Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - No-CellPhone Section
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
NoCellPhone Section Story Link

some people are loud all the time and don't need a cell phone as an excuse...

i have asked on several occasions for the "No Screaming Children" section.
i'm still waiting on official recognition for that one.

i applaud parents and understand how difficult it is. i'm glad that they're able to continue their public lives with kids in tow. but if you can't keep the child quiet, it has no business being in a quiet restaurant.

parents: if you knew a restaurant had a room where you could go and not be constantly having to '
shush' a fussy child, or even a happy, gregarious but LOUD child - wouldn't you use it ?
Jeroen
I couldn't agree more. Both on cellphones and on kids
URY914
I heard a story somewhere about churches installing cell phone signal blocker/jammers.

I think I get one for my house. Than my boss can't call me at home. biggrin.gif

Paul
Root_Werks
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 20 2004, 06:54 AM)
I heard a story somewhere about churches installing cell phone signal blocker/jammers.

Paul

idea.gif chairfall.gif
Demick

Gee. My cell phone already has one of those installed on it. It's called an 'off' button. I use it every time I get home. biggrin.gif
Joe Bob

Paul

Japan does it all the time in restaurants and movie theaters....

Illegal here in the US....FFC regs.

Iraq conoys uses them as cell phnes can be used as cheap remote detonators.
kafermeister
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 20 2004, 11:33 AM)
Gee. My cell phone already has one of those installed on it. It's called an 'off' button. I use it every time I get home. biggrin.gif

Wow! I wish I could do that. I'm on call 24x7 blink.gif
phantom914
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 20 2004, 07:36 AM)

Illegal here in the US....FFC regs.......

What does the Fall Foliage Classic have to do with it? huh.gif

Andrew
maf914
QUOTE(Demick @ Oct 20 2004, 07:33 AM)

Do all cell phones have an off switch? Those cell phone users dodling along in the left hand lane don't seem to or don't know how to use it! ar15.gif
Jake Raby
Its beginning to get to the point where if you don't want to hear someone bitch about something you'll have to dig a hole and bury yourself.... headbang.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 20 2004, 06:33 AM)

parents: if you knew a restaurant had a room where you could go and not be constantly having to '
shush' a fussy child, or even a happy, gregarious but LOUD child - wouldn't you use it ?

My favorite restuarants have an area in a corner of the place that has stuff for the kids to play with. It's not a separate room but it works fine. We try not to go to "quite" restuarants, if we want a peacefull meal we leave the kids with Grandma and Grandpa.

As for the cell phone thing goes, deal with it they aren't going anywhere.
ClayPerrine
My opinion on the screaming children thing.. I think that it should be legal to shoot someone's bratty screaming kid with a tranquilizer dart. It would put them to sleep, and the parents would be forced to take care of them for the rest of the evening instead of ignoring them.

As for the cell phones.. I want to get a cell phone jammer and put it in my car. Then drive down the road at rush hour killing people's conversations and forcing them to pay attention to driving.
skline
I have to agree, the cell phones in traffic are a severe problem. The worst being and I quote "Women in SUV's on cell phones are extremely dangerous" I was sitting at an intersection the other day and counted 16 cars go by with the drivers all talking on the phone. Santa Monica was going to pass a law that you cannot talk on a cell phone while driving. I think that law should be passed everywhere. My parents were hit by some teenage girl driving while she was on the phone. Dad said she just kept talking even after the accident. It is way out of hand, half the people in California cant drive well even when they are not on the phone, it just makes it worse.
dmenche914
On the subject of phones and driving, keep the big governments nose out of my bussiness. I can talk safely on the phone when driving, no hands free unit either. I just use common sense. I have heard of studies that indicate cell phone use is about as distracting as talking to passengers, dealing with screaming kids, eating, selecting a song on the cd player etc....

I was severly injured in a wreck, requiring surgery, and over two years recovery when some stupid dumb ass hit me. She calimed she spilled her soda pop while driving, causing the distraction that caused her to rear end me at 50 mph while I was at a red light. She also told me not to worry, she had done this before, and hence had insurance (she had the bare minimum, which only covered 1/3 of my costs, fortunatly I had ample uninsurred coverage which i purchased)

So before you ban cell phones when driving, lets ban eating, talking, kids, and CD players. Hell won't effect me, as i often drive alone, rarely eat in the car, do not have kids, nor a CD player.

Or better still, lets prosecute bad drivers for bad driving, how about weekend jail time (or communitee service) when you are stupid, and injure someone?

I suffered for two years, and all that dumb assed driver got on her second accident was a little ole tickect, hell she didn't even have enough insurance, maybe she should loose her licesnce, and her car! Then maybe next time she would take driving more seriously, hell if she still does not learn, pull her driving privalage forever! That is what might save someones life, not banning cell phones.

Now I bet you that would cut down on all types of accidents, once folks understand the consiquences of their stupidity effects them.

Same goes for the dumb ass that broke my back while I was riding my bike in the bike lane, and she side hits me with her car. Her excuse, I was riding to fast, and she didn't see me (yeah, if you didn't see me, how did you know my speed?) all she got was a tickect, back on the road that day. No bad consequences for her stupidity to her.

So lets get some common sense here, do not ban a specific activity, that millions do safely everyday, the root cause is drivers that do not care to concentrate on driving They can and are distracted by anything under the sun.

PS Hand free phones are not the ansewer, for the reasons above, it is the driver, not the phone. I have personelly witnessed drivers fumble to plug in the phone, and the ear piece while driving when a call comes in, and it sure as hell looked unsafe to me.

We need to prosecute, pull liscence, seize cars to encourage safer driving. This will lead to awareness. This is the same tactic that MADD has used agianst drunk drivers, up the penalties (a DUI used to be a slap on the wrist, not anymore), increase awareness, and just like DUI accendents have gone down, the accident rate will drop, the bad drivers will be penalized, and good drivers will still enjoy the freedom of using devices that they have learned to use responsibly. To ban one class of distraction is not addressing the root problem, drivers that do not pay attention period.
vortrex
in philly it's common for people to carry on long and loud cell phone conversations in the movie theater, it's really enjoyable to listen to.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vortrex @ Oct 20 2004, 10:09 AM)
in philly it's common for people to carry on long and loud cell phone conversations in the movie theater, it's really enjoyable to listen to.

that could be an unhealthy activity to engage in, in a darkened place, in a state with 'shall issue' concealed carry laws - and legal private ownership of suppressors...

>pop<

"what was that sound?"

"bubble gum, dear, think nothing of it ..."
Root_Werks
I recently stopped riding my bike to work because people (right or wrong) started pushing me around. A car wieghs 3000+lbs and my Bike with me maybe 700lbs tops. No contest there. Now I leave the driving to the bus driver. sad.gif

Traffic sucks and so do sucky drivers. mad.gif

You should have to pass a drivers test ever 5 years.
thesey914
I think we should all learn some *tolerance*
IPB Image

(But not about the loud mobile phone talking)
rhodyguy
i honk my 2 tone horns, repeatedly, for no appearent reason, frequently. theaters? you guys are way too polite. "the previews are over. if you need to talk, go to the lobby".

kevin
GaroldShaffer
On the subject of phones and driving, keep the big governments nose out of my bussiness. I can talk safely on the phone when driving, no hands free unit either. I just use common sense. .........

So before you ban cell phones when driving, lets ban eating, talking, kids, and CD players.

agree.gif wink.gif

I have seen some way crazy stuff while driving to work. I used to drive 75 miles one way so I spent a lot of time in Chicagoland rush hour traffic. wacko.gif headbang.gif

The best three..... The girl eating a bowl cereal with milk in the middle lane of Rt53 just pass Higgins road (for those that live in that area) and the guy playing trumpet and reading sheet music while exiting 290 on to 294 south.

And the winner, the guy in a big utility truck (The Bedding Experts Truck) that hit the cement divider on 290 then flipped the truck about 6 car lenghts ahead of me blocking the lanes. Went up to make sure everyone was ok and asked what happen, ready for this....... He spilled coffee on his pants which made him jerk the wheel and hit the wall. When he hit the wall he, um..... pain30.gif himself causing him to step on the gas which then caused the truck to go up the wall and slide on its side blocking the lanes. At that point I couldn't be mad anymore and just went back to my truck and waited for the police. laugh.gif
ClayPerrine
agree.gif But I have see worse.... About 2 weeks ago, on Hwy 114 North of DFW airport I saw a flight attendent who was driving about 70 mph in an SUV while looking in the vanity mirror and SEPARATING HER EYELASHES WITH AN OPEN SAFTEY PIN!!!!!

Just the thought of what could have happened give me the heebie-jeebies everytime I think about it. icon8.gif
Lou W
Posted on Oct 20 2004, 12:05 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the subject of phones and driving, keep the big governments nose out of my bussiness. I can talk safely on the phone when driving, no hands free unit either. I just use common sense. .........

So before you ban cell phones when driving, lets ban eating, talking, kids, and CD players.  

agree.gif We don't need any more laws, let's enforce the ones we have. cool.gif
dinomium
Icon Grill in Seattle has a NO CELL FONE rule. IT EFFEN RAWKS!
The real problem here is that Americans are just plain RUDE people. The sence of entitlement is just outragous. Screamin kids loud cell phones, yappin at the movies on and on...
Oh and most are lousy drivers to begin with!

flag.gif Hang up and drive!
mittelmotor
Want safer drivers? Fit every car's steering wheel with a sharpened steel spike. parry.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Leahhayhoe @ Jan 21 2013, 01:47 AM) *

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth....

Why does this strike me as someone wanting to boost a post count by replying to dead threads with paragraphs emitted by a random-grammar-generator ?
JamesM
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 21 2013, 04:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Leahhayhoe @ Jan 21 2013, 01:47 AM) *

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth....

Why does this strike me as someone wanting to boost a post count by replying to dead threads with paragraphs emitted by a random-grammar-generator ?

pretty sure this is an ad bot, notice the link in the post. Scans forums for key words, picks up on them and them posts BS replies with a link
Cairo94507
I can't count how many times my wife and I have gone to dinner and we are among the first couples to be seated in an otherwise empty restaurant. Despite 30 other empty tables the hostess will seat a family with screaming kids right next to us. We quickly get up and relocate to the other side of the restaurant and when the waiter comes over we tell them seating a family with screaming kids next to us when almost all other tables were available was rude and inconsiderate to us-the paying customer.

As for cell phones, I am with you guys, I politely ask them to take their call outside. If they do not comply, I go speak with mgmt. and ask them to resolve the issue. Completely self-centered asshats who think everyone else will be tickled to hear them bitch and moan on their phone. If I had a portable jammer I would carry it with me.

We stopped going to the movies as a result of the same type of people who insist on talking, answering their phone, texting, etc. We have a terrific home theatre system and watch movies at home now.

I generally have little use for people anymore. Sad to say but society is going down hill fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.