Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under driven alternator...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mugs914
Are any of you guys running a larger pulley to underdrive the alternator? I did a search but didn't come up with much for the T-IV.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jul 2 2012, 03:12 PM) *

Are any of you guys running a larger pulley to underdrive the alternator? I did a search but didn't come up with much for the T-IV.

Wouldn't that be a smaller pulley? idea.gif

On my /6, i run a smaller pulley to reduce fan speed which also turns the generator slower ...
popcorn[1].gif
Mugs914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2012, 03:52 PM) *

On my /6, i run a smaller pulley to reduce fan speed which also turns the generator slower ...
popcorn[1].gif

Sorry Andy, I'm talking about the alternator pulley on a four cylinder. Should have been more clear about that, I suppose... rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jul 2 2012, 04:16 PM) *
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2012, 03:52 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Sorry Andy, I'm talking about the alternator pulley on a four cylinder. Should have been more clear about that, I suppose... rolleyes.gif

Oh, i see. I guess running a larger pulley on the alternator would have the same effect (sans changing the fan speed) ...

Doh! headbang.gif
brant
many of the serious type 4 racecars out here are running the alternator off of the CV in an effort to reduce engine load.
Woody
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 2 2012, 07:15 PM) *

many of the serious type 4 racecars out here are running the alternator off of the CV in an effort to reduce engine load.

Cv?
Mugs914
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 2 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Cv?

CV = the CV joint on the rear halfshaft. Most get-serious race cars drive the alternator off of the rear axle.

That is ultimately the plan for this car Brant, but I'm hoping to find an underdrive pulley to run until I have time to fix up the rear-drive alternator.
Woody
QUOTE(Mugs914 @ Jul 3 2012, 12:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 2 2012, 06:00 PM) *

Cv?

CV = the CV joint on the rear halfshaft. Most get-serious race cars drive the alternator off of the rear axle.

That is ultimately the plan for this car Brant, but I'm hoping to find an underdrive pulley to run until I have time to fix up the rear-drive alternator.

That's what I thought y'all meant. Never seen it done before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.