Jasfsmith
[/quote]

I would consider the factory user manual, service record and tools as mandatory. The COA should be available only if the event requires such.
6freak
[quote name='Jasfsmith' date='Jul 2 2012, 07:01 AM' post='1702997']
[/quote]

I would consider the factory user manual, service record and tools as mandatory. The COA should be available only if the event requires such.
[/quote]
..I agree ...your not selling it your showing it .....

smile.gif
sixerdon
Paul, I would have to disagree with you to an extent. I believe it is more relative to the venue on which the car is being displayed. Is it just a non-competitive display?...a people's choice?......top only concours?......full concours?......preservation? From my point of view, I like to display the history and provenance of a car. Some people will haul out all their past 4 foot high trophies or display a scale model likeness. Each to his own. For PCA, I have never witnessed anyone for overdoing a display and getting gigged for it. What about the window sticker?......original bill of sale?......they came with the car. (COA did not and is generally unreliable) Placement of the artifacts must also be considered. Are the components of what you list displayed on the ground or in it's appropriate place in the car?
What should be considered first is what is the venue and what is required on the judges sheets. Ask the judge for an opinion and what they expect to see.
Good subject.
Don
Pat Garvey
OK, you had to know I'd add my comments here.

I think Don hit a good note!

In particular, if the event is is a non-judged event (i.e., Peoples Choice, wash & shine, etc.) These events are NOT a concours, and anyone who calls it one is only fooling themselves! At these events the owner is attempting to garner favor with the "non-judges" by showing all the bling he/she can come up with. They want to win, and will show it on the car's resume if they do. Meaningless to me, but draws attention to others. I also think it's tacky, particularly if the "bling" is displayed in portions of the car.

If the event is a true "classic" concours, being judged by knowing judges, I feel that nothing that wasn't delivered with the car should be displayed, and everything should be in its usual place and "as delivered". All cleaning materials should be away from the car, and no further dusting permitted once judging begins on the class. COA is out, unless it's a Parade (it and the PCR's are both nebulus anyway).

If the rules of the "classic" event indicate that "bling" is permitted, so be it. If the rules of the event do not have a "bling" factor, talk to the chairman.

Things have changed with concours. Many are simply car shows. And that's for a reason - no one wants to be a judge or they're too old. Can't tell you how many "classic" concours events I chaired and when experts saw me coming for judges they hid in the bushes. I've done it too. Once you're tagged it's forever. That's why most events are not judges anymore.

So, and this is my opinion only, if it's a "classic" event get the rules amd make that chairman live to them. If it's a people's choice or wash 'n shine event, pull your "bling" out & display it (outside of the car).

The game has changed. The only time you'll see a "classic" concours will be at the Parade, zone events and few regional events. Those will have serious judging.
I don't like it but that's just the way it is now. And it won't go in reverse.

MOAISTI!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.