Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Leather - is it Finished or Unfinished?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skaufmann
I want to give my leather some TLC after it sitting for 10 years. It's still quite soft for its age but before I start giving it some use I want to treat it.

It seems with the myriad of leather restoration products, they are divided for use on finished and unfinished leather. Products for unfinished leather generally being useless for finished leather as it won't penetrate the surface.

I did find that finished leather is usually only on cars made in the last 10-15 years. I ask, though, because it seems the 914 leather has a *finish* on it. I have no clue if that's the case which is why I'm asking here.

Also as far as products, I've found a lot of the best leather restoration products have been reformulated and do not use animal by-products anymore and now use oils and waxes (Hide Food which is now called Hide Care is an example). All these for use on unfinished leather.

I'm not wanting to turn this into another leather care thread but I haven't seen this finished/unfinished point clarified yet.

Thanks!
r_towle
Stock car has no leather
eric9144
It's all Vinyls in the 914...

If you don't have a product you're set on already, I can recommend this place to go to, it's an auto-body/detail supply store down by the Sports Arena in Mission Valley...been buying their products for years and really like them:

Auto Beauty Products
(619) 296-7333
3570 Hancock St.
San Diego CA 92110

You'd want to clean all the surfaces really well then dress the vinyl, it will likely need to soak and be buffed back out so it's not too slick afterward...
skaufmann
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 2 2012, 10:42 AM) *

Stock car has no leather

Maybe I feel a little stupid now... maybe not too as I'm learning from ground zero. This would also explain why I was suspicious of the *leather* being finished.

Thanks for the clarification!!!
mepstein
Except for some steering wheels
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 2 2012, 11:04 AM) *

Except for some steering wheels

And some of the m471 cars. I know of one with a full leather interior that came like that from the factory.
shades.gif
MDG
And some of the shift boots are leather too
scrz914
...and some of the cars that have been re-upholstered in leather
bembry
and this chick's face...

IPB Image
fteixeira
QUOTE(bembry @ Jul 2 2012, 08:29 PM) *

and this chick's face...

IPB Image

Dang, check out the leather interior on that ride. Sweet! Oh wait.... is that the tanorexic mom's face?
billh1963
That's no chick....
Mark Henry
Tan doesn't hide the ugly.
SUNAB914
bootyshake.gif OH my gosh!
pcar916
Hey be kind. At least she's smiling... and could be somebody's Mom.
nsr-jamie
armorall ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.