Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: power to fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
why would I get power to the "Last resort unfused private swiched +12v" connection, but nothing at the "Pin 12 - Connector T12"?

I wrapped a wire around the pin designated by Andy's description and circled in yellow. Reinstalled the pin in the plastic connector and plugged it back in the relay board.
started the car and check the newly installed wire with volt meter and got nothin'.

....anything simple I should consider? confused24.gif
markb
Why not just use the stock wiring? I did for my carbed 1.7, and it worked fine.
rmital
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 2 2012, 01:56 PM) *

Why not just use the stock wiring? I did for my carbed 1.7, and it worked fine.

...first thing I tried...nothing there either....so I went to the other options without much investigation.

If no simple/quick fix and I have to trouble shoot, I'll just start there again and hopefully find the problem....or maybe they are related?
r_towle
try a different relay board.

rich
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 2 2012, 02:19 PM) *

try a different relay board.

rich

the one I'm using is in pretty tip top condition....one of the best ones off my shelf.
...I'm not to happy with the harness...but like I said, getting 12+v to the last resort connection.... confused24.gif
Tom
rmital,
Because the ECU is not being used the fuel pump relay doesn't have a ground signal to pin 86 and will not operate. You can wire a ground from the 4 pin connector pin #3 to a ground point and it will allow the fuel pump relay to operate.
Then you will have 12 volts at pin #12 of the 12 pin and pin #13 of the 14 pin.
Power for the "last resort 12 volts switched" comes from pin #87 of the power relay, seperate circuits.
Tom
rmital
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 2 2012, 03:04 PM) *

rmital,
Because the ECU is not being used the fuel pump relay doesn't have a ground signal to pin 86 and will not operate. You can wire from the 4 pin connector pin #3 and it will allow the fuel pump relay to operate.
Power for the "last resort 12 volts switched" comes from pin #87 of the power relay, seperate circuits.
Tom

...I did this step depicted below:
rmital
QUOTE(rmital @ Jul 2 2012, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 2 2012, 03:04 PM) *

rmital,
Because the ECU is not being used the fuel pump relay doesn't have a ground signal to pin 86 and will not operate. You can wire from the 4 pin connector pin #3 and it will allow the fuel pump relay to operate.
Tom

...I did this step depicted below:

I do question that one green wire loose on the 14 pin connection. should that be done?
ape914
what are you trying to do? What is the "Last resort unfused private switched +12v" that you want access to? I dont understand the term "private switched" in regards to the 914 electrical system.

i dont understand what your trying to do by "replying to power to the fuel pump". The fuel pump needs no reply to its power. the pump simply needs 12 volts positive and negative to run. There is no reply to power or any signal feedback from the pump.

more data please.
rmital
QUOTE(ape914 @ Jul 2 2012, 03:15 PM) *

what are you trying to do? What is the "Last resort unfused private switched +12v" that you want access to? I dont understand the term "private switched" in regards to the 914 electrical system.

i dont understand what your trying to do by "replying to power to the fuel pump". The fuel pump needs no reply to its power. the pump simply needs 12 volts positive and negative to run. There is no reply to power or any signal feedback from the pump.

more data please.

following the procedure on this site:
LINK
SirAndy
I'm not sure i understand your problem. With the procedure outlined in my how-to, there is no need for anything but ONE wire on the now empty FI connector to GROUND.

This will give you 12V on the stock fuel pump connector right next to where the stock FI fuel pump used to be.

No other wires needed. No need to fiddle with any of the other plugs on the relay board. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

confused24.gif
Tom
That should work. Maybe try replacing the fuel pump realy or at least test it to make sure it is working. Spread the male pins slightly to ensure good contact in the socket.
The green wire is for the heater fan. Should be pin 11 in the 12 pin conn.
Tom
rmital
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2012, 03:29 PM) *

No other wires needed. No need to fiddle with any of the other plugs on the relay board. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

confused24.gif

I figured as much....just didn't work out for me. I must have an issue with the harness somewhere....that why I tried the other options (points on the relay board) layed out in your article.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom @ Jul 2 2012, 12:37 PM) *
The green wire is for the heater fan. Should be pin 11 in the 12 pin conn.

Ignore the green wire in my picture. I had mixed matched years main harness and engine (D-Jet) harness at the time.
The green wire has no effect on the fuel-pump circuit.

shades.gif
anderssj
Just a thought--check that the 2 fuses on the board are good (use a volt/ohm meter). I can't remember which one is linked to the fuel pump, but I've found that if the heater blower doesn't work, chances are the fuel pump won't either . . . .

Hope this helps!

Steve A-
rmital
QUOTE(anderssj @ Jul 2 2012, 04:48 PM) *

Just a thought--check that the 2 fuses on the board are good (use a volt/ohm meter). I can't remember which one is linked to the fuel pump, but I've found that if the heater blower doesn't work, chances are the fuel pump won't either . . . .

Hope this helps!

Steve A-

yes...thanks. replaced them with new ones.

was really hoping this would have been easy....for a change.... huh.gif
r_towle
I just added that one wire, done
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.